What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Continued the CAD work on my nose cone sled. Have the rings to fit 1.9", Quest 50mm, BT-70, BT-80, and Estes 3" cones done. Sled bulkhead that will fit the first three cones done. Adapter bulkheads for BT-80 and 3" cones done. End caps for an add-on ballast capsule done. Now I just need to design the sled itself.
Finished up design of the nose cone portable Eggfinder sled. Will sit on the design for a day or two to see if I have any last second second thoughts about any part of the system, then will send it to a friend to print, since I still don't have a 3D printer.

Chose motors for a couple of upcoming milestone flights.

Started revisiting a rocket design I shelved a few months ago.

Put the first thin white coat of paint on my Radical Rocketry BOMARC. This follows about 2 weeks of off and on filling, sanding, priming, and sanding again.
Lots of boogers to fill and sand before the second thin coat...

Masked and primed the spirals on the tube for my Estes Interceptor.

Got some paint on the AGM-1313 Lucky Striker (29mm MMT). Need to wet sand and shoot some more satin. Plus tons of black vinyl and decals of some sort.

AGM-1313-Lucky-Striker-00007.JPG

Got some paint on the Elliptical Anger Management. Need to figure out what I will do the the center section. 3x18 MMT. And vinyl no the fins and deals elsewhere.

Elliptical-Anger-0001.JPG

I believe one of my launch reports mentioned planting the Extreme 12. Built a new sustainer, painted, and today cut and applied new vinyl. Decals pending...

Extreme-12-Rebuild-00001.JPG

Extreme-12-Rebuild-00002.JPG
Finally, add connectors on the payload of the 24mm Madness on the payload bay (rocket on the right) to use an Eggtimer Apogee.

I sanded the primmer on two of the rockets that have made it that far. Made templates for fins for a new build. Cut them out and rough shaped them on a belt sander. It was too windy to paint and will be too windy tomorrow. The rest of the week is looking good. I might make a dent in the backlog of rockets waiting for paint.

Doing some machining. Needs to be more accurate than my normal rocketry work. Took me about four hours to get my milling vise squared up and leveled sufficiently good enough. Just drilled hole #1 and about to follow it in with the boring head...

Then need jig up to rinse and repeat x 8.

Note to self: need serious vise for milling machine.

JB Weld fillets were done in the Bullet Bobby XXL. Now to just do the rest of the recovery system and it's ready for paint when it gets warmer. Next up is the LOC Nano Mag. Only mid I'm doing to that is deleting the nosecone bulkplate. Going to go with a LOC style shockcord mount inside the nosecone. I hope it don't throw off the CG. Plus I think I'm going to slit the fin slots.

Did some father son time.
Prepped my sons Wildman Jart and my Punisher sport. Glued in 1st centering ring with small shock cord on both rockets.
He sanded all that needed to be sanded on his. He had a bit of a time with fin edges to round them off and was getting upset over how much he had to do....lol...wait until fillet kiddo.

Attachments

• 20230205_162622.jpg
    20230205_162622.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Played with Open Rocket. Lots more to do, but it's a start.

View attachment 561682

That's one thing about Photo Studio that's tricky IMO. As you rotate the rocket it is shown in perspective view, not orthographic. Sometimes that can be visually misleading.

Good ole Top, Side and Back Views to the rescue.

Sunday launch. Decent weather, blue sky. First flight for Aerotech Gforce, Scratch V2 and Norad BT-60. The Nano-magg corkscrewed with a B6 and may need more nose weight. All other flights were perfect.

0D93CB3B-777E-49DE-9B13-EF37911E3E02.jpeg

Nano Magg - B6-4 - 830ā€™

343C1565-93DC-4886-9D16-560A25B2919D.jpeg

Norad 60 - C6-3 - 600ā€™

13FA42CB-4E10-4D0C-98C3-A159F74E8E65.jpeg

Majestic - F15-6 - 1470ā€™

A6891F50-9D0D-479B-A524-A1D1BC119207.jpeg

MR1 - F24-7 - 1525ā€™
Accessories - USB Camera

2ACFE65C-290F-43B5-880D-84E8B405DA9D.jpeg

V2 - G74-9 - 1480ā€™

51DBB43D-3964-4742-BFA0-AB1A2333E91D.jpeg

GForce - G125-7 - 1080ā€™
Accessories - RunCam2

FDEAEC30-53B6-4247-B61F-F0B8EB03FA4B.jpeg

View attachment trim.74529AA4-39F3-4C3A-8CB1-B0748D6844B8.MOV

View attachment trim.5373825C-6F58-4EF5-8C39-7A5A7D43595C.MOV

Last edited:
MR1 - F24-7 - 1525ā€™
Accessories - USB Camera

View attachment 561734
I didn't know you had an MR-1 rocket, I lost mine last summer, and PML has no more parts so I'm going to have to scratch build one. can you explain why you have a shorter than normal nose cone and a long piece of 3-in tubing going from the transition to the nose cone that's the first one I've seen like that

I didn't know you had an MR-1 rocket, I lost mine last summer, and PML has no more parts so I'm going to have to scratch build one.

This one is scratch built with BT-80/60 Rocketarium parts and 24mm. Its not to scale, but still one of my favorite fliers. Next time I'll build it with 2.6" & 38mm heavy wall tubing/ 13" NC and 29mm motor mount.. I believe the original MR-1 is 3 inch diameter, and it looks like you can still get the nose cone and urethane transition (in Canada).

Sorry to hear about losing your rocket. Which motor did you use on that flight?

This one is scratch built with BT-80/60 Rocketarium parts and 24mm. Its not to scale, but still one of my favorite fliers. Next time I'll build it with 2.6" & 38mm heavy wall tubing/ 13" NC and 29mm motor mount.. I believe the original MR-1 is 3 inch diameter, and it looks like you can still get the nose cone and urethane transition (in Canada).

Sorry to hear about losing your rocket. Which motor did you use on that flight?
the first time I got my L1 was with the H87 CTI motor and the second time was with a H135 CTI motor, 29 mm both of them. I contacted LOC, who bought out PML, and asked them if they had the nose cone or the transition, and they said they had no parts left. I have a friend who does lots of 3D printing and he can print out the transition but I have not yet gotten him all the dimensions he needs.

Sunday launch. Decent weather, blue sky. First flight for Aerotech Gforce, Scratch V2 and Norad BT-60. The Nano-magg corkscrewed with a B6 and may need more nose weight. All other flights were perfect.
Great report and images... Where is the vast snowy tundra! LOL. Canada I see...
Did you paint the G-Force? Or is that vinyl? Or? Nice job!

Finished up the motor mount assembly on my Fliskits Deuces Wild Upscale. Also, did the body tube cuts. The motor mount tube fit to the air frame is going to require more epoxy fill than I would like (even though I followed the template). Next time I will know betterā€¦..

Attachments

• Duece 29 pic 3.jpg
    Duece 29 pic 3.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Duece 29 pic 4.jpg
    Duece 29 pic 4.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 0
Back