What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well after reading the Big Daddy thread, I had said that it would be the one kit that I would never buy, but we stopped by the Hobby Town store and I had a $50 gift certificate, so I went on and bought the kit..... so I guess I'll have to read about the nose cone modification to keep it from lawn darting.

Well after reading the Big Daddy thread, I had said that it would be the one kit that I would never buy, but we stopped by the Hobby Town store and I had a $50 gift certificate, so I went on and bought the kit..... so I guess I'll have to read about the nose cone modification to keep it from lawn darting.

Easy. Just need some Evergreen polystryrene sheet from Hobby Lobby.

https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/estes-pro-series-ii-doorknob-build.160097/#post-2014624

Today started out a bummer. My cert flight was called on account of rain. My lovely wife left me alone in the basement this morning, so I finished printing the fins on my SpiderMax Build and cut the fin slots. I worked on the motor mount and while I was waiting for the printer, I built a 13mm Goblin. Somewhere in the fit of activity, I fitted the 4" nose cone on my biggest project so far (coming soon), and I started the ESAM-58 fin fillets, but we're not gonna talk about that until they cure and get sanded.

They say the first step is admitting you need help, but I'm good. I'm fine. Really...

SpiderMax_Naked.jpg

Put up 150 square feet of garage-duty shelving in my hobby room, and loaded it. Had to move most of the stuff in the room to another room first, so it was a project. But transformed the hobby room from looking like a hoarding nightmare to looking like a well-organized, well-stocked hobby room.

Aaaand you'll have some more balsa fins to work on!

Dipped some 18mm mini ematches in some 4F BP using nail varnish as the adhesive. Need the next launch attempt to be more successful than last month's lawn dart. These will be used to ignite the 3x24mm Composite E20s in the Banana Republican launch maybe this Sunday. The small amount of BP ought to pep up the ignition.

Ignitors tipped with BP.jpg

Spent an hour on here reading about ring fins. Now my head hurts.

Fixed the broken Paulownia fin on the Radical Rocketry V-2. I need to get better at working with this material as the balsa shortage (bamboo ply shortage, every timber shortage) bites again. I can't help other people with it if I can't do it myself.

Spent an hour on here reading about ring fins. Now my head hurts.

Fixed the broken Paulownia fin on the Radical Rocketry V-2. I need to get better at working with this material as the balsa shortage (bamboo ply shortage, every timber shortage) bites again. I can't help other people with it if I can't do it myself.

Have you considered making your own plywood from (3) layers of balsa or basswood? Are those available to you?

I used regular old plywood like you'd get at the lumber store on my Razorback. Seems to be working out just fine.

The big daddy is a great kit. Really enjoy flying them. I've built several over the years. Some were lightweight quick builds all the way to 29mm, plywood fins, centering rigs etc.

Only changes I recommend is a plywood upper centering ring and fixing the nose cone. Otherwise it's a great kit.

I've flown mine twice on a D12-5... with no mods to the NC except tape, and everything went smoothly.

(Hopefully I didn't just jinx myself.)

Is Woodpecker's good? They sell on Amazon (or at least their stuff gets sold on Amazon) and some of the reviews there say it's pretty warped.
I didn't actually check. I just found a couple of sources as examples. Buyer beware.

I've flown mine twice on a D12-5... with no mods to the NC except tape, and everything went smoothly.
I've got a good few flights on mine, also unmodified, also without incident. Still, the anecdotal evidence is strong enough that I would not build another one stock, and I may get around to modifying the one I've got, just to be on the safe side.

1685983468121.png

I primered, and after a couple of days I went to sand the first coat off, realizing it wasn't primer, but a gloss coat- :dontknow: I'm sure that never happened to anyone here... I did some wet sanding, and got a bit overzealous and put a touch of spot putty on the wound. Some lighter sanding today, and more gloss. I have at least one more round ahead on the main, the glider may be done- I'll look at it tomorrow and decide if it needs any more loving. (it does)

IMG_6060.jpgIMG_6065.jpgIMG_6068.jpgIMG_6069.jpgIMG_6070.jpg

Last edited:
Have you considered making your own plywood from (3) layers of balsa or basswood? Are those available to you?

I used regular old plywood like you'd get at the lumber store on my Razorback. Seems to be working out just fine.

Getting any type of wood for hobby work is difficult ATM. My previous attempts at making balsa ply aren’t up to the standards I’d expect to find in a kit.

LOL

I did not even realize that the Yalga had no motor mount! I launched it Saturday on a C6-0 to C6-5 with a streamer and it recovered fine. Today I went to clean it up and there was NO motor mount in the sustainer. Those rings are REALLY thin. But it probably was I was just too frugal on the glue... I guess? Still the rings are paper thin... I mean thin. But it flew great!

Gonna put an Eggtimer mini wifi switch under the microscope. Why did it power up then, and is dead now?

Nothing else. I need to start painting the Aerotech Astrobee-D parts before final assembly.

Last edited:
MMMM, cookies.
Today I sanded for what seemed like hours. I sanded the filler I put on the Satellite Interceptor yesterday. After the first coats of paint I could still see the wood pattern. I put filler on all the fins and wing. I have been sanding on and off all day. Going to vacuum it and probably sand some more. Late last night I put primer on the new project. Kind of a Sci-Fi vibe. Last night I also dipped some ignitors using QB conductive mix. Did 20. Haven't tested them yet. Maybe later tonight.

Back