What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Launched nine rockets today in near perfect conditions at the park with my buds.

Mars Leaper, A3-2T
0327230806[1].jpg

Hi-Flyer, A8-3
0327230817[1].jpg

Emma's Dilemma, B6-4 Quest C6-0
0327230824[1].jpg

Xtreme, A8-3
0327230827[1].jpg

Blue Chiller, B4-2
0327230844[1].jpg

Firehawk, A3-2T
0327230910[1].jpg

Vortico, Quest C6-0 Estes B6-4
0327230930[1].jpg

PemTech Screamin' Green Meanie, D12-3
0327230951[1].jpg

Quest Li'l Grunt, D12-3
0327231006[1].jpg
All rockets recovered.
Life is good.
:D

Last edited:
I went from papering fins, to unwarping fins. To adding wood filler to fins, and then unwarping again ! Next was sanding an putting back under the press for the night again for good measure. Today i got them glued on an added fillet"s. Tomorrow i will add another set of fillet"s, unless i stay up most of the night. Then i will be doing primer in the morning !

Attachments

• IMG_4339.JPEG
    IMG_4339.JPEG
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
Launched nine rockets today in near perfect conditions at the park with my buds.

Mars Leaper, A3-2T
View attachment 571268

Hi-Flyer, A8-3
View attachment 571269

Emma's Dilemma, B6-4
View attachment 571270

Xtreme, A8-3
View attachment 571271

Blue Chiller, B4-2
View attachment 571272

Firehawk, A3-2T
View attachment 571274

Vortico, Quest C6-0
View attachment 571275

View attachment 571278

Quest Li'l Grunt, D12-3
View attachment 571279
All rockets recovered.
Life is good.
:D

That's a bitchin' paint job! tip of the hat!

I finished painting my Estes MX Missle. This doesn't seem like such a big deal, but I started the rocket the FIRST time I became a BAR. I chose this kit because I thought this would be a fast build, since there's no balsa to fill or glue, just plastic fins. Well, you know what they say: if you want God to laugh, tell Him your plans. Near as I can figure, that was was in 1993, 30 years ago. So between raising four kids, and moving four times, plus, you know, LIFE, I'm finally finishing it up. By now, my kids have given me grandkids that are the same age they were when I began this build.
The paint came out pretty good. I was proud of myself that, at the time, I thought of filling the spirals on my own - I was still figuring out the internet, and wasn't in touch with any other people involved with rockets. Now I just have the decals to go. Although I also notice the plastic fins have yellowed a bit. If anyone knows how to restore them to being clear I'd be much obliged.

Attachments

• 20220823_192232.jpg
    20220823_192232.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220823_192318.jpg
    20220823_192318.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
This is from a few days ago, but I managed to get a flight on my Broken Arrow at Seymour with TNT. It was too windy to fly my new MD rocket, but it was still an awesome weekend. Great people & great fun out there in Texas!

IMG_5865_2.jpg

I have the same spool. Even a 2 stage spool. Today I decided to shelve the Flash Gordonesque rocket. I tried to make a nose cone out of a 4x4. It would have been a 3" instead of a 4" I need. I might try a foam or styrafoam nose cone. When I was looking at my styrafoam balls I had an idea. Take a ball hollow it out to take a 29mm mmt. Add some dowels with smaller balls on the ends and see if it will fly. I'm going to take my orbital sander to the trashed 4" BT and see if I can smooth out the gouges. Either way it is going to get a camo paint scheme. Wandered around the garage looking at my rockets for inspiration. I also fixed my UFO rocket. The pack rat that was in my garage pulled it down from the ceiling and stole the mirrored ball that was the nose cone. I had some extra mirrored balls so it was an easy fix. And stop giggling about my balls you guys.

Lets see

• Cleaning up/Repairing after the launch last weekend
    • Repairing a fiberglass fin on a Rocketry Warehouse Sublime that broke clean at the MMT epoxy joint. Fortunate, as that fin is intact! Drilled two holes in the aft CR to see what I was dealing with. Fin is out. Old epoxy sanded away... now to figure out how to get it back in solid.
    • Reinstalling a motor mount on a LPR design that ejected the mount instead of the chute!
  • Painting an Apogee Quickdraw
  • Ongoing: Painting a Flis Deuces 29
  • Ongoing: Adding cut vinyl to an Estes 29mm Panavia clone
  • Ongoing: Finish painting a Cape Byron Rocketry Yalga
  • Ongoing: Sanding the paint off a LOC Bruiser I was given (or bought, I fergit which) years ago

Guess that'll do it.

I finished painting my Estes MX Missle. This doesn't seem like such a big deal, but I started the rocket the FIRST time I became a BAR. I chose this kit because I thought this would be a fast build, since there's no balsa to fill or glue, just plastic fins. Well, you know what they say: if you want God to laugh, tell Him your plans. Near as I can figure, that was was in 1993, 30 years ago. So between raising four kids, and moving four times, plus, you know, LIFE, I'm finally finishing it up. By now, my kids have given me grandkids that are the same age they were when I began this build.
The paint came out pretty good. I was proud of myself that, at the time, I thought of filling the spirals on my own - I was still figuring out the internet, and wasn't in touch with any other people involved with rockets. Now I just have the decals to go. Although I also notice the plastic fins have yellowed a bit. If anyone knows how to restore them to being clear I'd be much obliged.
Unless someone else chimes in, I think your choices are A) get or make new ones, or 2) live with it. Keep the new ones out of sunlight and other UV sources as much as you can.

• Painting an Apogee Quickdraw
What do you think of that exchangeable motor mount system? And do you have experience with any others to compare it too?

(last night) I did my first round of ground tests for my L1/2 rocket, and it was my first time ever doing a dual-deployment test, and even though it didn't go smoothly, I still learned a lot! And that's what counts, right? And I guess my MAWD alt. works, to thank you @MProcket !
563F9D58-A02F-459F-971F-B277BD1042F7.jpegAnd I think I scared the neighbors… or at least had them concerned…

Attachments

• 27264F41-5B62-4892-BE32-03397AA47960.jpeg
    27264F41-5B62-4892-BE32-03397AA47960.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 1
Primed a piece of BT50 yesterday to replace the payload section on the vintage Astron Cobra that I damaged. Today I gave it a coat of aluminum paint that now looks like ocean waves. It's all good, though, I kinda like the look. Will glue it on tomorrow. Cobra already had three C6-5s loaded for the (cancelled :() MCMC launch last Saturday. Might go down to HARA next weekend to fly a few items.

Back