What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That may be the most aerodynamic Red Max fin every produced 😃
I made the fin 1/4" thick b/c I know they can be wobbly at 1/8", especially this large. I'm thinking of using an infill between 25 to 50% using 3D Honeycomb. Right now, the test print comes in at 60g with 25% infill vs. 38g for the plywood. It appears that going from 25% to 50% infill will add 10g per fin. Gonna be a thicc girl. It might be ok at 25%. There's no way I'm getting close to Mach with this (👿 :: plot hatches :: ). I'll start a build thread for my new scratch build to hash out the details.

LDRS G80 contest rocket is ready. I am not even going to be close to winning, but this will be an exercise in personal altitude records. Hope to give it a shakedown Monday.

This is a BT60 Goblin, printed nosecone and fin can, which can be found here. 29mm motor mount (friction fit). No problem fitting a 15" nylon chute, JLCR, Eggtimer Apogee and a Marco Polo tracker.

Rosie for scale.

View attachment 582637
Good luck with the G80 contest
Hopefully the boss Rosie approves of this mission

Flew rockets with LUNAR in Hollister today, and helped field test the new multi-bank wireless launch controller some club members have been working on.

IMG_3307.jpeg

Not mine, but I always love a good spitfire:
IMG_3305.jpeg

This cosmic interceptor was purdy:
IMG_3302.jpeg

The flight line. Bigger turn out than I expected:
IMG_3296.jpeg

Some rockets on the pads:
IMG_3291.jpeg

LCO view:
IMG_3286.jpeg

Had a great launch day, low and mid power.

@gltruett brought some beautiful rockets over, and we flew a handful. It was a little windy, we only lost one that didn't deploy and disappeared on the way down. George's keen eye spotted the HiFlier that disappeared on D16-6FJ, a mylar streamer saved that one.

Winds picked up before we got into any high power flights, but that's alright. We had to walk far enough as it was.

This slick Madcow AGM-33 Pike came down in the edge of the pond, only some wet toes required to bring it back.
The photo doesn't do justice to the finish:
View attachment 576724

Arreaux went fast on G138T-12:
View attachment 576726
I just bought this kit (Arreaux) myself! Very excited to build and fly it when it comes in the mail! Yours looks awesome, you should be proud

What 19 months in a tree looks like.

The original Brocket prototype recovered from a tree yesterday. White glue is super strong for LPR builds. Tube fins still attached, body fin still attached, motor mount in one piece - albeit not still inside the BT.

Should buff right out, doncha think?

Brocket recovery 1.jpgIMG_2577.JPGIMG_2578.JPG

So this could be in What I did -Instead- of rocketry - Thread. That is where I have chronicaled my ongoing extremely painful journey.

Day 38 - I guess - According to Google - since I found myself a widower. :(

Today was a good day, and a terrible day. One of the better of the last 38 days (well 51 actually). And one of the worst.

Yesterday I pack the car with my rocketry gear and the rockets I had prepped for a launch called “RocStock” out on Lucerne Dry Lake bed. That would be April 8th. However on April 6th that Jeff G essentially died. Dramatic but true. So none of those rockets flew on the 8th. Nor did they fly on the 29th of April (the next chance). Nor on the next chance. And to be honest, I fully expected to bail on today as well. I did not get to sleep until midnight even though I went to bed at 9:30pm. I woke up like 4 times and looked at the clock thinking “6am I get up and go?” NFW! Not gonna go ‘have fun’ when my love of 27 years was gone. I don’t care what people say about “She’d want you to go.” I was determined to find an excuse.

At about 5:30am I determined I would never get back to sleep. And so, crying, I got up, kissed her as she slept (in my mind), and she woke and said, “Have fun, drive safe, text me when you are there”. Just like she had dozens and dozens of times before.

And so I drove out to Arieal Acres 135 miles away… over and over I was gonna turn around. Honest. I did not want to show up. So you most likely guess “The rest of the story.” I did go. A few rocketeers friends gave me unexpected, but welcome hugs. Several told me to call if I need to talk. Anytime. The weather out near Edwards AFB was perfect. 60’s going to low 80s. No wind, to a bit of a breeze around noon as we called it a day. All normal for the Mojave. I set up my pad and I launched. Seven rockets to be exact. And while a few flights were kind of whacky, most were great. I packed up with my face a bit red from the Sun, and drove home. Here I am.

So that is good right? Launched rockets right? Not quite. See I knew what would come next. I come home and she would ask “How was it?” And I would answer “More fun than a barrel of kitties.” And she would ask, “How many did you launch?” “How many need repairs?” “What do you want to do for dinner. Go shower and take a nap.” Well as you might have guessed I played that conversation out in my head. And you can guess the rest.

I know she is proud that I got out and did what I love. But that means nothing to me right now. I’d trade every second…

One foot in front of the other

Launch report tomorrow.
MDARS-20230527 (2 of 5).jpg

MDARS-20230527 (5 of 5).jpg

Last edited:
So this could be in What I did -Instead- of rocketry - Thread. That is where I have chronicaled my ongoing extremely painful journey.

