What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Found a can of DupliColor blue that looks ok, sprayed a short body tube to see how it'd look. No more painting for a while. We're supposed to get ice tonight and tomorrow, and possibly Thursday. And too-cold-to-paint temperatures for at least a week.

.... i played my self :(

20230130_144556.jpg

got myself a few tings fer me birthday, buuuuuut i guess i didnt read the fine print, the SLS is a prebuilt :( :( :( i was really looking forward to building it. The paintwork is meh, ill probably redo it, but still, i almost like the building more than launching.... mebbe

Worked a bit on a rack for storing and hauling rockets. Fits in the Outback with the rear passenger-side seat down. Made it with pieces of excess flooring trimmings from our recent floor work and mailing tubes. Velcro across all horizontal supports and on the bottom of the tube halves. Need to cut anti-roll blocks for them all yet.

IMG_20230130_163337621_HDR.jpg

.... i played my self :(

got myself a few tings fer me birthday, buuuuuut i guess i didnt read the fine print, the SLS is a prebuilt :( :( :( i was really looking forward to building it. The paintwork is meh, ill probably redo it, but still, i almost like the building more than launching.... mebbe
Well gosh... send the SLS my way! LOL! Just kidding. Besides that Saturn 1B should take some buildin'

Today I got all the parts for my next build. It's going to be a 2.2" with 2 SRB's. A couple of days ago I finished the lander. It's a 3" BT with a 38mm mmt. It is 44" long and weighs 59 ounces. Fins are 1/4" ply. The shock absorbers on the fins are a styrene tube with a 1/4" rod inside. The shocks are just for looks.20230128_141005[1936].jpg20230128_141015[1937].jpg20230128_141051[1938].jpg The landing pads are 1/4" ply. I dyed the epoxy orange to match the feet. There is a nose cone bay for an Apogee.

GD- know Cal City well- used to shred out there on many a dirt bike. I miss Mojave something fierce. But I love my mountains up here, too. I worked at Honda on Torrance for 20 years. Was a member of the Redondo Rod n Gun Club on Peral Ave. And at Chevron shot trap every Sunday on ESB. Getting old and miss the old days. And the Ocean. I moved for a lot of reasons and right now, I can recall one.

Az has a lot going for it. Especially in the boonies, if that's your flavor. Az is WAY more gun friendly than rocket friendly. You can carry a 1911 concealed w/o any paper work, but not an H130. Yeesh!

3 HP launch spots that I've found, 1 Tripoli High Altitude spot WAY west the valley [very exclusive BALLS launches] , 1 WAY west of PHX general LP/HP spot (SSS prefect, that's my spot for upcoming quals- primitive unless there's a big meet), 1 general LP/HP'ish spot by Tucson- family friendly so bring the kids- and they also do LP park launches at various sites which is very cool! Just like the old days!

I used to launch LP/MP at Flagler Park back in the 70's. Beryl and Flagler. Right below where they filmed the original gone in 60 Secs. Worked at Bob's Bike Rack and Hobby. Largest bike n rocket shop in So Cal. At 14 I was living it there.
You never ran across a old friend of mine WALT Becker?

If he worked for Honda? I am sorry if I don't recognize the name. I probably could have. It was a large campus with over 5k employees with off site offices just down the street. And I got that question A LOT! hahaha...
I did meet Mr Honda several times, and other racers and notables (like all others did at Honda) so I got that going for me!

Around town? It was a long time ago.
Becker- hmmm...I knew a Ralph Becker, a Don Becker, had a Becker surfboard once. I know a couple Walt's Cali is pretty big. And I'd feel lousy if he knew me and I'd forgotten him.

Assembled the recovery anchor into the 3D printed transition I made months ago for a 4"-to-3" shipping tube rocket. Other than the Aeropack retainer (which I now regret), I want to make this a inexpensive as possible. I'm not making my own chute, either, so that's not cheap. But I already have it from a crashed rocket, so it's not a new cost.

Weather was finally nice out and I got to prime my Dragon Rocketry 4" Exocet (lower portion for now).

View attachment 560365

Unfortunately the can clogged shortly after taking this pic. :facepalm:
"Clogged"... the can.... or the nozzle? I always warm the can of paint in hot water for about 10 minutes before I use it... and have never had a clogging issue.

"Clogged"... the can.... or the nozzle? I always warm the can of paint in hot water for about 10 minutes before I use it... and have never had a clogging issue.
Can is clogged. Before use, I pre-warm and keep spray cans next to a hot water dispenser (it's not hot on the sides and it's insulated, so it's nicely warm).

I have a bunch of older cans and if they clog in the can, I'll put it aside thinking that one day I'll put on a hazmat suit and punch a tiny hole in its top to vent it and salvage the paint (or direct on some household project).

I keep some good nozzles to reuse after I empty a spray can and this cleared the above clog for a bit, but then it clogged for good. I also tried heating the can in hot water.

Once or twice I've written to Rustoleum about the clogged can issue when I got the can new and they sent me a coupon for another can, but these are pretty old by now since I probably got them around 2015 before I took a break and may have even frozen in storage.

Last edited:

Is that a stable design? Looks way cool, but appears over finned for a model rocket.

I saw a fellow on FB who did an outstanding job of finishing his RR F-104, it looked a lot like an Estes Interceptor. But the RR design has the "wings" way more far forward than an Interceptor.

My mindsim says the rocket will weather cock and ground hit.

Latest posts

Back