What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
exactly+1 ,purely cosmetic to make the surfaces smoother than a newborns bottom. Now I'm wondering if the 3M product you pictured is smoother/buttery than the DAP spackling compound? The reason I'm abandoning the Bondo Spot/Glazing product is simply health related, as it swells my eyes 1/2 shut. :mad: These water-based fillers also sand so easily.👍
I started with the DAP product, and tried the 3M with prImer mixed in when the store didn't have DAP. I'll never go back. The 3M is, just as you say, smoother and creamier. It seems to be just a smidge denser, and spreads like a dream.

Went to an estate sale after dropping our son off at school for finals.

There's an 8" sonotube sitting in the carport for $2, probably 48" long. Like I need another project, but it was not possible to pass on that for 2 bucks. Now, what to make of it?
One of the piers for a deck?

One of the piers for a deck?

Yipe!

Only one floor with a small crawl space here, so we have a patio instead of a deck. It could be one pier for a dock, but fortunately the 4x4 piers are the only part of our dock that's in decent shape.

The other thing I envisioned was a transmission line speaker, but then I'd need at least one more tube.

• 3D printing permanently mounted fin alignment guides
  • Adding fillets to the top centering on my DX3 Massive motor mount
  • Sanding bulkheads and centering rings for my Adventurer3
  • Sending back a 2.6" nose cone sent to me in error by Madcow Rocketry
  • Purchased a 54mm hybrid motor system from Contrail
  • Fussing about some intrusive 3D print software...
...and it is only 10:51AM!!

I started with the DAP product, and tried the 3M with prImer mixed in when the store didn't have DAP. I'll never go back. The 3M is, just as you say, smoother and creamier. It seems to be just a smidge denser, and spreads like a dream.
Now I'll have CWF and DAP tubs never getting used again. The first review on the 3M product said, "Do not make the mistake of buying this product":D, 2nd one said it had a foul odor, another said it dried out in the tub, typical reviews. There was also a picture of 3M "High Strength" but it had a black label on it. Ever seen that one? Maybe it was just different/previous packaging.

Yipe!

Only one floor with a small crawl space here, so we have a patio instead of a deck. It could be one pier for a dock, but fortunately the 4x4 piers are the only part of our dock that's in decent shape.

The other thing I envisioned was a transmission line speaker, but then I'd need at least one more tube.
How long..... Could make some pretty punchy 3-ways for the field! :cool:👍 Or the world's first 8" rocket with its own on-board passive sub-woofer.😂 ;)

Now I'll have CWF and DAP tubs never getting used again. The first review on the 3M product said, "Do not make the mistake of buying this product":D, 2nd one said it had a foul odor, another said it dried out in the tub, typical reviews. There was also a picture of 3M "High Strength" but it had a black label on it. Ever seen that one? Maybe it was just different/previous packaging.
As far as I can tell, the Red label on white tub/tube is gone in favor of newer packaging.... still compound plus primer...

How long..... Could make some pretty punchy 3-ways for the field

Probably 4’, I haven’t measured yet.

Folded once, that would get close to 7’ length with no taper. At a little over a cubic foot internal, that ought to leave a fair selection of 6-7” drivers to pick from! But no speaker building until I get my rocket fleet settled a bit.

After being held back from L2 cert due to low ceiling, it’s obvious I have an opening for a big, draggy rocket with a 54mm motor mount! Big Baby Bertha, Big Fat Daddy Boy, or what not. A Big Bucky Jones would be cool…

Today I packed everything away in storage boxes, moved into the closet upstairs’ and garage. Current unfinished builds,
( a PML Pteradactyl Jr, and a WM Lance Beta needing final finish coats) to the rack in the garage.
I don’t see any rocket building anytime soon in my future. :(:(:(

Today I packed everything away in storage boxes, moved into the closet upstairs’ and garage. Current unfinished builds,
( a PML Pteradactyl Jr, and a WM Lance Beta needing final finish coats) to the rack in the garage.
I don’t see any rocket building anytime soon in my future. :(:(:(
what gives:questions:

Got my L1! Was a rocketry goal of mine for 2022, now achieved with two weeks to spare!

To that end, a big thanks to Adam who led me through the cert process, and to everyone else at NOVAAR. Very nice folks who ran a safe, efficient, and fun launch for all ages and skill levels. Will definitely be back in the new year.

