What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had to watch a YouTube video on how to construct a hexagon so that I could make a template to cut out mylar balloons for parachutes.

If anyone in Oz is looking for Razors, Orbits or P.O.N.G.s I have some stock that hasn't been allocated. 🤠
And if no one in Oz is looking for them, you have the stock either way. You have them whether anyone is looking or not. Schrödinger was wrong.

Finishing up my scratch built MegaMosquito. Decided to paper the fins same way I did my Green Dragon. Just a light sand when the glue dries and then ready for priming.

Attachments

• PXL_20220923_164754846.jpg
    PXL_20220923_164754846.jpg
    875.5 KB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20220923_164800551.jpg
    PXL_20220923_164800551.jpg
    1,001.5 KB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20220923_170043432.jpg
    PXL_20220923_170043432.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
Maiden Plus 1 of Krusty today. I was searching around for a good plan for a Pringles rocket. Everything I saw was pretty basic or not workable as a real rocket. So... here is a Pringles can rocket. It is similar to a scaled back Big Daddy or Bertha. 74mm. D12-5. Flies great and good for small(ish) areas. Name is Krusty the Pringles Can. It's not just good, it's good enough! If you want to build one (a few hours on the printer and a desire to eat a can of Pringles): https://www.printables.com/model/281398-pringles-can-rocket

Attachments

• DSC00428 smaller.png
    DSC00428 smaller.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Realized I need to make a spreadsheet to track my motor inventory.

I mean, it's nice to be surprised checking the range box and finding new packs of E20-7s, E30-4s and E30-7s....but I gotta not remember things that way :)
Yep... been keeping one for years. I'd share mine but I think, like my rocket inventory, people would say nasty things...
:)

Lets see...

• Prepped for a launch. B impulse to I.
  • Mixed a batch of Magnalite ordered about 8 years ago. Mixed just fine. Dipped a few QJet starters that had all the go go stuff flaked off...
  • Finished putting a new finish on the Deucy 2.5, which is now Deucy 3.0. It failed to stage a C11 to a C11. The second time (two different rockets) in two months a C11-0 has done that (direct taped together staging).
  • Tried to decide what to build next. Rip Roar? AeroDactyl TS?
  • Made US Army Vinyl for the Nike-Ajax.
  • Packed 21 year old SUV for trip to North Edwards...
Guess that is about it. Gonna be 35* plus in the desert... I prepped 7... in those temps? I'll be lucky to do 4.

I went to The Kennedy Space Center. Had decent weather for a change. I was at the Cape in 1979 when the Enterprise came in on the back of a 747. Then again in 1983. Haven't been back until today. As I was driving in I went past the Blue Origin building and Space X. I walked around the Rocket Garden and then took a couple of rides that are there. Went on the Red Planet and Undiscovered Planets rides. The are almost full motion rides. It was fun. Then took a bus tour out past the VAB and saw a Crawler. The Crawler has a top speed of 1 mph. It has a road that is 8' thick. The top is Tennessee/Alabama river rock. It doesn't crush and it doesn't spark. Under the rock is limestone then compressed sand. At one of the exhibits is a Saturn 5 suspended from the ceiling. It's separated at each stage and I was standing under it. I thought it was bigger than it is. One of the pictures is of the business end. The throat is big enough that I could have crawled in. Saw a Dragon capsule. Saw Artemis from a long way off. I wonder if they will ever get it to fly. A couple of days ago they thought they had fixed the hydrogen leak. But no, it is still leaking. In the pictures I tried to get a person in the picture to show the scale. When I was at the Rocket Garden I saw a Mercury, Gemini and Apollo capsules. Man are the small. Even the crew Dragon is much smaller than I thought. I wouldn't have been able to fly in one. After the number of MRI machines I have been in I have become a little claustrophobic. The have one exhibit that is of a future habitat. It is an inflatable space station. I know who makes them. Bigelow Aerospace of Las Vegas. I know it's there, but it is kept very quite about what they do. The place looks like a high security military base. It's been there for probably 20 years. A20220923_095027[268].jpg20220923_095032[269].jpg20220923_095535[270].jpg20220923_100645[271].jpg20220923_101306[272].jpg20220923_111200[273].jpg20220923_111227[274].jpgnother exhibit was a future Mars Rover. This one will be manned. I took a lot of pictures. Here are a few.

