What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kidding aside, I thought your idea of puncturing the bottom was very clever!

However, I think I've read in the past that one way to salvage the paint is to let it rest and then puncture the top to vent out the propellant alone. Dremel? :p

Look, guys, comon now, the only REAL cure for a clogged rattle can?

Is in the fire barrel, after everyone at the cookout has had 9 Coronas....then deny everything.

And then?

Run away, run away some more!

Finally remembered to go out to the garage to grab a couple pieces of scrap ply. Glued them onto either side of the forward centering ring for the 3" Citation Patriot. (Gives me a bigger target when I run the rail button screw in.) Will sand them to match the ring in a couple days after the glue has completely dried.

Actually the FedEx guy stopped in the street outside my house tonight and I thought, hey maybe its my WM order and my shipping notification went to my spam....

He went to the house across the street.

CAD work on a new Eggfinder sled after my last version turned out to require infeasibly compact wiring, a flaw which I didn't catch until parts had been cut. What's that saying, measure once, cut twice?

• Took the 25 or so bad ten year old commercial starters and cut the heads off. Stripped them, wound them with nichrome wire and ohmed them out. I am doing ok as most are from 3.8 to 4 ohms. Perfect for 12v high amp clusters (say three normal HPR starters). So I took them all to the dippin' station and dipped them all in Magnalite dip. They are drying.
  • Create some ORK files of upscaled The Launch Pad Osirus. One of my FAVORITE rockets. I have the original now going on 12 years or so. I had an upscale using LOC 3.9 inch, but it is gone. It used a single 38mm MMT. There are many images of it on my Flickr channel. Or even my launch reports here on TRF. All the designs use 3.9 inch LOC tubing. All are clusters. 3x29 triangle, 3x29 straight, 7x29, and 2x38mm. Now I need to find someone who can cut those rings (and maybe the plywood fins) for a decent price.

About shooting paint cans. The don't explode. The bullet or BB makes a hole and the can turns into a rocket. The pressure release stream is strong enough to spin the can around. When I blow them up the can splits open. No shrapnel.

Today was finally a nice day. Got primmer on two rockets. That makes three that need color and four that need primmer. Looking at the weather forecast looks like we are going to have a few nice days. I worked on the new rocket. Drew a template for the fins and cut them out. Then filled the grain and sanded them. I'll attach them shortly.

All are clusters. 3x29 triangle, 3x29 straight, 7x29, and 2x38mm. Now I need to find someone who can cut those rings (and maybe the plywood fins) for a decent price.
You might check in with Balsa Machining to see if they have the centering rings in stock or would cut them custom.

I have and flew one of these that was given to me built. On its maiden flight, the shock cord came out of the body tube, leading to a hard landing and a broken wing. That's all glued up now, but I need to re-work the shock cord attachment. You might want to look hard at that as you're building.

They fly really nicely on a C6-3. I wish there was a red Q-jet but that's probably a pipe dream.

I have and flew one of these that was given to me built. On its maiden flight, the shock cord came out of the body tube, leading to a hard landing and a broken wing. That's all glued up now, but I need to re-work the shock cord attachment. You might want to look hard at that as you're building.

They fly really nicely on a C6-3. I wish there was a red Q-jet but that's probably a pipe dream.
I think it'll do nicely on a C5-3 as well as the D11s, but I agree... a red flame would be cool.

Going to swing it back over here for the Goblin, the other thread is in hibernation, and I really enjoy this one.

Running a little behind here at the camper didn't get to the retainers today. Still getting mini fillets done on the body tube just to fill in the gap, the Integrity is in the can. Straight and pretty smooth. It'll touch up nice after cure and should take paint smoothly. And the little homemade rocket box is earning its keep today. Happy baby steps.

Attachments

• 20230202_161656.jpg
    20230202_161656.jpg
    744.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230202_161708.jpg
    20230202_161708.jpg
    777.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230202_170021.jpg
    20230202_170021.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
Installed the coupler on the Zeph and joined the 2 sections. Slopped a little thinned filler on the seam cause sanding is my life! Just about ready for the paint pile. Since warmer days are still a ways off I think I might have to pick up a 4" LOC Goblin so I have something else to build.

Zephyr_020223.JPG

Continued the CAD work on my nose cone sled. Have the rings to fit 1.9", Quest 50mm, BT-70, BT-80, and Estes 3" cones done. Sled bulkhead that will fit the first three cones done. Adapter bulkheads for BT-80 and 3" cones done. End caps for an add-on ballast capsule done. Now I just need to design the sled itself.

Back