What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today I cleaned up the edges of the 1.9", 50mm, and 3" rings and epoxied them into their respective nose cones. With some fiberglass of course, since I seem to be constitutionally incapable of doing anything without fiberglass lately.
Fiberglassed the inside of the shoulder of the 3" plastic cone (from an Estes Big Daddy ). When the glass is set, I'll grind plastic outside of the shoulder to take a couple of shear plates, which I'll glass in place. Glass on the inside helps keep me from accidentally grinding all the way through the shoulder, and also keeps the shoulder nice and round for consistent engagement of the shear pins.

I was talking about the booster for the Majestic. Sorry, in going back and reading my original post it wasn't clear. Here is what I'm talking about:
View attachment 581980

I would just trim the front of the stage cone to allow the booster to slide up to butt the body tubes. On the Booster-60 and Booster-55s that I've built into rockets, I just hog the stage cone out with a big HF knockoff of a Unibit. Should be easy to be a little more surgical about it and just take off what you need off.

I would just trim the front of the stage cone to allow the booster to slide up to butt the body tubes. On the Booster-60 and Booster-55s that I've built into rockets, I just hog the stage cone out with a big HF knockoff of a Unibit. Should be easy to be a little more surgical about it and just take off what you need off.
Yeah, I already tried that and cut about half an inch off of the coupler on the booster. Problem is the "nozzle" on the forward end of the booster engine mount is butting up against the back of the main engine. I assume that "nozzle" is on there to assist in igniting the main engine?

1684794078247.jpeg

Yeah, I already tried that and cut about half an inch off of the coupler on the booster. Problem is the "nozzle" on the forward end of the booster engine mount is butting up against the back of the main engine. I assume that "nozzle" is on there to assist in igniting the main engine?

I correctly understood the situation from your earlier post. I'm saying shorten the nozzle. As long as it's directing the fire toward the throat of the sustainer motor, it should work just fine.

Last edited:
no pictures needed this time:eek:
Yeah, it's not pleasant.

Today: Avbay/ejection harness anchor brainstorming with @AeroAggie, followed by load testing. Laid 34 fillets, 2 at a time (seriously happy to be done with those!). Sanded, primed & painted some things. Designed & 3d printed some more parts.

IMG_6412.jpg

Yeah, it's not pleasant.

Today: Avbay/ejection harness anchor brainstorming with @AeroAggie, followed by load testing. Laid 34 fillets, 2 at a time (seriously happy to be done with those!). Sanded, primed & painted some things. Designed & 3d printed some more parts.

View attachment 582086
I'll give those a 9.85 rating :bravo: :goodjob: simply beautiful.

Sim work in OR:

Reviewed my plans for L1 build and played with motor selection, including incremental steps from first flight shakedown, working up toward the "big" H.
F39
G53
G76
H-whatever the motor vendor still has available that fits my case when I get there

Interesting thing was where the G53 slots into the plan. I'd previously ignored it as being weak sauce compared to the G64 and G76, but it actually has a role in getting a heavy-ish rocket off the rod quickly but not sending it quite as high as the others and having a lower price tag than similar single-use motors. And being a two-grain reload, it avoids HAZ. I'll probably use a few of these here and there.

Played with an MD 18mm design and exported the sim data to CSV to look in detail and be sure I like the velocity and stability margin even with an A8-5 when it clears my new concept for a 30-in "travel tower" that will fit in my luggage.

I just like rockets, apparently.

Sim work in OR:

Reviewed my plans for L1 build and played with motor selection, including incremental steps from first flight shakedown, working up toward the "big" H.
F39
G53
G76
H-whatever the motor vendor still has available that fits my case when I get there

Interesting thing was where the G53 slots into the plan. I'd previously ignored it as being weak sauce compared to the G64 and G76, but it actually has a role in getting a heavy-ish rocket off the rod quickly but not sending it quite as high as the others and having a lower price tag than similar single-use motors. And being a two-grain reload, it avoids HAZ. I'll probably use a few of these here and there.

Played with an MD 18mm design and exported the sim data to CSV to look in detail and be sure I like the velocity and stability margin even with an A8-5 when it clears my new concept for a 30-in "travel tower" that will fit in my luggage.

I just like rockets, apparently.

I enjoy the G53 a lot. Good noise too. You'll like it.

Yeah, it's not pleasant.

View attachment 582086
I forgot to ask what epoxy you used? obviously self-leveling

Started, and nearly finished, construction of an Estes Cherokee-E. Instead of using the short tube as the aft end of the airframe I built a bulkhead for the coupler and turned it into a payload section. Also swapped the elastic shock cord for a Kevlar cord anchored to the motor tube/mount.

Fun and easy kit. I thought they were no-longer available but I found them on the Hobby Lobby site 2 weeks ago for $14 and change.

20230523_201452.jpg

Last edited:
Back