At one of the exhibits is a Saturn 5 suspended from the ceiling. It's separated at each stage and I was standing under it. I thought it was bigger than it is.

I think you may be the 1st person I've ever encountered who stated that about the Saturn V. Most are in awe at how large it is.

Thanks for the posting the photos... brings back good memories.

Lets see...

• Prepped for a launch. B impulse to I.
  • Mixed a batch of Magnalite ordered about 8 years ago. Mixed just fine. Dipped a few QJet starters that had all the go go stuff flaked off...
  • Finished putting a new finish on the Deucy 2.5, which is now Deucy 3.0. It failed to stage a C11 to a C11. The second time (two different rockets) in two months a C11-0 has done that (direct taped together staging).
  • Tried to decide what to build next. Rip Roar? AeroDactyl TS?
  • Made US Army Vinyl for the Nike-Ajax.
  • Packed 21 year old SUV for trip to North Edwards...
Guess that is about it. Gonna be 35* plus in the desert... I prepped 7... in those temps? I'll be lucky to do 4.
Personally, I’d be very interested in an AeroDactyl build.

Deciding on what livery paint design to go with on the L2 Fusion Flex.

FF-L2.jpg

Flew some stuff today!

Forgot to grab my son's Super Big Bertha that I had assembled a F24 to go in....so we threw that in the Super Baby Bertha instead. Wow, will do that combo again!!

IMG_1222.jpg

My son's BT60 Totally Tubular (from late club member Joe K) had another nice flight on a D12-5, but found an infamous pond at Bong. Fished it out quickly and it's fine. Dried before mid-day.

IMG_1231.jpg

My son then up up an Estes Conquest, another Joe K. rocket on a D12-5, took off with the wind, but was a neat flight. Long walk, but easy recovery.

IMG_1238.jpg

And, I finally flew my Retro Thingamabob. D12-5. Delay was a bit long, -3 would have been fine. Flew really nicely!

IMG_1248.jpg

IMG_1249.jpg

Then, the upscale (4") Alien Space Probe on a H128. Perfect flight.

IMG_1257.jpg

Mega Der Red Max on a H115DM. Perfect again. What a flight!

IMG_1280.jpg

Son's Protostar (another Joe K build) on a D12-5. Landed in the parking lot, unscathed.

IMG_1285.jpg

Kraken Klone on a bad E26. burned igniter on first attempt, then it was like a light-switch on-off through the flight; wish I had video. Went horizontal and chute opened a few feet from the ground. Things are fine, except that motor.

IMG_1290.jpg

Pulled the old and multiple-times crashed D-Region Tomahawk out today. E30-7. Another good flight.

IMG_1316.jpg

Also, 2.5" Nike-X flown on A G53. Nice flight. No good pic. Good day of flying, everything came back on one piece. 612Ns burned. Also got to spend some time learning the Marco Polo on lower and easier-to-find flights.

Last edited:
It was windy so we launched a bunch of Oddrocs. All copies of well known only made for motors at least one size bigger. For instance, the Blender flew well with a C6 booster and a B6 sustainer. The snitch worked well with an E9-P. All came back with minimal drift. Innards were printed on the Snitch, the whole Blender was printed.

Attachments

• DSC00610.png
    DSC00610.png
    6.4 MB · Views: 0
  • DSC00373.png
    DSC00373.png
    6.9 MB · Views: 0
Got the dynamics on the tilt axis of my Automatic Antenna Tracker dialed-in. It now detects home position and moves nicely between defined limits. Next up is doing the opto-interrupters for the limits on the rotation axis and getting that working nicely. More 3D printing...

Last edited:
cut out some 10" mylar for parachutes. I opened up the Fat Boy rocket to discover it has a 18" chute on it, sounds too big to me. 🤔

That 18" chute would be a good idea... to help to prevent those balsa fins from breaking at ground hit.

As big as the BT is on a Fat Boy, I'd mod that rocket by adding a spool and make it a rear eject. Then it would come down nose first and a smaller chute would work just fine.

Back