What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
*yesterday* Flew a scratch 5.5 Goblin (LOC Tubes) on a J1299. Also sent a Mach1 Alien Interceptor on an I-200, A Big bertha on a D2, and a Mach1 NikeVII on an F67. (Crashed an Aerotech Aerobee with a G138, but we will skip that one). I may have a Goblin video, but it will be short.

It was a good weekend.

Video added. Realize this rocket is about 13lbs. It leaves like an Estes on a D20.
View attachment IMG_2945.MOV

Last edited:
I watched another open Rocket tutorial video but I need to watch it two more times. they go so fast clicking on things that I just can't keep up.

I remember taking GIS training with a fellow employee 25 years my junior. I thought just for laughs I would try to keep up with this lad. No way. He smoked me. Same goes with beer drinking. Just keep playing it over until you get it.

Still plugging away at the RR F-104... trying to decide on *the canopy* color... any opinions? (Rest of the rocket will be yellow with black.)

View attachment 561403
View attachment 561404
View attachment 561406
Maybe add gray to that list...
My suggestion is to blend grey with a touch of the metallic blue. Or grey, a little chrome and a touch of blue. Either buy those little Testers bottles to mix and thin if necessary, or spray rattle cans into a cup then mix, and apply with a brush. Or, if you're an airbrush guy (I don't remember who here is) then apply the mixed color with that, obviously.

My suggestion is to blend grey with a touch of the metallic blue. Or grey, a little chrome and a touch of blue. Either buy those little Testers bottles to mix and thin if necessary, or spray rattle cans into a cup then mix, and apply with a brush. Or, if you're an airbrush guy (I don't remember who here is) then apply the mixed color with that, obviously.
I was thinking along those lines, but weather was so nice that I gave it a shot of gloss gray (I work full time during the week, so while I take breaks working from home to paint, it is tricky lol).

20230205_142810.jpg
I really like how it looks!

I chose the gray because this photo makes it look almost gray.
Screenshot_20230131_171501_Chrome.jpg

However, along the lines of what you were saying, I actually already also sprayed the same gray paint on a spare spray paint can lid and will test out that Valspar blue stained glass spray as a tint to see how it looks.

Gotta head out for some chores soon, but wish I could do more painting today. :p

Yesterday, I posted up on another tread about "Evercoat glazing putty":
https://www.rocketryforum.com/threa...10-thickened-epoxy.177025/page-2#post-2386278
I finished up applying this great new product this morning and sanded it off in about 20 minutes. Just finished adding a coat of filler primer:

filler primer.jpg

These fins were pretty rough, but the Evercoat filled them in nicely. I will have to touch up the beveled edges a bit, maybe a coat of sandable primer, otherwise it's really close to a color coat.

Put the JB Weld fillets on the Bullet Bobby XXL. Building is done. All that needs to be done is the recovery system and paint when the temperature warms up more.

While waiting for my Goblin to arrive I'm doing a little maintenance.....checking shock cords, applying heat shrink to cords at the edge of the body tube to prevent zippering, cleaning up old Open Rocket files, and starting design work on upsizing a Solar Grapple from 24mm motor to either 29mm or 38mm.

Finally made a protective pouch for my FS Mini to quickly move it from rocket to rocket, putting it in sport models that are built according to the instructions with no special provisions for carrying an altimeter. It took a surprising number of do-overs to come up with a procedure that actually worked for something so gosh-darn simple, so I figured it was worth posting a how-to. (Linked in the text above.)

While I was doing that, I also worked out a more intuitive and practical method of tying the Perfection loop knot.

Not a big rocket day, but long needed, and will pave the way for much good future rocketing.

I finished assembly on my Estes Scorpius. (Oh wait, forgot launch lugs!)

Now comes the long wait for nice weather, so I can shoot some paint. If we get a day that is sunny and no wind, I’ll do the dash outside and back in, to do a quick primer coat.

View attachment 560710
I had one of these when I was a kid, it went where the rocket Gods put awesome rockets.

Back