What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Look into T-88 epoxy, much longer cure time but lower curing temperature.
And not trying to start a glue thread here but as you can see in my prior post the fin can fillets are nice and clear. But one of them went on nice and clear then an hour later kicked off a little strange and it's pretty milky with tons of micro bubbles.

As you can see in this picture one pot is clear, like all the others are, and the offending one obviously isn't. I did exactly the same thing for every pot and every fillet but for some reason this one went off the reservation. Not sure if it kicked off too fast and trapped air in it or what. But I've never had this happen before I'm really careful with this stuff and don't mix up huge batches of it, mix thoroughly, watch the temperature do a few Hail Marys blah blah blah. Not sure what I did wrong. But something went sideways.

Attachments

• 20230128_225137.jpg
    20230128_225137.jpg
    894.7 KB · Views: 0
Today there was a meeting of the faithful in the shadow of the Neil A. Armstrong Flight Test Center, replete with the Blue Angels (or so I am told) practicing for a spell over the Not-So-Dry 'Rogers Dry Lake Bed' (thanks to some welcome water falling from the sky in SoCal). As an ex fighter crew chief (F106s and F111s), there is nothing like hearing burners in the morning! (Unless you had to suffer through KC-135 water injection in the morning. Damn that was loud!).

OMG. Our launch???!!! More fun than you can possibly imagine!!!! It was just like the night before Christmas about 30 days ago! Zero wind from dawn to 2pm when I left. Clear. Temps from 10C to 21C. Just wonderful! And I got to schmooz with my regular clan as well as see some rocket pals I had not seen in quite a while! How fun!!!! When I got home my wife said "How was it???!" - I said "More fun than barrel of kittens!" Working on the photos and a launch report to post tomorrow. TLDR: Some good. Some not so much. I need to to work on my clustering fu.

And not trying to start a glue thread here but as you can see in my prior post the fin can fillets are nice and clear. But one of them went on nice and clear then an hour later kicked off a little strange and it's pretty milky with tons of micro bubbles.

As you can see in this picture one pot is clear, like all the others are, and the offending one obviously isn't. I did exactly the same thing for every pot and every fillet but for some reason this one went off the reservation. Not sure if it kicked off too fast and trapped air in it or what. But I've never had this happen before I'm really careful with this stuff and don't mix up huge batches of it, mix thoroughly, watch the temperature do a few Hail Marys blah blah blah. Not sure what I did wrong. But something went sideways.
And to address my little conundrum I went online and did a bunch of research. Temperature and incorrect mixing technique with the little stick seem to make the most sense. Next batch I'll make sure the adhesive is a little bit warmer and that I take it easy while I'm mixing and not introduce a bunch of air in to it that can't escape.

I was unable to sleep so I got up and did the last of the internal fillets for the Bullet Bobby XXL. I realized that I now have to modify the next centering ring a bit to fit it around the epoxy fillets. That's no big deal. At least my messy fillets will be hidden, lmao.

And to address my little conundrum I went online and did a bunch of research. Temperature and incorrect mixing technique with the little stick seem to make the most sense. Next batch I'll make sure the adhesive is a little bit warmer and that I take it easy while I'm mixing and not introduce a bunch of air in to it that can't escape.
One of the things I really like about the various System 3 products (like T-88) is that they tend to shed any bubbles fairly well. One caution--the curing time on the T-88 is usually far longer than what it says on the box. That's usually fine as long as you don't plan to do three sets of external fillets in 3 hours.

Tripoli Okla. had a launch at Sayre on Saturday. It was cool (40's-50's) and a little windy, but with clear skies (only a few, high wispy clouds). The SWOSU team was there, working on perfecting two-stage rocketry for the Argonia Cup Challenge. They got three flights in. I got two flights on the Possum Express. The first, on an H130, was textbook. Great recovery with deployment by Eggtimer Apogee and JLCR. I wanted to use my new Eggtimer Classic for dual deploy, but one of the batteries had fried itself. *sigh* The second flight of the Possum was on another H130, but somehow the chute got tangled or fouled after it opened, and the rocket landed rather hard on the runway. I'm going to have a lot of rockets to fix when the weather gets warm (temp in the garage high enough to cure epoxy). There were several great flights by other club members.

swosu.jpg swosu2.jpg

Last edited:
Gray primer on a gray day.
View attachment 560189
Rockets on a rocket with a jet pokin outa da back. Neat-o!

