What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Launched a few with Ron.

USR Hammerhead Sounder, C11-5
1001220750[1].jpg
Madcow Mini Patriot, D12-5
1001220851[1].jpg

Loc Nano Magg, D12-5
1001220911[1].jpg
Madcow Mini Jayhawk, E12-6
1001220810[1].jpg
Loc Cool Spool, F15-0 E16-0
1001220927[1].jpg
The motors in the Jayhawk and Cool Spool had massive CATOs.
The video should be entertaining.
Should be on the Ronz Rocketz You Tube channel and the "Updates" thread here in a day or two.
Laters.

Last edited:
Launched a few with Ron.

USR Hammerhead Sounder, C11-5

Madcow Mini Patriot, D12-5

Loc Nano Magg, D12-5

Madcow Mini Jayhawk, E12-6

Loc Cool Spool, F15-0

The motors in the Jayhawk and Cool Spool had massive CATOs.
The video should be entertaining.
Should be on the Ronz Rocketz You Tube channel and the "Updates" thread here in a day or two.
Laters.

Nice Jayhawk. Pity about the CATO. :confused:

Replaced the rubber bands on the JLCR. Used new ones that have been "marinated" in talcum powder. The old ones were shot. I gave them a good yank and they broke off. More fun doing this now than spending time in the field on it.
20221002_102213.jpg
20221002_100606.jpg
Tried some different size chute configurations on the Sumo and Little John. The 48" chute was a bit tight in the Sumo. I'll try the vendor provided chute on the Sumo on it's 1st flight. I'll keep the 48" attached to the Little John. Something said to having chutes ready to go for both rockets.

Painted a LOC 4" AIM-54C Phoenix "classic grey" some of the fins had runs so I'll sand it down in a few days and repaint it. Hope to have it ready for a launch on the 15th.

Also mounted an Eggtimer Quantum in a 4" LOC Patriot. It's gonna go up at the same launch.

Unexpectedly got my L1 ticket. Left in the morning with plans to launch a high G for airframe testing, with a goal to do the cert flight at a different launch in the near future. I was talked out of that plan (rather willingly) by some really smart people at the launch. So I filed the paperwork, loaded the H, and SENT it. I can't say THANK YOU enough to:

- My friends at CRASH and in the general Colorado rocketry community. Such an amazing group of people, all willing to help but none willing to not make you learn. They didn't demand that I fly the cert today, they just made it so fun and relaxing that there was no reason not to. And yes, I'll keep working on the recovery, guys. :)

- The LOC team, for the awesome, fun-to-build, and (most importantly) resilient LOC IV rocket. It had 2 absolutely gorgeous flights today with minimal fuss in between. What a great rocket.

- All of you in this forum, for teaching me much of what I needed to learn to build the rocket, and for giving me the confidence to keep at it and achieve something cool. I can't wait to learn more as I march toward the L2.

Here's a photo - I was my own photographer so I feel pretty lucky to have gotten this. The lack of any adornment on the rocket is due to the fact that I really was there to test the airframe. I intended to name it, print up the decals, do final paint, etc. sometime in the couple of weeks after proving the airframe. Now, it will remain nameless and "unfinished" forever :) It achieved its goal, from here on it exists solely as a pleasure craft.

View attachment L1 Flight Photo.jpg

Let's see
  • Finished repairing the Flis Corona after face planting it yesterday. It is shorter, but I have add some BBs to the nose to bring it back to stable.
  • Threw away a bunch of crappy parawads and made some new chutes 12 to 17 inches from chutes gather from dozens of kits over the years.
  • Installed the AeroDactyl's sustainer motor mount with an aluminum tube to pass a starter should I ever decide to use a composite sustainer motor.
  • Installed the AeroDactyl's sustainer fins
  • Filleted the AeroDactyl's booster fins

Finished assembly on my latest 6” project. Custom design. 6”x130”. Just need to drill for shear pins and rivets and then on to body work and paint. Oh, and it had to have a preliminary RSO review by my 4 year old before he claimed it as his!

