What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sanded on two more of the Rockets I put primer on yesterday it's going to be 66°. so I will probably spray the last of the primer on.

Eazy Peazy Joe. Just move the ellipse back until the conical portion meets the tangent of the ellipse.

View attachment 562129
That makes sense. I'd be concerned that, if the two nose cones overlap, OR will be counting the two masses in full and, more importantly, both pieces' effects on the CP. The mass is less important because there's an override for it.

Anyway, to each his own. I'll keep using the parabolic method.

Only one nose with one transition. Seems to work fine. HoJo & Nike Smoke are Abit a challenge though.

Started my LOC Nano Mag last night. Today, all three fins will be epoxied in and hopefully start the fillets. This build is being done with 5 minute epoxy. I still have to drill a pressure hole in the Bullet Bobby XXL.

Only one nose with one transition. Seems to work fine. HoJo & Nike Smoke are Abit a challenge though.
Yes, I misstated. There's overlap of the transition and the nose cone, not two nose cones, but the double booking concern is the same.

Figured out one way to make a conical nose with a rounded tip---like the Titan ICBM or the Shuttle SRBs---in OpenRocket. Make a solid conical transition, say 1/2" to 2". Forward end has no shoulder. Add a solid elliptical nose cone, 1/2" diameter and 1/4" long (or shorter as desired), no shoulder, to the 1/2" end.
So we know Terry is not doing it by overlapping the parts.
Just adjust the length of the elliptical nose until the corner is gone.
The overlapping parts method does not involve adjusting the length of the ellipse to eliminate a corner, but rather adjusting the vertical position. So we know, again, that that's not what he's doing.

No doubt there's another way. Need someone with more working brain cells than me, to figure it out.
Just trying to help.

Started laying fillets on the reinstalled fins for Fat Daddy. Since they are Titebond and a little thick, they may not be fully dry by Saturday, but I think it will be all right. I'll worry about fixing the paint when it is time to fly for L2. Will probably wreck it a time or 2 more before then.

I sprayed primer on the 1980 Maxi Alpha rocket and the Harpoon by Quest. then I sprayed the white semi-loss Rustoleum 2X paint on the white portion of the Crossfire and the solar Explorer.
I know Estes is loved by most people but it is the epitome of being able to put together the world's cheapest, flimsiest products into a bag and have people get so much enjoyment out of it, but you just about crush the tube just by grabbing a hold of it. it's pathetic how thin these things are.

Bored while working an eight or ten hour overnight shift monitoring vendor maintenance, I found the new TRA L2 practice exam relatively easy to machine parse, so I wrote a shell script to serve up the questions flashcard-style in a Linux shell. I need to see if I can find a HAM technician practice exam to chop up and digest in the same way.

Installed the new OR release and then OCD'ed on a sims of a few LOC kits. Also installed Fusion 360 free version.

In real life, I figured out the shock cord mounting for my current build, installed it in the BT and got color on the fins. Printed out some custom marking guides after I was unable to successfully manually modify the ones that OR printed.

Bored while working an eight or ten hour overnight shift monitoring vendor maintenance, I found the new TRA L2 practice exam relatively easy to machine parse, so I wrote a shell script to serve up the questions flashcard-style in a Linux shell. I need to see if I can find a HAM technician practice exam to chop up and digest in the sa
eham.net has the practice tests, I used all 3 to study for the tests. something like 128 times for the Extra class one, but I aced it. So ridiculous to have 711 questions in thew pool.

Starting attaching the fins on the Laser-X. Played around with Inkscape and printing decals. Placed an order with eRockets for a Rockrtarium MIM-23 Hawk kit and some micro clips to build a harness for cluster launches.

I updated my 38mm launch tower on Thingiverse to include 2 new versions. Both are complete redesigns of my original. They fit on a smaller 3d printer bed and ride closer to the 1010 rail they mount on - which should make them even stronger. I've flown a J1026 off the 3 fin version of the original and set 2 records with I216s off the newer "v2b" version.
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3047161

Bored while working an eight or ten hour overnight shift monitoring vendor maintenance, I found the new TRA L2 practice exam relatively easy to machine parse, so I wrote a shell script to serve up the questions flashcard-style in a Linux shell. I need to see if I can find a HAM technician practice exam to chop up and digest in the same way.
If that prints the questions to standard out and and takes the answers from standard in, then porting it to a Windows command shell window should be the nearest thing to trivial. You could post that code and there are undoubtedly a lot of both Linux and Windows users who'd be very grateful. MacOS also, I should think, but I don't know.

If that prints the questions to standard out and and takes the answers from standard in, then porting it to a Windows command shell window should be the nearest thing to trivial. You could post that code and there are undoubtedly a lot of both Linux and Windows users who'd be very grateful. MacOS also, I should think, but I don't know.
The Q & A script is trivial as you note. Also the script was hacked together to the point that it just barely worked by a guy running on practically no sleep this week. So ultimately the only real meat worth sharing is the broken-out question set.

Unfortunately, the TRA study guide is chock full of copyright notices, so I can't post those without spending more time seeking IP permissions than I feel like or have time for. Even that part isn't hard to recreate though, just a little tedious.

As usual when I try to reap organized text from any pdf not deliberately created to be easy to parse, none of the pdf or postscript parsers I tried could handle it, so I cut and pasted it all into four text files (tech Qs, tech As, safety Qs, and safety As) and cleaned them up. After that I was easily able to grep on patterns in the question and answer formats to break them out individually.

Finished painting my scratch built rear ejection rocket---hope to fly it Saturday at our monthly launch along with three other new builds.

I sanded some on the Maxi Alpha primer that I put on a couple of days ago. hopefully tomorrow I will make it to Ace Hardware to buy a couple of rattle cans that I'm not a fan of, but are convenient.

The weather was good today. I was able to put primmer on a rocket. Tuesday I also got to do primmer on another. I'm making a dent in the back log. The rocket in the build pros process will get fillets a little later tonight.

Back