Too cold n windy to do any outdoor work. Snow on the way.
Stuck in the camper watching epoxy cure. (tic-tok, zzzz....grab thermo gun, check temps in tented off dinette....rinse and repeat).

Rocketry = patience.

Nap time!

Wrote this launch report from yesterday - Hope you enjoy

The first rocket up was the Rocketry Warehouse Sublime. It is my largest rocket. Bought when there was a Rocketry Warehouse and for around $130.
I think that is what the Nose Cone costs today. :) 🤑 Loaded up with a K695 and an Archetype cable cutter for deployment at 500'.
Well it WOULD have been first up. Search as I may, the nose cone was nowhere in the vehicle. Yep. Left it in the garage at home.
Unbelievable. :questions::facepalm::dontknow:

So we skip ahead to the Mojave Mortar. And an OD built from a 54mm ACME fin can and a payload section from a long departed rocket using a LOC 54m to 80mm transition and I think the nose cone from my old LOC Forte. Anyway it sported an AT H97J and a Missileworks RRC2 Mini for apogee deployment and a cable cutter (well ty wrap cutter) at 500'. This flight was slow and majestic to a whole whopping 740' (230m). The chute
bundle was out for what seemed like all of few seconds and cutter went off. Floated nicely to the ground not far away. Yea! I was on the
2023 newton second board.

Next was my scratch built Solar Sailor II.VI. A 2.6x upscale of the Estes kit. It sported a CTI H90CL. Barely more than a full G impulse.
Also new was the Eggtimer Classic doing the apogee deployment and the Archetype cable cutter. Because the launch controller was having
issues I did not get a decent launch shot because it launched when I was thinking it would not. However it did deploy at apogee and the
cable cutter did its thing. Now this is the weird part. I have NO idea exactly how this happened but somehow the long body stuffed
itself into the parachute tail first deflating it and the entire rocket plumented tail first to the relatively soft ground. Damage is not too bad.
There are some joints that will need gluing and filling in the truss section. But otherwise it will fly again... just not sure what
really happened.

Next up I presented my never flown yet AT Arreux. My third maiden of the morning. I was burning an old (OLD) AT F Black Jack.
Well that old F motor chuffed more times than I could count. I just kept pressing the shutter thinking it'll go sometime!! And it did. And the 6 second delay was more like 8 but it all held together! A nice lob up to 525' (160m)

Ok. Three flights down. I brought out the Flamethrower with two E12-6s and a JL Chute Release. I ohmed out the starters (Estes) and
thought I had done my due diligence and STILL only got one lit. And there was plenty of juice going to them. Well one E12-6 ain't
gonna cut it and the deployment charge when off about a second after it lake staked. End of Rocket. Oh Flamethrower we knew ye' for
such a short time. 😩😢
The unlit motor had a broken ignitor. Must have been when I put the plug in.
The JLCR tested fine when I got home. So I don't think it was a total loss. But the JL Altimeter One in the payload bay was toast. I mean not even worth sending for repair. So I am in the market for one if you are selling.

Ok that did not go so well.

My OD Strongtium 29 was next. Loaded with an AT F12-5 (more like 8 :p). Inside the payload was an Eggtimer Apogee that was riding along
for testing since it was just built. It was connected to one of the chinese e-matches that everyone says don't use (I have yet to have one fail).
However there was no charge in it. Just some wadding wrapped around it for testing. Looking back I wonder why? Why not use a charge?
Well the delay went long and the height was not what I predicted - only 450' (137m) according to the Apogee. There was an event - late . And it did make a nice zipper! About 4 inches. The ET Apogee did set off the e-match. So odds are IT would have saved the day, had there been any BP! Oh well, cut off the tube and fly it as a shorter rocket!

So being mad at E's I brought out my Eliminator Eeeee! A franken rocket built from salvaged parts, I use to get rid of older Estes E's. Last time we got a nice E15 CATO. However it always comes back for more. I think it has been through 4 or 5 CATOS. This time I thought I'd try the E9.
Well zoom zoom zoom... off it went to 1040' (320m) and recovered close by using a PML 24" chute with a spill hole.

Another maiden.. I have had the Rocketarium Gadfly built for a few months but no flights until now. Three C6-5s. After all the Flamethrower had gone so well! What could go wrong? Again I checked the starters. I thought all was good. I was wrong. Two of the three lit and it arc'd up to 400' (122m). However it all held together accept for a broken shroud line. No zipper. And, wait... a broken starter... And this time I had used putty not plugs. Time to break out the MJG BP starters.

