What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It was mail day today! I started working on all four kits and really only made significant progress on the Arreaux. Going to sand the spirals tomorrow and the next day and hopefully have the rocket assembled and primed by the weekend. Very excited! I continued to work on the HAWK and tidied up some fillets. Almost done!

Attachments

• 1393F20A-60A8-47C5-974C-5BCEF409BEB8.jpeg
    1393F20A-60A8-47C5-974C-5BCEF409BEB8.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • F25F45F7-BEC7-4C97-9BF9-DE22D1D430B7.jpeg
    F25F45F7-BEC7-4C97-9BF9-DE22D1D430B7.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
Well, no. But you could post a picture of them. That would be nice. Especially the Super Tigre, 'cause you know...

I started looking at control line stuff after I did a swing test on Project Lila. Sweet memories.
In the model engine world these are high performance rockets....

1685605739788.jpg1685605739799.jpg1685605739809.jpg1685605739821.jpg

Last edited:
Have you considered going 3/16" thick? That's enough to make a big difference in stiffness (probably about three times) and would save you some weight compared to 1/4".
It's not a bad idea. I got hung up on 1/4-inch b/c I had slotted tubes for 1/4-inch but I have since decided to slot my own tube, so this is definitely, a consideration. Thanks for the suggestion!

Should I setup the AIM missiles to allow a mini engine in there? Would be cool if you could launch them with electronic ignition after main engines finish lifting main body.
The words "hell" and "yes" come to mind.

To @KenECoyote's point be sure to include brightly colored aluminized streamers. Also, make the missiles as quick and dirty as you can. No 3D printed parts, cheap balsa or plastic nose cones, card stock fins. Include plans to make new ones in a flash when they're lost. That way, recovery is nice but they're basically disposable. Like Tupperware.

Even cooler would be to light them when the rocket arches over so it's more like a plane launching missiles. But, you know, retrieval, safety code, blah, blah, blah. Though, actually, since the flyer will be supplying and configuring the electronics you can't really control that.

The words "hell" and "yes" come to mind.

To @KenECoyote's point be sure to include brightly colored aluminized streamers. Also, make the missiles as quick and dirty as you can. No 3D printed parts, cheap balsa or plastic nose cones, card stock fins. Include plans to make new ones in a flash when they're lost. That way, recovery is nice but they're basically disposable. Like Tupperware.

Even cooler would be to light them when the rocket arches over so it's more like a plane launching missiles. But, you know, retrieval, safety code, blah, blah, blah. Though, actually, since the flyer will be supplying and configuring the electronics you can't really control that.

Haha! Appreciate the support... This would be consider an "untested" feature... but I love to give folks options!

It was a beautiful day, so I put the top down on my Mustang convertible, drove up to DC, around the beltway, out US-50 and across the 4.3 mile long Chesapeake Bay Bridge to pick up some 76mm liners and casting tubes and a pail of AP. Here's a couple pics from opposite ends of the bridge.
CB Bridge.jpg cb bridge 2.jpg

We actually went under the bridge once while on a cruise to Bermuda that left out of Baltimore.

Attachments

• CB Bridge.jpg
    CB Bridge.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 0
I finished painting the matte black on the LOC 3" Black Brant X. After the storm go by tomorrow and the skies clear up, I'll put the silver band on it and paint the silver at the top of the payload section and on the nosecone. I'm not a fan of the paint scheme that's on the LOC site, so I did some research and found a cool picture of a Black Brant X on the rail at Wallops Island.

At the library looking for kids books for summer reading and came across this. Seems like a great way to introduce kids to rocket science. $12 on Amazon (and much cheaper used).

View attachment 583777
View attachment 583778View attachment 583779
And I already learned this story from the start of the book (and then found on NASA's site):
"One of the first devices to successfully employ the principles essential to rocket flight was a model pigeon made of wood and suspended from the end of a pivot bar on wires. The writings of Aulus Gellius, a Roman, tell the story of a Greek named Archytas who lived in the city of Tarentum, now a part of southern Italy. Somewhere around the year 300 B.C., Archytas mystified and amused the citizens of Tarentum by flying a model pigeon. Escaping steam propelled the bird, which was suspended on wires. The pigeon used the same action-reaction principle as the rocket, which was not stated as a scientific law until the 17th century."

Lost a screw from a terminal block. Tried to pull a replacement from a spare block but couldn't get it out. Ended up desoldering the old terminal block and soldering the new one in its place.

Also soldered JST connector on an Eggfinder receiver that the assembler had wired to the 4 x AAA case. Desoldering wick is a marvelous tool.

Went through the recovery of one of my rockets and swapped out a couple of shock cords for longer ones.

Charged batteries and began prep for Saturday launch.

Gee, B. F. Skinner, rocket scientist. Who knew?

Glued up a piece of plywood, dowels, and motor casings to make a RocketGarden™ for most of my low- and mid-power items. A bit crooked here and there because I used the DeWalt drill instead of the drill press.
So, here's an idea. How about a device that grips the front of a drill, with springs and a flat plate similar to a plunge router? For drilling straight holes perpendicular to the surface in the middle of large boards. 1685723366467.png

Gee, B. F. Skinner, rocket scientist. Who knew?

So, here's an idea. How about a device that grips the front of a drill, with springs and a flat plate similar to a plunge router? For drilling straight holes perpendicular to the surface in the middle of large boards. View attachment 584012
Would be a funny nosecone to create... few 3D printed pigeons looking out of plastic windows...

1685733258768.png

Prepped the Estes rockets I'm planning on flying tomorrow at Pittsburgh Space Command, and started on the Citation Patriot..

I have to say, the Balsa on this kit is some of the best I've seen yet.

Attachments

• IMG_20230602_152817888_HDR-01.jpeg
    IMG_20230602_152817888_HDR-01.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
Finally finished the painting of my “Christmas Present” (still needs clear coats)
3” Wildman DarkStar I named “Dracarys” from Game of Thrones…

Attachments

• C8F606AB-A3EB-47FA-B656-1F73ACE71EBC.jpeg
    C8F606AB-A3EB-47FA-B656-1F73ACE71EBC.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 1
  • 645CB5BF-B4B3-4A1F-88ED-518700E55305.jpeg
    645CB5BF-B4B3-4A1F-88ED-518700E55305.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1
  • 3BFC3FB6-53CB-467E-BE03-DE6043CDECCB.jpeg
    3BFC3FB6-53CB-467E-BE03-DE6043CDECCB.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 8EE2450E-88B9-40E8-BE9A-00639DC9A872.jpeg
    8EE2450E-88B9-40E8-BE9A-00639DC9A872.jpeg