Day 38 - I guess - According to Google - since I found myself a widower. :(

Today was a good day, and a terrible day. One of the better of the last 38 days (well 51 actually). And one of the worst.

Yesterday I pack the car with my rocketry gear and the rockets I had prepped for a launch called “RocStock” out on Lucerne Dry Lake bed. That would be April 8th. However on April 6th that Jeff G essentially died. Dramatic but true. So none of those rockets flew on the 8th. Nor did they fly on the 29th of April (the next chance). Nor on the next chance. And to be honest, I fully expected to bail on today as well. I did not get to sleep until midnight even though I went to bed at 9:30pm. I woke up like 4 times and looked at the clock thinking “6am I get up and go?” NFW! Not gonna go ‘have fun’ when my love of 27 years was gone. I don’t care what people say about “She’d want you to go.” I was determined to find an excuse.

At about 5:30am I determined I would never get back to sleep. And so, crying, I got up, kissed her as she slept (in my mind), and she woke and said, “Have fun, drive safe, text me when you are there”. Just like she had dozens and dozens of times before.

And so I drove out to Arial Acres 135 miles away… over and over I was gonna turn around. Honest. I did not want to show up. So you most likely guess “The rest of the story.” I did go. A few rocketeers friends gave me unexpected, but welcome hugs. Several told me to call if I need to talk. Anytime. The weather out near Edwards AFB was perfect. 60’s going to low 80s. No wind, to a bit of a breeze around noon as we called it a day. All normal for the Mojave. I set up my pad and I launched. Seven rockets to be exact. And while a few flights were kind of whacky, most were great. I packed up with my face a bit red from the Sun, and drove home. Here I am.

So that is good right? Launched rockets right? Not quite. See I knew what would come next. I come home and she would ask “How was it?” And I would answer “More fun the barrel of kitties.” And she would ask, “How many did you launch?” “However many need repairs?” “What do you want to do for dinner.” Well as you might have guessed I played that conversation out in my head. And you can guess the rest.

I know she is proud that I got out and did what I love. But that means nothing to me right now. I’d trade every second…

One foot in front of the other

Launch report tomorrow.
View attachment 582806

View attachment 582807
ALL RIGHT Jeff, thanks for the pictures.

I just bought this kit (Arreaux) myself! Very excited to build and fly it when it comes in the mail! Yours looks awesome, you should be proud

Thanks! It’s been a favorite of mine for years, you’re gonna love it! I hope you have a good place to fly, it's great fun on a fast F. Even better on a G!

This one was built straight by the instructions, but has been retrofit for an Eggfinder Mini in the nose, and a new coupler is now being prepped for dual deployment with an Eggtimer Quark.

What colors are you gonna do yours in? Send us some pics!

Painted the nosecone of Der FiberMax and primed my plywood upgraded Der Big Red Max and my LOC Nuke Pro Maxx.
20230527_220355.jpg

20230527_221144.jpg
I ran out of the Duplicolor grey primer after priming the Nuke Pro Maxx and halfway through the application to the DBRM. Switched to Rustoleum Flat White Primer. Disappointed in the results. I will probably have to let it dry over 24 hours and sand the heck out of it.

20230527_220415.jpg

Good day in Seymour that looked like it would a bad day on paper. First few hours were a mud skating rink, and it was a few hours before anyone got in the air. Flight rate in the afternoon was slow but fairly steady aside from the occasional wind or rain break. Only flew once but helped with a few other flights. Weather may be worse tomorrow or may be better; forecasts in Baylor County, Texas aren't worth a lot. We'll fly if we can. If we can't, we'll at least it's been a great social occasion.

Switched to Rustoleum Flat White Primer. Disappointed in the results. I will probably have to let it dry over 24 hours and sand the heck out of it.

Perfect day for painting here, and ended up about the same.

Of course, nothing much was ready for paint. The EZI payload bay was sanded and ready for another coat, and I'm ready to cut some decals and/or stencils for it. So I took it out and put on a light coat of Rustoleum gloss white. Looking perfectly nice as it went along, then *splat*. Ugh, now that I think about it, the same thing happened before. That's why it was sanded and ready for another coat. It dried quickly enough, I just finished sanding it again.

Not sure if I'm going to try that can again...

Your Max's are coming along well, Goblin done?

First I sanded the fins for the space plane. I had filled the grain yesterday. Shaped and sanded the balsa canopy. Attached all the fins and wings. I used JB Kwik Weld 5 minute epoxy to attach all the fins and wings. 20230527_224931[2490].jpg20230527_224949[2488].jpgIt's all masked and ready for fillets. The fins and wings are 1/4" plywood. The dorsal fin is hard balsa that I got from BMS. I really like this balsa. It's very strong but still light. Nice straight sheets and tight grain. It's 1/4" too. 3" LOC tube. The back part is 34" long. I don't normally show works in progress, but there was a lot of masking. Thought I would share a couple of pictures with you.

Back