I have had this converted crayon lamp built forever. Like a few years. Just never got round tuit. But today it flew. Well sort of. On a F24-4 (hey there is a lot of nose weight so it needed some grunt). It was marginally stable. It did not chase its tail, but it was more cruise missle'ish. Still, I got a deployment before it hit the ground and it was all together.

M

So that is a wrap. I destroyed one and have to fix two. 570ns burned give or take. About 90% a full I motor. And more fun that you can imagine! And saw old friends again. I can not believe I left the Sublime's NC home. Oh well.. next month I guess. More images here

Comments welcome! (EDIT: Sorry I meant to break this up! If you comment, delete the included text)

Last edited:
gdjsky- just wow. Best report ever. Sorry bout the FT, but...if ya gota go? In Flames!

Where in Mojave do you shoot? I'm familiar with a LOT of the dez out there (x-dirt biker - Charlies Place, Husky Hill, Red Mtn, Domes, White Mines, Spangler, etc....). Miss the hills and pucker bushes.

My folks lived in RB a long time (Beryl and Amethyst across from the old Von's market and Big D burgers, lived at Ave. G, and Prospect Ave, etc....way many moons ago) . I know that spot well and all the local surf breaks. I'm in Az. now stuck in the mountains. Sounds dumb but I miss Ca. (when ya get out of the city.)

Great pics/report and thanks. I lived it. Thank you.

(edit- spelling)

Last edited:
I decided to get out the Saturn V kit I started building 3 years ago. Abandoned the 24mm MMT and paper rings. Cut new 3/16 plywood rings with 29mm Center and 4 x18mm outer mounts. Not sure yet if I’ll do electronics bay or simple motor eject.

50th. I'd pay 5$ to smell all those parts in the box. Go MD. Get all your friends to catch her in a blanket. Anything A-11 deserves it.

I got to have a heat gun and a small space heater pointed at me while I'm mixing and filling because I can't let the temp go down below 70 with that 30. Slap the stuff on cover it with foil and crank up the heat and go have a cup of cocoa. Then babysit for an hour with the laser thermometer trying to keep it between 80 and 90°. Then on to the next in 2 hours.
Sounds like a real PITA. I admire your dedication. And I wonder if you've considered making a heated curing box.

Hey, Joe, Good suggestion. Thanks! And it is a PIA, but it's getting way better. After retiring and closing up shop last year , I lost my workspace. Now "things" get done in the camper, or outdoors when it's nice.

I did make a curing area with the tented dinette in my camper (see other posts for pics). After baby-sitting it for a few I'm learning what it likes to keep the temps steady and the thermal gun is my friend. We're on a slow, easy roll now and things are getting done in baby steps, trying to leave nothing to chance, cuz it's rocket stuff!

Patience, attention to detail, move on to the next step!

Then: 5.........4.........3........2......1........fingers crossed and Weeeeeeeeee!

gdjsky- just wow. Best report ever. Sorry bout the FL, but...if ya gota go? In Flames!

Where in Mojave do you shoot? I'm familiar with a LOT of the dez out there (x-dirt biker - Charlies Place, Husky Hill, Red Mtn, Domes, White Mines, Spangler, etc....). Miss the hills and pucker bushes.

My folks lived in RB a long time (Beryl and Amethyst across from the old Von's market and Big D burgers, lived at Ave. G, and Prospect Ave, etc....way many moons ago) . I know that spot well and all the local surf breaks. I'm in Az. now stuck in the mountains. Sounds dumb but I miss Ca. (when ya get out of the city.)

Great pics/report and thanks. I lived it. Thank you.
This launch was held out near North Edwards. A few miles east of California City near a place called Aerial Acres. No 'facilities'. No vendors. Just a few peeps launching rockets. Mojave Desert Advanced Rocketry Society. A TRA Prefecture.

I am near Torrance and Prospect. Not far from the pier. That you miss California does not sound dumb. California is truly an amazing place. Travel this state. It has everything. And there is a reason Los Angeles County is a traffic nightmare. Because 12 million people call it home as do 14 million cars. Because it's CHEAP? HELL NO! Because in the winter you can ski and the morning, and by late afternoon be walking on the beach. Because it rains 30 days a year in SoCal IF we are lucky. Because the coastline is sandy, no wait it is rocky, no wait there are amazing cliffs, no there are 10k' mountains, no wait... and everything in between. I could go on and on. It is like no other place on Earth. It's why so many people are here.

