What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Drove 12 hours there and back from Melbourne to Northern New South Wales to attend their high power rocketry launch weekend! That was a damn long way to drive, but soooo worth it!
Been there, done that plenty of times. Once to a launch just south of Tamworth.

You remember those launches :)

TP

Had a beautiful day to launch rockets with the grandkids and friends…had one bad flight with an Estes Sasha on D12-D12…ended up losing my JLCR when the bottom of the nose cone blew out…
Had my scratch built 2xD12 rear ejections maiden flight land in a tree, but got it back with a little work…

View attachment 519560the gizmo is rebuilt and getting clear coated after it's lawn dart escapade. Thought people might be interested in the paint stand too. Old cat litter tub with hole cut in the lid, mine is full of brass from reloading hobby but gravel or just kitty litter should also work. Shaft from dollar store broom with a few holes drilled crossways to slide a bolt in for rocket support.
...creative !😉

Not much to see just yet, it's mostly parts. And as the Wendy's commercial went, "Parts is parts."

It's an old BMS clone of the Cobra. Had to do a bit of sanding on the shoulder of the nose cone and the upper shoulder of the balsa adapter, both were pretty tight on the payload tube. It'll get a nice long Kevlar shock cord, glued into a hole in one fin as the instructions suggest. Those long fins would just be aching to break on landing if a standard shock cord mount was used.

AstronCobra01.jpg

I flew one rocket at the Bong State Park in WI today. It's a 10+ year old Binder Design Sentinel. It's 84" in length, 4" diameter and weighes 7.4 lbs loaded with an Aerotech I280DM DMS motors. It flew to 2267' and recovered easily with dual deploy.

Attachments

• IMG_20220522_183248162.jpg
    IMG_20220522_183248162.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 0
I ordered Flite Test Mighty Mini Arrow and Versa Wing for RCRG conversion like postmodern Klingbergs. I renewed my NAR membership. I'm trying to register for NARAM but their site keeps telling me that my valid credit card number isn't.

Renewed my CAR/ACF membership,
Checked out my first attempt at using the Estes Universal Video...went well...
Estes Savage on a D12-0/C6-7 combo, but I have no idea how to post it here...it keeps telling me that the file is too big, or doesn't have the right configuration...sighhhhh...technology and age don't always coexist peacefully...

Prepped and packed for NSL, some rockets might not make the cut, depending on space in the car. Heading out early-ish morning to get to Myrtle Beach, small detour on the way to Dalzell. Also got paint on the Semper Fi, still needs some red stripes to complete the dress blues, paint and masking tape are packed. It should finally fly on Memorial Day in honor of my father-in-law who passed a few years back...
IMG_4071.jpgIMG_4073.jpg

Aligned nosecones. Epoxied couplers. Sanded fillets. Built an avbay. Charged batteries. Tested/configured avionics. Tested launch tower fit. More GPS testing. Decided on chute protectors. Measured weight & CG. Played with tungsten. Added ballast. Designed (again) & made (again) nosecone ejection harness retainers. Stared at the weather forecast. Hunted for a reasonable travel trailer to rent (and failed).

146622BD-BE9F-45E7-A7E6-2EB37233393F.jpeg

EDIT: Epoxied a nosecone harness retainer. Waiting on epoxy to dry, so Zzzzzz…

B768BFD2-4ACA-45F2-B72B-DF44725F329E.jpeg

Last edited:
Renewed my CAR/ACF membership,
Checked out my first attempt at using the Estes Universal Video...went well...
Estes Savage on a D12-0/C6-7 combo, but I have no idea how to post it here...it keeps telling me that the file is too big, or doesn't have the right configuration...sighhhhh...technology and age don't always coexist peacefully...
Upload it to YouTube or the cloud storage service of your choice, then post a link to it here. If you opt for cloud storage, make sure the file is marked as public (read only).

Saw one of my rockets in a tree while I was digging trenches. :rolleyes:
I don't know whether to 🤣 or :(. Did you get it down? Will you get it down?

It's been a while but I was finally able to get out and fly again. Took 16 rockets up to Bong yesterday and flew 18 flights. Had a lot of first flights including a Gemini DC that I build back when it was new and never flew as I completely forgot about it. I'll post that story up in the photos section. Over all it was a great day.

Here was yesterdays line up.

Attachments

• GROUP SHOT 1 05232022.jpg
    GROUP SHOT 1 05232022.jpg
    564.1 KB · Views: 1
Yesterday I glued the three MMTs into the body tube of the Astron Cobra, then filled the gaps between the tubes with epoxy mixed with lightweight fairing compound. Last night I glued the fins in place. This morning I applied fillets.

Still need to assemble the chute, add railbuttons, then prime and sand and prime and sand, ad nauseum. Thinking about a paint scheme. Any suggestions?

The (old school) instructions say to drill a hole at the root of one fin, glue a length of shroud line into that hole, attach that to the elastic shock cord and recovery system. Of course I'll throw away the elastic and use a long thin Kevlar line.

Question: what do you think about an alternative attachment: Tie a small loop in the Kevlar, slip the screw of the lower railbutton into that loop, and screw the railbutton into the hardened epoxy/fairing compound near the aft end (with a drop of epoxy on the screw). That ought to be a rather stronger attachment point than a hole in the fin, and I think it will look a little neater.

I don't think there would be problems, i.e., cord fouling the railbuttons. At launch the cord lies flat against the body tube. Suggestions? Questions? Physical threats? ;)

Best,
Terry

AstronCobra02.jpg

Latest posts

Back