What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There appears to be a fair amount info on the web...if the decals are not sealed down then water or vinegar should loosen them( I saw one mention of hand sanitizer) you may require several applications of fluid. I suspect that yours have a clear coat on them which means that you will have to remove the clear coat first.

Paulownia is often advertised in the breathier seed catalogs ("Get 85 pounds of blueberries from a single bush!!") because it grows fast. Like a 50cm diameter trunk in 10 years fast. It also fixes nitrogen, so it's probably not terrible for the soil despite that growth rate. They do leave a fair amount of litter (seed pods, small branches, etc.) in addition to the leaves. Environmentally, it's probably a net positive over balsa since it's not a tropical rain forest tree.

I've also heard that Paulownia can be somewhat of an invasive species and nuisance because it grows and spreads so fast.

1. I used lacquer thinner to remove 1/2 the decals on the old Alpha, as vinegar and nail polish remover didn't work. worked really good and removed all the yellow tint.
Before-
iivc791.jpg

After-
LGHdRdn.jpg

2. glued the 2nd broken/popped fin back on the USAF rocket. 1 more to go.
I like working on multiple rockets.

At request from of my several siblings, I ordered 10x Goblin kits. Over the next 3 weeks I'll build them all and paint flat white. Ar Christmas dinner, all my nephews, nieces and grand-nephews, grand-nieces will decorate them with markers and stickers and then we'll all do a launch. I'll bring my Mega Der Red Max and send it up on one of many G motors as the last rocket of the day.

At request from of my several siblings, I ordered 10x Goblin kits. Over the next 3 weeks I'll build them all and paint flat white. Ar Christmas dinner, all my nephews, nieces and grand-nephews, grand-nieces will decorate them with markers and stickers and then we'll all do a launch. I'll bring my Mega Der Red Max and send it up on one of many G motors as the last rocket of the day.
you're an all right guy to do that. I couldn't build that fast if I spent 8 hours a day on it.

Set up the range for TRA/PHX yesterday. Used a 100 ft tape to set the distances for the newTripoli Unified safety code published earlier this year. Then put out the clubs new Altus Metrum Launch system for low power day yesterday.
Flew eight LPR/MPR rockets and broke a fin (again) on my Estes Executioner. Two C6’s, a D12, two E12’s, an F35 and two G75 Metalstorms! Love that motor....
Sharon flew twice as many rockets and the new launch system worked flawlessly.
Today is High Power, we will be finishing up the year with lots of flights!

I used to have a colleague/work friend named Ron Z (because his real last name was jard to pronounce). He doesn't live in Hawaii.

glued clear fin #3 on Delta II, one more to go, as I let them set 20 hours or so before picking back up.
I wonder if one can get lexan or polycarbonate sheets with antireflective coatings.

Debated if this was rocket related and decided it was more related than not. Scored a new old vise for my new build workbench...this is a May 1945 Wilton 4" machinist bullet vise, made a couple of weeks before the end of WW2 in Europe. It's in fantastic shape, little rust, no pitting to speak of, no cracks, handle not bent, no dings in jaws or anvil, works smoothly, some original paint still present. It must have been hiding quietly somewhere for decades. Went thru Keith Rucker's videos on disassembly and found a matching paint formula on Klass Kote (FS 25526), ordered the paint.
View attachment D20221203_105412_orig_paint.jpg

1. jhill9693 stopped by to but 30 Starrett hole saws from me, we had a great time talking rockets.
2. glued the last clear fin on the Delta II

Scored a new old vise for my new build workbench...this is a May 1945 Wilton 4" machinist bullet vise, made a couple of weeks before the end of WW2 in Europe.

That, sir, is a thing of beauty. I hope your great-grandchildren get as much use out of it as you will. A quality vise will last forever.

Got up this morning to a beautiful sunrise, looking forward to a great day of launching. First flight was the morning wake up with a G75 Metalstorm. Next was my L1 rocket “Reduke” (Nuke Pro Max) on an I59 long burn, and a long recovery. Sharon flew her “Jimbo Jart” on a Sharon’s Sparkler II J motor that landed much closer. I flew my 3” Blackstar on an L1244 research 54mm Don Alexander slow white. Sharon was busy with student L1 cert flights when it happened. Gradually, starting with a few thousand, then millions, possibly BILLIONS of what appeared to be small particles of H2O were falling from the sky!
Here we are in the center of the “Arid Zone” with this strange anomaly occurring. What a terrible way to end a most excellent year of flying rockets....

Finished gluing the fuselage together and sanded the corners for a MIT Bogling. I also finished building the stabilizers and fin. Epoxied the wing roots together on the Estes Skydancer.

Back