What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finished gluing the fuselage together and sanded the corners for a MIT Bogling. I also finished building the stabilizers and fin. Epoxied the wing roots together on the Estes Skydancer.
A Bogling?!? I built one of those in 1979 or so. My first RCBG that actually kinda worked.

I ordered a new rocket after discovering it last night, it's now my 2nd favorite rocket. I sold an item, so I have money in my Paypal account, as that's the only source of play money, is selling things. :(
8vIXc4j.jpg

got up early intending to go to a launch. After a shower and first coffee, I was still sleepy. Decided to go back to bed. Of course the word is it was a great launch day.

I jumped back on my Fliskits Doubles build and recut, then reinstalled, one of the two fins that broke off when my work table got appropriated for setting down heavy groceries.

Next one goes on tomorrow, hopefully.

Last night I finally finished widening the fin slots on the Pink Lady. Today, the first of the fins will be epoxied in.

Am in the process of reviewing various team presentations for Launch Canada (the Canadian version of Spaceport - many participate in both!) I'm a judge, one of about a dozen or so..

A 1/2hr presentation from the team on their initial design We then pull them apart for about another 1/2 hr..

And a Tender Decender in every one..

Today are 5 live presentations.
2 last night
1 the night before, 1 before that..

Yesterday - sent my LOC IV with an I-500 with a goal to reach a mile. I hope to one day find that rocket and learn whether I achieved that goal. The Pawnee Grasslands are vast, and 2.75 miles of walking was enough for me.

Today (in related news) - moved my soldering station from the garage to the house, so I can assemble my Eggtimer Quasar rig. If I’m gonna walk a few miles, I wanna know where I’m going.

Last edited:
Made some strides in moving the DX3 Massive closer to 'the end game' by sandin g bulkheads and mounting the 2nd of two fins. Also started a build thread on the Rocketry Warehouse Adventuer 3.

IMG_3249.jpg

What, no guitar string strakes?

They need to be bass strings, with names like Dusty and Fender involved.

So long as you don't string your customers along about the skill level, I doubt they'll be too picky about the build.

Either way, they better not complain or they may end up Asleep In The Desert.

Yesterday - sent my LOC IV with an I-500 with a goal to reach a mile. I hope to one day find that rocket and learn whether I achieved that goal. The Pawnee Grasslands are vast, and 2.75 miles of walking was enough for me.

Today (in related news) - moved my soldering station from the garage to the house, so I can assemble my Eggtimer Quasar rig. If I’m gonna walk a few miles, I wanna know where I’m going.
Sorry to hear about the rocket. Good luck with the Quasar. Very interested to hear end-user reports of its relative difficulty to solder. From reading the assembly manual, it doesn't look too bad.

I've noticed that many university level projects use a TD. Any idea why they're so popular in such projects? Is there a requirement for something along the lines of a TD?
lack of experience!!! (And they see other team use them..)

no, the main issue is that they see these as "reliable" devices to hold teh main in place until they need it to deploy. they then soon discover that the e-match has been torn from it, teh lengthy cord has wrapped around it, and while the charge did fire teh tube held all teh bits together.

a lot of th teams this year have moved away form them. Som eare using line cutters, and others are resorting teh the traditional dual bay / dual deploy sytems we all know & love..

La lot of th teams this year have moved away form them. Som eare using line cutters, and others are resorting teh the traditional dual bay / dual deploy sytems we all know & love..
Anyone ising the Jolly Logic? Lots of people in my club use them and I've yet to observe a failure.

removed the big Maxi Alpha decal on the 40 yearl old rocket I was gifted and started sanding the fins area. There's lots of filling and sanding ahead.

My 7 year old and I finally, actually got to launch some rockets after four months of rain outs, Covid, family travel, and kids’ activities filling up the weekends! 4 successful flights, one shattered fin + fence climb adventure, and one flight that actually did turn out ok even though our homemade electronics failed. And thanks to my 7 year old’s sharp eyes, we even managed not to lose our tiny LunaLady Bug in the high grass.

Attachments

• E4087E3F-DC41-4E5C-A4DD-D808A95C92EE.jpeg
    E4087E3F-DC41-4E5C-A4DD-D808A95C92EE.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Back