Point by point:
2nd one said it had a foul odor
Well, it smells unpleasant, but no more than a can of latex paint. And not as strong as when you pry the lid off the paint can.
another said it dried out in the tub
I've had that happen, only after a year or more of not using any.
Ever seen that one?
No.

Got my L1! Was a rocketry goal of mine for 2022, now achieved with two weeks to spare!

To that end, a big thanks to Adam who led me through the cert process, and to everyone else at NOVAAR. Very nice folks who ran a safe, efficient, and fun launch for all ages and skill levels. Will definitely be back in the new year.
Congratulations!

Drove up to Argonia this morning. Lousy weather in OKC area, better as we headed north. By the time we got to the Pasture, the skies had mostly cleared off. It was somewhat cold, but the wind made it feel much worst.

I put up the Possum Express on an H130. The up part was great. After that, not so much. I think I'm cursed at Argonia. I'm 0 for 3 in altimeter deploy (including JLCR). The rocket was saved from total destruction by motor eject. JLCR never released. Every flight with exactly the same setup goes perfectly at Sayre.

on the way up...
possex.jpg

We ran across a field of dog barf in the wild...
dogbarf.jpg

Drove up to Argonia this morning. Lousy weather in OKC area, better as we headed north. By the time we got to the Pasture, the skies had mostly cleared off. It was somewhat cold, but the wind made it feel much worst.

I put up the Possum Express on an H130. The up part was great. After that, not so much. I think I'm cursed at Argonia. I'm 0 for 3 in altimeter deploy (including JLCR). The rocket was saved from total destruction by motor eject. JLCR never released. Every flight with exactly the same setup goes perfectly at Sayre.

on the way up...
View attachment 550276

We ran across a field of dog barf in the wild...
View attachment 550278
Looks like the field of dog barf at Turkey and Grits

These are 3D printed razor-planes of my own creation. These take razor blades which are cheaper, shaper, and much more common then the version in the hobby shops. I printed them in nostalgic '70s patriotic colors like Bicentennial and Allis-Chalmers....

View attachment 550095

I need to upload the files to Thingiverse someday.

Tomorrow is someday. So is today. Just sayin'.

No need; the very purpose if spackle is to be applied, sanded smooth, and then painted. I use a light weight foamed spackle with primer built in. It goes on like cake frosting. It is weak and soft, so it's only for aesthetic use, like filling grain or oversize fillets.
View attachment 550121

As far as I can tell, the Red label on white tub/tube is gone in favor of newer packaging.... still compound plus primer...

All I can find in current distribution is this: https://www.lowes.com/pd/3M-Patch-Plus-Primer-8-fl-oz-White-Patching-Compound/3851673

Is it the same stuff?

01598008.jpg

The large hole patching leads me to think it's not, as I don't remember the stuff I've used saying anything about large holes or "high strength". If I can't het the red and white tub anymore it'll be a real shame.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Finally got a ratchety 15 yo D9-7W I bought from last year's holiday sale to light! Turns out they were not a good deal with adding the cost of 6 ignitors and a blue thunder reload I had to sacrifice to cut a wedge off and augment the ignitor. You can see the blue thunder smoke cloud in the picture which burnt and I thought, no joy. However, the reload took off after a short delay.
Screenshot_20221210-184945_Video Player.jpg

Went to an estate sale after dropping our son off at school for finals.

There's an 8" sonotube sitting in the carport for $2, probably 48" long. Like I need another project, but it was not possible to pass on that for 2 bucks. Now, what to make of it?
Measure the diameter first since it may not be 8". For example, Lowes (and I believe Home Depot) have their 8" sonotubes arrive 3 nested inside each other...how? They vary in diameter. I know because I was looking for 7.5" ones to match my 7.5" nose cones and found some. I guess they figure people won't care about a 1/2" off or so on a concrete piling.

I finished papering a batch of fins, but forgot I had 4 more for one more rocket.
In the stack are 19 fins- one 3FNC, one 4FNC, two rockets with split fins. I set up my old belt/disk sander to sand the edges even. I stack the fins, line them up the best I can, and push a couple of sewing pins through them to hold them in alignment while I sand the edges. I still have to round the edges, seal the edges, put wood filler on a couple of rough areas, and they they will be ready to glue to the airframes. Altogether that is 5 LPR rockets in construction at the same time.
IMG_5079r.jpg

Back