What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
  • Downloaded the OpenRocket source. Compiled... ANT seriously? Sigh. Ok it works, barely
    • Got the ANT project imported into IntelliJ
    • Ran it in debug mode and hit expected breakpoints so I can start to 'explore'
    • Now to actually figure out the data model and get rid of the motor selection panel 'forevah' in favor (at first) to just hosting that panel's contents as a dialog from the simulation panel and update the sims as motors are selected.
  • Or cut back my expectations and just start small and send a pull request to always preserve the sort order. :)
  • Create a gradle project and do away with 20 year old ANT.

....massaging fins w/ 320 on the phone with GF while she was talking about her day at work and after about 5 mins. she was asking: "WTH are you doing over there!?"

Hey, mamma, Dirty Old Fins need love too.

hehehehehe........

Ever built a rocket and then lost it before launching it? :facepalm: 😆

This happened to me a year or two ago with an Estes Hex 3.

Well, cleaning up my workbench area recently I found it had fallen in the back. When I fished it out, it was kind of wonky from being back there, so I'm straightening it out with a "custom" rig. Lol

20230127_233656.jpg

Why go through the trouble? Well, it's now OOP and I always try to launch every rocket I build. :)

Ever built a rocket and then lost it before launching it? :facepalm: 😆

This happened to me a year or two ago with an Estes Hex 3.

Well, cleaning up my workbench area recently I found it had fallen in the back. When I fished it out, it was kind of wonky from being back there, so I'm straightening it out with a "custom" rig. Lol

View attachment 559910

Why go through the trouble? Well, it's now OOP and I always try to launch every rocket I build. :)

You'll like it. Ours has been a great recipient of Q-Jets with questionable nozzles. Always exciting.

CE9BE088-0EBD-4128-8FC5-E93CE8FFF633.jpeg
Almost finished with my Goblin 2.6!
Just gotta do some fillets on the exterior now.
The interior fillets were a pain but I’m happy with the way it’s turning out so far.
This has to be up there with my top 5 favorite WM kits or just kits in general…
It’s overall just a nice solid rocket.
Highly recommend 😉

I flew with DART. My Spirit flew twice on a pack of C12-6FJs.

EF92A01C-4ADD-4A73-8C05-C6B6D0A7AF42.jpeg

I reefed the chute for the second flight to account for increasing winds, but still landed directly on top of the berms.

4326BB6B-1B18-429F-BC56-C69A8A81EE57.jpeg

The range obviously didn’t like my Voodoo-witchcraft of flying an Estes kit on Q-Jets. One guy bounced an Enerjet/AeroTech G-Force just southeast of the flight line, another family flew an Alpha III that buried itself in the sand about 6 ft from where I was standing. I didn’t give them a hard time, just asked what they think happened. Turns out the Alpha had been run over by a car on the last flight and the ejection charge vented out through the cracked nose.

I’ll be spending today thinking about how to improve flight safety and maybe send an email out to the officers.

This morning I completed the 1st draft of my Wildman Wasserfall 2.6 sport scale rocket using OR 22.02 Beta 5 (Will update with RC1 soon).

Wasserfall-1st Draft.jpg

Aft fins still need a touch of work but that's about it. And FYI, I'll be using a GLR 29mm Slimline Qwik-Loc retainer.

Was at my kids cub scout Pinewood Derby Race today. Was a win win kinda day.
My daughter placed 1st overall in the pack.

While there I was promoting Rocketry and obtained approx 32 new rocket interested kids. They were in awe and showed a ton of intrest. More kids to sign up to come. The goal is 50 rockets. Then a mass build with 3 other rocketeer pitching in to help at the end of March and then pack launch day in April.

Pic is of my Wildman 2.6 Wasserfall and 4" Gizmo. The little pink one is the baby Bertha.
The beast is the LOC 7.5 Skinwalker.

