What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I covered the whole thing in red and white. Sadly it disintegrated into a cloud of balsa shards after a few flights. I didn't yet have my Cannon super-micro rx/servo set - it was quite heavy and flew like a vaguely controllable brick.
Now that's reassuring....

I've been trying to get LiPo batteries for different rocket electronics projects. I ordered some batteries from Amazon last week. They said they would be here Sunday. Then (hooray) they would be here Saturday. Nope, bad weather (it was a beautiful day) in delivery area caused delay. Now arriving Sunday morning. Nope, Sunday afternoon. Nope, Sunday night. It's delivered!!! Except not to MY house. No one knows where it is. Started a chat with someone in India, and gave up after 30 minutes of no response. They're *supposed* to replace the order. Who knows where THAT will end up.

And, like an idiot, I ordered connectors and chargers for the batteries that never showed up.

Woke up with swollen, burning eyes from putting the epoxy fillets on last night. Something has changed as I use to work everyday for 2 years with this same brand. 🤔

Woke up with swollen, burning eyes from putting the epoxy fillets on last night. Something has changed as I use to work everyday for 2 years with this same brand. 🤔
Even if you weren't allergic to epoxy before, I have read that you can develop an allergy over time. So please wear gloves, eyewear, and work in a well ventilated area the next time.
Or use a safer adhesive.
(No, I don't have a recommendation for a replacement).

(No, I don't have a recommendation for a replacement).

At the risk of going off into a glue thread (again) I'll just remind you that, as has been discussed many times before, wood glue is more than adequate for paper and wood.

At the risk of going off into a glue thread (again) I'll just remind you that, as has been discussed many times before, wood glue is more than adequate for paper and wood.
Of course. Since Marty was using epoxy, I assumed it was something other than wood product to wood product.

After spending way too much time at the bottom of the green rocket box, the Everglades Mosquito and the WAC corporal got a face lift. The Mosquito's fins were pointing in every direction but right. I ripped them off and replaced them in their correct positions. Both rockets had a failed attempt at "painting" the NCs with a felt tip pen. Gloss black spray looks much better.

Attachments

• 20221206_144421.jpg
    20221206_144421.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
applied some of the spackling compound on the spirals of the 40 year old Maxi Alpha, the color changing type that was recommended on here. It's supposed to be 66 tomorrow, so I'll go out on the patio and sand on it. I know it gets removed quickly so I'll try 400 grit.
Have I mentioned how much I hate cheap, poor quality materials? Spirals are unacceptable and life is WAY too short to waste your remaining time on them. :mad:

Last edited:
applied some of the spackling compound on the spirals of the 40 year old Maxi Alpha, the color changing type that was recommended on here. It's supposed to be 66 tomorrow, so I'll go out on the patio and sand on it. I know it gets removed quickly so I'll try 400 grit.
Have I mentioned how much I hate cheap, poor quality materials? Spirals are unacceptable and life is WAY too short to waste your remaining time on them. :mad:
Spirals are a function of the manufacturing method. A slight gap is better than overlap. It's just kind of the nature of the beast.

Stopped at Menards after work for a few things, one of which was the 8oz 5-minute epoxy for rockets and stuff. It went down in price $3 to $16.99. Nice to see.

This first foam/fiberglass/Bondo nosecone was a huge learning experience. It's not pretty, but it's shaped well enough and solid. It'll go on the upscale (5.25" diameter) Big Daddy and I'll take what I learned and make another for the Doorknob. But, I had to put it on the Doorknob to see what it looks like😄

IMG_20221204_132909115.jpg
IMG_20221206_181010094.jpg
IMG_20221206_183114033_HDR.jpg

Back