903F3D17-3659-47C6-A25D-F8A9C53D60AE.jpeg

Unexpectedly got my L1 ticket. Left in the morning with plans to launch a high G for airframe testing, with a goal to do the cert flight at a different launch in the near future. I was talked out of that plan (rather willingly) by some really smart people at the launch. So I filed the paperwork, loaded the H, and SENT it. I can't say THANK YOU enough to:

- My friends at CRASH and in the general Colorado rocketry community. Such an amazing group of people, all willing to help but none willing to not make you learn. They didn't demand that I fly the cert today, they just made it so fun and relaxing that there was no reason not to. And yes, I'll keep working on the recovery, guys. :)

- The LOC team, for the awesome, fun-to-build, and (most importantly) resilient LOC IV rocket. It had 2 absolutely gorgeous flights today with minimal fuss in between. What a great rocket.

- All of you in this forum, for teaching me much of what I needed to learn to build the rocket, and for giving me the confidence to keep at it and achieve something cool. I can't wait to learn more as I march toward the L2.

Here's a photo - I was my own photographer so I feel pretty lucky to have gotten this. The lack of any adornment on the rocket is due to the fact that I really was there to test the airframe. I intended to name it, print up the decals, do final paint, etc. sometime in the couple of weeks after proving the airframe. Now, it will remain nameless and "unfinished" forever :) It achieved its goal, from here on it exists solely as a pleasure craft.

View attachment 540219
Congratulations on your L1 nice photo

Took the Warhawk out back to spray the Rustoleum Army Green paint onto it. The can clogged, not the nozzle, the can.

But I'm not complaining. The can was bought May of 2018, left over paint from the X-Wing Alpha build.

Opened the envelope, looked at the new Tripoli level 1 card and stuck it in my phone case wallet. Threw the pin in the drawer. Second time I've done this.

Last edited:
Took the Warhawk out back to spray the Rustoleum Army Green paint onto it. The can clogged, not the nozzle, the can.

But I'm not complaining. The can was bought May of 2018, left over paint from the X-Wing Alpha build.
I've heard, you know, through the web... :p ... that you might be able to warm the can in a bath of hot water, or in the sun. Or even an oven (with supervision... Just so you know... don't try a microwave... just sayin'.

Well lets see. I have 3 eggtimer classics. Built, never used. Why? Because without terminal blocks they are 10x hard to use IMO. I don't care if NASA does not use terminal blocks. I have yet to have a failure of any altimeter from a late 90s RRC to a year old SL-100 that has EVER had a terminal block problem.

• So today I made a 3D printed sled, and removed all the wires and added terminal blocks to one of them. One other I installed the connectors ET sells, and the other one has odd spacing and will not accept anything and probably be a hanger queen. Each is a snowflake. But I want to try a two stage at some point, and need one of them to 'light it up'. So I am re-reading the docs. And will configure one of them. I am gonna use it first in a demo to see it's all working/tested.
  • I pretty much finished the build part of the DynaStar AeroDactyl TS. Fillets are done. Tomorrow some sanding and then primer... It was a quick build. Material quality was good, tolerances of the laser cut parts, not so good. Paint scheme? I am open to suggestions if you are talented at such things and I can use rattle cans.
  • Put together the last of the new parawads from my stash and tossed the old ones after saving the snap-swivels.

Started wiring the tilt axis for my Automatic Antenna Tracker seriously.

3D printed a bracket to hold a 4mm carbon fiber rod to partly support the loom. That sticks to the back of the Processor module with VHB tape.

Added a maximum-travel limit switch to the tilt axis. I should not be so lazy next time, and put it in earlier.

Wired the DB25 connector and assembled the backshell.

Connected the M8-style connector to the telemetry receiver so the Processor can get the downlink data.

Dressed the cables appropriately.
20221004_174813.jpg
Still some tidying of cables to go.

Currently trying to wrangle the cable chain and do that well, where it interfaces to the fixed base unit.

Unexpectedly got my L1 ticket. Left in the morning with plans to launch a high G for airframe testing, with a goal to do the cert flight at a different launch in the near future. I was talked out of that plan (rather willingly) by some really smart people at the launch. So I filed the paperwork, loaded the H, and SENT it.
Congratulations!

Finish fillets on the AeroDactyl TS. Cut the 1/4-20 rod for the Mojave Mortar's av bay.
Printed a BT-55, BT-60, and BT-80 tube cutting guide from Hatchbox Yellow PLA
Thats about it. Not too much today.

Also found out our print/mailing department at work has figurative tons of large mailing tubes they normally throw out. Going to see what they have tomorrow. No cost to me....hopefully there's some potential...

Back