Now as to being 'stuck in AZ'. Well I will hope retire in AZ or NV. I love astronomy so dark skies are what I seek in retirement. Most places in the US can't hold a candle to CA. But the people in this hobby, for the most part, are amazing and wonderful!

Thank you for the compliment. I normally post in multiple replies in the forum for posting launch reports. I thought this might be better. Until I hit an arbitrary 10k character limit I did not know existed. <sigh>

Last edited:
Got the makings from Jim and have been making igniters.
There are also some little ones and tiny ones for my 18 mm D grains.
I will not be making them commercially like Jim did.
Igniters 1.jpg

GD- know Cal City well- used to shred out there on many a dirt bike. I miss Mojave something fierce. But I love my mountains up here, too. I worked at Honda on Torrance for 20 years. Was a member of the Redondo Rod n Gun Club on Peral Ave. And at Chevron shot trap every Sunday on ESB. Getting old and miss the old days. And the Ocean. I moved for a lot of reasons and right now, I can recall one.

Az has a lot going for it. Especially in the boonies, if that's your flavor. Az is WAY more gun friendly than rocket friendly. You can carry a 1911 concealed w/o any paper work, but not an H130. Yeesh!

3 HP launch spots that I've found, 1 Tripoli High Altitude spot WAY west the valley [very exclusive BALLS launches] , 1 WAY west of PHX general LP/HP spot (SSS prefect, that's my spot for upcoming quals- primitive unless there's a big meet), 1 general LP/HP'ish spot by Tucson- family friendly so bring the kids- and they also do LP park launches at various sites which is very cool! Just like the old days!

I used to launch LP/MP at Flagler Park back in the 70's. Beryl and Flagler. Right below where they filmed the original gone in 60 Secs. Worked at Bob's Bike Rack and Hobby. Largest bike n rocket shop in So Cal. At 14 I was living it there.

Did some more work on my 4" Black Fly repair. Drilled the holes in the forward airframe and nose cone coupler so they can be attached. Epoxied the backing nuts into the nose cone coupler. Just have to figure out the end of the booster to make it kinda zipperless and then reassemble everything.

I used to launch LP/MP at Flagler Park back in the 70's. Beryl and Flagler. Right below where they filmed the original gone in 60 Secs. Worked at Bob's Bike Rack and Hobby. Largest bike n rocket shop in So Cal. At 14 I was living it there.
Yeah another consequence of CA's overpopulation and climate change causing dry conditions (amongst other things). No places to launch LPR/MPR. Everyone *thinks* it will cause a fire. Ummm not LPR in a school yard... but then there are airports everywhere. The is one location in all of LA Country. Run by a guy that is a little king. There is NOTHING in OC. Mile Square Park became 3 golf courses. There is ROC out in Lucerne Valley (2.5hrs), my spot out near Edwards (2.5hrs), DART in San Diego (3.5 hrs) and Holtville in S.D (or is it Imperial?) county (4.5 hrs). Finally TCC which is like 7 hrs drive. The last two not worth it unless a multi-day launch.

Okay okay. Enough about CA.

Rocket content...
So I fixed the zipper in the Strongtium 29. Cut the four inches (10cm) off and used half a BT-70 coupler to join a 5 inch (13cm) piece. I'll wrap that raw tubing with some gold vinyl. It'll look like I meant it.

Fixed the 2.6x upscale Solar Sailor's small breaks in the truss section. Will be fine.

Of course cleaned the casings I used.

Began prep for next weekend's LPR launch

Trying to decide what to build next... with the demise of the Flamethrower, I'll have to be a cluster...

I finished up the build portion of my 38mm minimum diameter all carbon fiber scratch build. One of the biggest challenges for me was fitting in dual redundant S2 LiPos, switches and altimeters. We have a launch on Feb. 11th (2023) and I'm hoping to get all the ground testing, graphics, and clear coat done before then so I can fly it! :)🤞

IMG_1750.jpegIMG_1536.jpeg

Finished off the Black Brant X. That's ready for paint. The internal fillets on the Bullet Bobby XXL are done and cured. Now I gotta figure out how to modify the next centering ring to go around the fin/body tube fillets. I'm thinking the fastest would be to use my Dremel tool.

Back