What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just got in a cool item yesterday, a vintage Estes "Model Rocketry Range Operations Box" containing quite a few items including an older style black launch tripod pad, a couple of engines, some really glossy wood fins, and one of those great gray-colored "Solar Launch Controller" that I'd been wishing for. The box is kind of a neat touch; I'll have to transfer my plastic 'shoe box' of parts into it. And now I get to sell off that pile of still-in-plastic Electron Beam black launch controllers that I've accumulated. ha

Attachments

• Launch Box1.png
    Launch Box1.png
    154.7 KB · Views: 0
  • LaunchBpx2.png
    LaunchBpx2.png
    122.6 KB · Views: 0
Finally got some bug attractant ( a.k.a. PAINT ) on some of the winter builds. Maxi Streak, Nike Goon, 3" School Rocket w/ ply up-grade, 3" scratch Goblin, up-graded 29mm FatBoy, and a repaint of my Super Alpha paint fail , which Failed AGAIN ! Oh,and a scratch Missile Toe Goony. :)
I think it is the propellant in most spray paints. I got tons of no-see-ums buzzing around as soon as I started spraying. Unfortunately, a few land on the paint and quickly get embedded.

I think it is the propellant in most spray paints. I got tons of no-see-ums buzzing around as soon as I started spraying. Unfortunately, a few land on the paint and quickly get embedded.
The blood and guts help lubricate the wet sanding. 😂

Went to the hobby store, bought a couple of Estes kits, some C and F motors, and found a whole rack of Estes parts (tubes, nosecones, etc) that I had somehow missed before.

Took my ideas and planted them in OpenRocket. One is ready to go so I ordered up a round of parts from BMS. The second one still needs some tweaking. Did a quick test of the alcohol inks that arrived today. Definitely will be using them on a future build. Still waiting on the King Kraken :dontknow:

I'm currently working on an Estes Hornet. This thing has 10 - count 'em 10 - fins. So naturally, I want to make sure that they all line up. With a paper wrap around marking guide, I'm never certain that I've taped it tight, and that the lines are going to be where they should. So I measured the distance between each line and used a flexible plastic ruler to mark the body tube, one line at a time. I still held my breath, but it seemed to come out OK. Next, I'll seal and sand

Attachments

• 20230516_233659.jpg
    20230516_233659.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230516_233821.jpg
    20230516_233821.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Finished the Der Red Max. Big Red Max enjoys the company.

IMG-6504-2.jpg

IMG-6511-2.jpg

IMG-6521-2.jpg

Today I put the second color on the big wing rocket. Left it sit outside all day in the 90 degree plus temperature. Baked the paint on. I shaped the fins I cut out yesterday. Used a belt sander to get the fins close to uniform. Then filled the grain with GoodFila filler. Sanded that when it was dry a couple of hours later and cleaned up the edges with a random orbit sander. Cut slots in a 4" LOC tube with a Dremel and a cut off wheel. About a minute to do the four slots. I'll probably put the fins on tomorrow unless I get a second wind tonight. Glued some pieces of the blue foam board together. Going to make a second attempt at a nose cone. have to do it early in the morning. Gets hot fast here this time of year. It's 11:30pm and still 77 degrees.

Test fit Coyote today to my Fliskit’s Acme Spitfire!!🚀🚀🚀
I have two ACME rockets. Was looking for Wil E Coyote to ride one. On the ground anyway. I found a plush one, but it's $42. Hadn't planned on flying the rocket with him on it. Curious how it works for you. Here are my two. One is a 4" and the other is a 3". Used a paper 20230517_233100[2461].jpg cone for the nose cones.

Worked on the fins for an Estes Proton Probe. Sat and looked at my Orion trying to decide if I want to repair it-AGAIN. First launch the shockcord tore through the baffle disk anchor and lawn darted. Repaired the damaged tube and relaunched--the rocket went unstable right off the rod but suffered only very minor damage. On this third try (on a D20-4), it didn't sound right as soon as it ignited and arched over and lawn darted again. The only good thing was while it was sticking out of the ground, the tracking smoke made locating it easy. And yes, I did verify the stability before launching.

Orion.jpg

This rocket is starting to make me feel like this--

Khan.jpg

My Fat Boy XL got another coat of Rusto recently to try to salvage the horrible gloss black paint results last time, but this time I used semi-gloss black, which was much better.

I then placed it into my temporary "paint oven" to bake for a day or two since the last paint was still sticky after 5 days!

View attachment 579866
Promising results so far!
You left the roof up, yeah?

Mx5 Mazdaspeed?

I have two ACME rockets. Was looking for Wil E Coyote to ride one. On the ground anyway. I found a plush one, but it's $42. Hadn't planned on flying the rocket with him on it. Curious how it works for you. Here are my two. One is a 4" and the other is a 3". Used a paper View attachment 581258 cone for the nose cones.
I never tire of looking at your rockets hanging in your garage

You left the roof up, yeah?

Mx5 Mazdaspeed?
Yup! Otherwise pollen, bird luggage and maple seeds would be entering to make a Jackson Pollock of the rocket and car interior. 😉
IMG_20210626_075253899_HDR.jpg
However, when driving, the top goes down whenever possible. :cool:

Edit Add: I live on a lake and there are a lot of birds including large ones like herons, eagles, and vultures. This was the work of one bird.

Last edited:
Stop giving me ideas...
I'm hurt. You want me to stop doing the one thing that gives my life meaning?
On this third try (on a D20-4), it didn't sound right as soon as it ignited and arched over and lawn darted again. The only good thing was while it was sticking out of the ground, the tracking smoke made locating it easy. And yes, I did verify the stability before launching.

View attachment 581259
Oh, dear. That's the second picture perfect lawn dart posted here in a week or so. It really is a beaut, but sad all the same.

Back