What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Printed the 3rd section of my 29mm Modular Altimeter Bay Mk1, eventually I will work on shortening it to about 6" but for now I am going with the full 8" of the blue tube coupler. Eggtimer Quark with resistor on main channel, regular connection for drogue since this will only be used for Apogee deploy of a streamer. Missleworks/PerfectFlight Screw Switch will eventually get changed out for something else, most likely a pull pin (switch section is Mk2 since I had to redesign after getting screw spacing wrong) the coupler will also get a hole large enough to back the arming screw out to at least a little proud of the airframe when disarmed. The 2-56 all thread was used due to the last bay breaking on its third deployment (and being lost) where it attached to shockcord, this time the all thread will be the load bearing, and its small diameter and weighs very little, not than I am worried about the weigh as its still under optimum do gaining a bit is okay.

29mmModularBaycropped.jpg

Ordered a new dremel tool from Horrible Freight. Yesterday went to Lowes and bought a sawhorse and some misc supplies. Getting ready for my next build.

My two sons and I had 23 total launches at MDRA today over 5.5 hours or so. We were busy! The weather was beautiful and the wind was favorable, blowing rockets away from the trees and soybeans and towards the open sod.

I made my first dual deploy flight today, complete success! A Series of Tubes on a Loki J474 Cocktail. Haven't checked the altimeter data yet.

PXL_20220814_152032701.MP.jpg

Finally got paint on my NCR Bounty Hunter. I usually go with the suggested paint scheme but wanted to try something different on this one. Still have to install the recovery gear, motor retainer and possible some pinstriping to add a little color (most of the decals that come with the kit won't work over the black paint). Also started building a Dr. Zooch Falcon IX HLLVBounty Hunter 1.jpg

Finished off the shaft clamp I printed. Added M4 Helicoil inserts into the threaded holes for extra strength. This will clamp onto the 19mm shaft of my Automatic Antenna Tracker and move some equipment as the shaft rotates. I need to print more for the different receivers, and also variants for the whip antennas, Yagis, patch antenna and the AAT electronics itself.
ShaftClamp.jpg

I also have a battery housing and another bearing support to print. Some other things too. Will be busy on the CAD and printer this week. I hope they don't have too many work jobs to do on it ;) .

Now I need to order more Helicoil inserts...

Also played with an idea for a BT-55 dual 13 mm mini motor cluster stumpy one using the same fins as the Yalga booster. Sims to just over 400 feet. That blank bit of BT is a greeble band, like the Yalga.

View attachment 532508
It looks like the booster plus just enough tube to connect the coupler to the nose cone shoulder. One could buy the coupler kit, then glue a nose cone to a bit of tube and have a twofer (without paying you for the extra kit). But then if wouldn't be a cluster.

It's cot me thinking though; I have a couple of little boosters around from lost sustainers. Hmm.

Finished off the shaft clamp I printed. Added M4 Helicoil inserts into the threaded holes for extra strength. This will clamp onto the 19mm shaft of my Automatic Antenna Tracker and move some equipment as the shaft rotates. I need to print more for the different receivers, and also variants for the whip antennas, Yagis, patch antenna and the AAT electronics itself.
View attachment 532515

I also have a battery housing and another bearing support to print. Some other things too. Will be busy on the CAD and printer this week. I hope they don't have too many work jobs to do on it ;) .

Now I need to order more Helicoil inserts...

Out of curiosity: Are those actual "Helicoil" type inserts or do you use the term in a more generalized way? If yes, how are your experiences with them in FDM 3d prints and have you compared them to inserts for thermoplastics?

Reinhard

Last edited:
Finished the gap staging tube and then flight prepped the Luke and Vader Dogfight rocket.

With any luck we'll get the good soaking rains they have forecasted, and we can burn some black powder later this week.

This rocket swing tested stable with the stability shield in place :headspinning:.... but my mindsim says :dontknow:.

009.JPG010.JPG011.JPG

It looks like the booster plus just enough tube to connect the coupler to the nose cone shoulder. One could buy the coupler kit, then glue a nose cone to a bit of tube and have a twofer (without paying you for the extra kit). But then if wouldn't be a cluster.

It's cot me thinking though; I have a couple of little boosters around from lost sustainers. Hmm.

Correct.

The tube above the coupler is only 2.5 cm long. Painted the same colour as the NC it looks like it's all nose above the greeble band.

The idea came from a scrap of tube put on the booster to help aligning the greebles. Threw the NC on it for laughs and voila, a new rocket.

D4600119-C09B-4FC9-B614-0262FF73ACF1.jpeg

Out of curiosity: Are those actual "Helicoil" type inserts or do you use the term in a more generalized way? If yes, how are your experiences with them in FDM 3d prints and have you compared them to inserts for thermoplastics?

Reinhard
They are some other brand other than Helicoil, but you get the idea. I have used them successfully for about seven years, where needed in ABS prints. This is the first time I have tried them in PLA. These are not the final prints anyway, as those will be in ABS.

Worked a bit more on Vanishing Act's altimeter bay. The 2S 180mah Lipo battery and switch are located under the nose cone, the first section inside the coupler will be a wiring bay for the the longer wires of either 1" or 2" in length (printing new ones right now, the previous battery section filling in for now), then the altimeter and probably a short wiring bay and bulkhead. The nose cone battery box has a tapered cap to match the nose cone roughly, and the nose cone gets taped on after arming. This version should be considerably shorter than the previous version at least as far as the coupler length. All parts are Overture PETG.

VanishingAct 29mm AltimeterBay.jpgVanishingAct 29mm AltimeterBayApart.jpg

just glued one of the booster nose cones back together on the Delta II, the super old rocket I got free. I might just toss it as much work as it's going to take. I kinda wanna fix it since I use to work for McDonnell Douglas, there's no fins and the guy said that I would need to make some clear ones.

A bit of CAD work for parts for my Automatic Antenna Tracker. Mainly brackets for mounting stuff to the moveable boom.

3D printer was blocked :( . Need to get into work early tomorrow to clear the blockage and recalibrate the bed level.

just glued one of the booster nose cones back together on the Delta II, the super old rocket I got free. I might just toss it as much work as it's going to take. I kinda wanna fix it since I use to work for McDonnell Douglas, there's no fins and the guy said that I would need to make some clear ones.
I use Lexan for clear fins. It is not very expensive. I get it at Home Depot.

Back