What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
working on a mini john and was pleased to see the instructions offering alternative fin rendering, one being the standard leading edge rounding, which they refer to as 'sport', the other, scale, with an odd and difficult bevel. since i have 4 of these kits (thanks to walmart's somewhat dubious pricing) and my bevel game needing more work than ben simmons free throw shooting, i figured i'd put some time in the gym. if i bag a fin or two, i got plenty more.

20221005_135423.jpg

Last edited:
Also found out our print/mailing department at work has figurative tons of large mailing tubes they normally throw out. Going to see what they have tomorrow. No cost to me....hopefully there's some potential...

Checked out what they had laying around. Story was that they ordered some custom tubes for something and needed 10 of them. Turns out that was 10 cases of 15/case. Oops. Since they're custom, they can't be returned and are just going to be thrown out. I brought two boxes home and can have as many as I want. Emailed our club to see if anyone else needs any.

5" ID, 5.25 OD. 61" long. Very nice tubes. Suppose I should get into 3d printing...

Something's screaming at me to do a 5" Kraken and go for L2 with it 😄

Attachments

• IMG_20221006_153250653_HDR-01.jpeg
    IMG_20221006_153250653_HDR-01.jpeg
    461.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20221006_153333376_HDR-01.jpeg
    IMG_20221006_153333376_HDR-01.jpeg
    472.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20221006_153054184_HDR-01.jpeg
    IMG_20221006_153054184_HDR-01.jpeg
    450.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20221006_152138651_HDR-01.jpeg
    IMG_20221006_152138651_HDR-01.jpeg
    395 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20221006_152349752-02.jpeg
    IMG_20221006_152349752-02.jpeg
    459.9 KB · Views: 0
Checked out what they had laying around. Story was that they ordered some custom tubes for something and needed 10 of them. Turns out that was 10 cases of 15/case. Oops. Since they're custom, they can't be returned and are just going to be thrown out. I brought two boxes home and can have as many as I want. Emailed our club to see if anyone else needs any.

5" ID, 5.25 OD. 61" long. Very nice tubes. Suppose I should get into 3d printing...

Balloon or kickball, papier mâché, fiberglass overwrap.

Just to verify the picture on the scale, that is 1.3kg = just under 3#? At first glance, I assumed 13oz and started to salivate.

You can also cut the tubes with V's and shape to make a conical nosecone or do slightly more complex cuts and make an ogive. Cover with epoxy with micro-balloons or other thickener to fill the voids and spend way too much time with a belt sander to make it nice. At that point, at least it is hollow and using material you already own vs. buying foam. Lots of options when you get free supplies. Similar for couplers (split the tube and cut out a bit so it fits and then glue the part you cut out on the ID of the coupler. Beat to fit, paint to match.), but at 61", you might not need a bunch of couplers!

I hope you and the club make a bunch of big diameter rockets!

Sandy.

Just to verify the picture on the scale, that is 1.3kg = just under 3#? At first glance, I assumed 13oz and started to salivate.

You can also cut the tubes with V's and shape to make a conical nosecone or do slightly more complex cuts and make an ogive. Cover with epoxy with micro-balloons or other thickener to fill the voids and spend way too much time with a belt sander to make it nice. At that point, at least it is hollow and using material you already own vs. buying foam. Lots of options when you get free supplies. Similar for couplers (split the tube and cut out a bit so it fits and then glue the part you cut out on the ID of the coupler. Beat to fit, paint to match.), but at 61", you might not need a bunch of couplers!

I hope you and the club make a bunch of big diameter rockets!

Sandy.

Yup, 1.3kg.

Thanks for the ideas! Yeah, the club is responding. Going to have to get a few more boxes....

Tried to get an old can of Rustoleum clean metal primer to unclog by soaking in hot water. No dice. Into the bin it goes. Guess I'll either A) Try that Krylon stuff that claims it's primer and color (call me skeptical), or have to go out and get a new can(s). Received a package from a TRF'r with two Adept A1s and a JL Altimeter One V1. Good deal. Happy

Set all the Eggtimer Classics to preselect mode 5 for now. Main at 500'.
That's it. No glue today.... weird...

Finished my printed 24mm WAC Corporal (seen below next to the 18mm). While it is bigger, I'm not into high flights for my area so I stuffed an 18mm adapter into it and will fly it on 18mm until I get a proper range to let it loose. I may double the size again to get a C11 to send it to 350 or so.

Attachments

• 20221006_101228.jpg
    20221006_101228.jpg
    376.9 KB · Views: 0
Got the base color done and the goofs on the nose cone for my L1 Goblin repaired to an acceptable level, and decals applied. Loc was generous with the bats, but not so much with the "Goblin" or "3" so I had to fire up the cricut and make some more. Just needs clear and then the one fin painted black, but if the opportunity arises I'm good to go for L1.PXL_20221007_015305841.jpgPXL_20221007_040410571.jpg

Got the base color done and the goofs on the nose cone for my L1 Goblin repaired to an acceptable level, and decals applied. Loc was generous with the bats, but not so much with the "Goblin" or "3" so I had to fire up the cricut and make some more. Just needs clear and then the one fin painted black, but if the opportunity arises I'm good to go for L1.View attachment 540744
:goodjob:

I would guess many folks do a little rocketry work every few days. Maybe your work is not new thread worthy, but you might want to at least share with others.
If you feel like it, this can be a thread for that. On the arcade message board I visit they have a thread like that and it is nice.
I looked at the Mercury Redstone fin paint pattern instructions for a couple hours and never got it painted lol

Attachments

• 20221005_113509.jpg
    20221005_113509.jpg
    887.8 KB · Views: 0
Got the base color done and the goofs on the nose cone for my L1 Goblin repaired to an acceptable level, and decals applied. Loc was generous with the bats, but not so much with the "Goblin" or "3" so I had to fire up the cricut and make some more. Just needs clear and then the one fin painted black, but if the opportunity arises I'm good to go for L1.View attachment 540743View attachment 540744
Wow. Looks good love the color.
Great job.

I looked at the Mercury Redstone fin paint pattern instructions for a couple hours and never got it painted lol

Sometimes studying things like that and letting it cook in the back of your mind for a few days is the best way to get it right! Good luck, when you do it well, it'll be quite rewarding :)

Got the base color done and the goofs on the nose cone for my L1 Goblin repaired to an acceptable level, and decals applied. Loc was generous with the bats, but not so much with the "Goblin" or "3" so I had to fire up the cricut and make some more. Just needs clear and then the one fin painted black, but if the opportunity arises I'm good to go for L1.View attachment 540743View attachment 540744

Love the color. I'd never find that in the tall grass/vegetation at Bong. Would blend right in. But, yeah, wow!!!

Latest posts

Back