What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just recently downloaded Open Rocket but have had zero success using it. I selected a body tube then selected a nose cone and it put the nose cone on the back/rh side. And everything I wanted to add always ended up on the right hand side of the airframe, So it looks like I've got to read the tutorials or find a YouTube video on how to operate the thing. I've got a long way before I ever get to putting the proper size fins on an air frame, Running a Sim is a long way off as well.
Yeah, if you're a beginning rocketeer, imo you don't need to use the sims yet if you're building according to directions and don't do anything crazy (again assuming you're not building HP).

Some here are under the camp of "always sim" and bring up the question of safety, but rocketry has been around for decades before sims and I feel it's better to devote your initial time and energy into learning good building, safety and launching skills (that's how I learned) unless you enjoy learning new programs and can do so quickly (my work for decades was actually programming, but I don't want my hobby to remind me of work).

One of my early years I think I did over 200 launches and only lost one rocket...I think a record even those sim-heavy rocketeers would find hard to match. The reason I say it's more important for HP is that the stakes are much higher with High Power/big builds/big motors and so a mishap can have much greater consequences than a pranged rocket or a 3.6' carboard rocket that's under a pound and going at slow speed.

Plus sims don't guarantee a safe flight...because you can enter in something wrong. If you're beginning and trying to learn a sim program while also trying to model an Indigo...good luck! LOL

Put together an Estes Spirit for the upcoming 4th of July holiday and built a couple stands with junk I had lying around for my parachute duration model, 'Chute the Moon', and Estes Prowler.

Then I managed to do some work amongst all that mess on the table, but can't remember what it was. If someone can tell me what I am working on I would appreciate it. I keep getting distracted by all the rocket parts. 😆

Attachments

• IMG_20220628_141354482.jpg
    IMG_20220628_141354482.jpg
    183.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20220628_141215190.jpg
    IMG_20220628_141215190.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 0
Not today, but last night, I assembled the main fins and motor mount tube for my Semroc Gyroc. I like this kit better than the Estes Tazz I assembled over the weekend. Love to have an original-sized Gyroc. Upscale might be a bit of an issue, though. I seem to remember a GAMMA launch where one ended up piercing the roof of a house under construction. (Not my rocket, but I was the LCO and pushed the button...)

I just recently downloaded Open Rocket but have had zero success using it. I selected a body tube then selected a nose cone and it put the nose cone on the back/rh side. And everything I wanted to add always ended up on the right hand side of the airframe, So it looks like I've got to read the tutorials or find a YouTube video on how to operate the thing. I've got a long way before I ever get to putting the proper size fins on an air frame, Running a Sim is a long way off as well.

Tip: Start by opening one of the example rockets and then saving it as a new file. Then modify that file.

By navigating around and seeing how the example is built, you'll learn how to use the software.

If you have questions, just ask. You'll love it once you get the "swing" of it. :headspinning:

Example Rockets.jpg

I got all the parts laid out for the next build. I cut the fins out and sanded them after midnight so it was done today. This time of year everyone turns into a vampire. They don't go outside when the sun is up. I just got back from picking up my wife from the hair dresser. The car said it was 108F. My garage doors face west. I just took their temperature with a laser thermometer. 154F, stucco 136F. My nice air conditioned garage is 77F inside. July is hotter. Anyone want to visit?

I didn't do much. I took sandpaper to the Magnum where the external fillets will be and roughed up the body a little for the epoxy.

Spire 1.jpg

Printed this yesterday after doing some upgrades to my printer. New silent mother board, thermister, heater and all metal hot end. This was the last thing on the card so I used it as a test print Pretty happy with the result.

Last night I attached the fins on my Flying Pumpkin:
PXL_20220629_131458703.jpg

Worked on a zipper repair:
PXL_20220629_131511607.MP.jpg

And rebalanced the weighted nose cone that contributed to that zipper by moving the weight back just above the coupler instead of right behind the tip (it's on a threaded rod). CG of the whole rocket should still be fine because it's gotten longer since I weighted the nose cone, but I'll double check the sim today.

Oh, and did my first harness sewing following Jon Coker's and Sailrite's videos.

Last edited:
I finished up my restoration of my Arcie 1. I have all my electronics up in the nose and it still took a 1/4oz. sinker for ballast up there.

Laid out and assembled the recovery packages for my first DD rocket, a 4" tube fin with Mac Performance canvas. Looking forward to ground testing.

Buttoned up the bottom of my Flying Pumpkin and did all 6 fillets with West System G-Flex 655 dyed black. Not my greatest fillets, but they're pretty good for doing all 6 in one night! (Usually I only manage 2 at a time with rocketpoxy.)

Just have to figure out how much nose weight I need (a lot) and put that nose cone together, and then put the recovery together. Looking forward to flying this at MDRA in August.

PXL_20220630_043348069.jpg
PXL_20220630_043331166.jpg

5-6 hours of rocket work in two weeknights is probably my record. Time to take a break for a couple days and prioritize some sleep.

I printed a fin marking template from PayloadBay and made my marks. Used an aluminum angle to extend them. Last night I got all the parts together. Or so I thought. After marking the tube I was ready to cut the slots. I walked to my desk to put down my cigar. Looked at the rocket. Oops. No motor mount. How do you forget the motor mount. So I made one and installed it. Silly Goose. Fins tomorrow.

Finished a new launch controller. It's a dual-battery design, one at the pad and one at the "people" end. The local box turns on the relay at the pad box. Safety interlock is disconnecting the launch button (1/4" phone plug). The pad box has a continuity checker. By building it this way, and by using proper plug/socket, the pad can be located at any distance - hookup is by common extension cords (2 or 3 prong). It just does one pad, but as long as there's enough current getting to the pad relay, you can put it a long way away.

Back