Attachments

• 20230128_103511.jpg
    20230128_103511.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Played around with rocksim some this afternoon, this time looking for motors to keep flight low in the field out back. I found i have 9 rockets i can fly between 100' and 1000'. A trip to hobby lobby was in order, cleaned em out on A8-3, B6-4, an C6-5"s Got the battery on the garden tractor charging...i ain"t walking after all them rockets !

View attachment 559996
Almost finished with my Goblin 2.6!
Just gotta do some fillets on the exterior now.
The interior fillets were a pain but I’m happy with the way it’s turning out so far.
This has to be up there with my top 5 favorite WM kits or just kits in general…
It’s overall just a nice solid rocket.
Highly recommend 😉
Got to get me one of those for the collection.

BSI 5-minute fillets turned out nice and strong here at the camper gave them the yank test this morning only got one tiny tiny little ping no cracks nice and flexible clear epoxy. Back sanded and now it's time for the BSI 30 minute fillets. I got to have a heat gun and a small space heater pointed at me while I'm mixing and filling because I can't let the temp go down below 70 with that 30. Slap the stuff on cover it with foil and crank up the heat and go have a cup of cocoa. Then babysit for an hour with the laser thermometer trying to keep it between 80 and 90°. Then on to the next in 2 hours. Such is winter projects when you live in a van down by the river! After I fillet the fins to the airframe you should be able to beat someone over the head with this thing.

PS... I botched the first one I forgot to exhale in the cup when I was mixing and it came out pretty milky but it's clearing up. Ugh! I'm not that bright!

Attachments

• 20230128_155030.jpg
    20230128_155030.jpg
    691.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230128_155142.jpg
    20230128_155142.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Finally got rockets in the air for the first time since late November, at TNT's January Seymour launch. Among five flights, got to fly the Quest E35 I've been anticipating for months, and it was as impressive a motor as I had hoped. Despite the high winds, we had a large number of flights, and a big time was had by all.

Afterwards had an absolutely phenomenal meal: fried shrimp, fried catfish, fried crappie, fried frog legs, fried chicken, fried okra, hushpuppies, sauteed and grilled zucchini, asparagus, and mushrooms, killer hot smoked sausage, red beans, etc. TNT in general eats well, but tonight was one of the standouts.

Back at the motel, I prepped a few rockets for tomorrow and then tuned into TRF to catch up on the day's posts.

All-in-all, a fine day to be a rocketeer.

Afterwards had an absolutely phenomenal meal: fried shrimp, fried catfish, fried crappie, fried frog legs, fried chicken, fried okra, hushpuppies, sauteed and grilled zucchini, asparagus, and mushrooms, killer hot smoked sausage, red beans, etc. TNT in general eats well, but tonight was one of the standouts.
holy cow :eek: who is the fisherman that brings in fried crappie? that is a mouth watering bunch of food there, highly envious

BSI 5-minute fillets turned out nice and strong here at the camper gave them the yank test this morning only got one tiny tiny little ping no cracks nice and flexible clear epoxy. Back sanded and now it's time for the BSI 30 minute fillets. I got to have a heat gun and a small space heater pointed at me while I'm mixing and filling because I can't let the temp go down below 70 with that 30. Slap the stuff on cover it with foil and crank up the heat and go have a cup of cocoa. Then babysit for an hour with the laser thermometer trying to keep it between 80 and 90°. Then on to the next in 2 hours. Such is winter projects when you live in a van down by the river! After I fillet the fins to the airframe you should be able to beat someone over the head with this thing.

PS... I botched the first one I forgot to exhale in the cup when I was mixing and it came out pretty milky but it's clearing up. Ugh! I'm not that bright!
Look into T-88 epoxy, much longer cure time but lower curing temperature.

Look into T-88 epoxy, much longer cure time but lower curing temperature.
Will do. Couple fillets went on nice and clear then bam....pretty micro bubbly and I was super careful/by the book. Can't explain it, don't know what I did wrong. They should hold and thankfully they're out of sight once the fin can is installed in the AF. Thank you for the tip.

Back