What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Received a rocket I have been looking for for several years today, just minutes before my uber arrived to take me to the airport for my next 20 day work rotation...
IMG_7594.JPG
Finally scored the the kit that was my first rocket when I was 10 years old in the fall of 1993, and lost a few months later after only a few flights. Ive been watching eBay off an on for one of these kits for about 4-5 years now... Looking forward to building it stock, flying it once or twice, then retiring it to a place of honor in my model cabinet in my home office

Work continues on the Super Mars Snooper. Primed both body tubes and upper fins. Painted the lower fins. Obviously I am not using the face card paint scheme. I am not fond of blue rockets. The upper fins will be black.
Another rocket that I deviated from the suggested paint scheme is the Astron Explorer. I think mine looks better. To each their own. After much trepidation and fear that the ejection charge would find a weakness in the tube interfaces, I finally laughed the Explorer this past Saturday at our monthly launch. It was a beautiful flight on a beautiful day. It soared to a great altitude, not the 1000' it says on the face card, but still impressive. After ejection, Under my homemade black and orange parachute, it just hung up there in the light breezes. It was a sight to behold.
20220119_164732.jpg 20220119_164801.jpg

Finished the Thor 38 yesterday 29mm to fly on G motors. Has an altimeter bay built-in and 18" recovery system. I added an anti-zippering device over the kevlar shock cord and some attachment rivets on the nose cone.

A fun and relaxing build looking forward to flying it soon.

SBR-Thor-38.jpg

Thor-38-Panoramic.jpg

Finished the Thor 38 yesterday 29mm to fly on G motors. Has an altimeter bay built-in and 18" recovery system. I added an anti-zippering device over the kevlar shock cord and some attachment rivets on the nose cone.

A fun and relaxing build looking forward to flying it soon.

SBR-Thor-38.jpg

Thor-38-Panoramic.jpg
I seem to have lost the booklet that came with mine but where does the sled thing go in the rocket? It's like a single bulkhead with too many slots and a sled. I bought a kit after my scratch built got destroyed after a few years. Built it before he came out with the kit version. I wouldn't fly it on a G motor unless you have tracking. I got my previous version up to like 1500ft on an F42 and that was without a tracker or dual deploy so a G will make it vanish.

Building North Coast Rocketry - SA-14 Archer... I cleaned up the flash off the nose cone and filled with Tamiya putty - its smmmmoooth now. I don't usually fill the body tube spirals but these tubes had several air blisters so fixed those too while I was at it.
Since the motor mount had 3 centering rings I left the bottom one off so I could add epoxy to the TTW fins for reinforcement.
But being a butt-head I forgot to attach the wire lead for the shock cord before epoxying in the motor mount. I figured out a brute fix though by cutting open the tube and stringing 750# kevlar shock cord in its place. Then I re-glued the tube piece I cut out and applied 3 coats of wood filler to make it smooth.
Mistake #2 was that I found out that when I glued in the middle centering ring that I put it on the wrong side of my pencil mark so I had to trim the tabs on the fins for them to fit.
Mistake #3 was when I applied the first coat of CWF to the upper balsa strake fins I clamped the fins together to keep them straight. I applied too much pressure and crushed one fin and created an indentation which I later repaired with thick CWF. I still have some sanding to do on the 2nd coat of CWF before attaching and then filleting (small).
Little mistakes but all correctable. She's going to be a beaut when I'm finished with her. Maybe even as nice as Tim's?
SA-14_Archer_Size_sm.jpg

Last edited:
I seem to have lost the booklet that came with mine but where does the sled thing go in the rocket? It's like a single bulkhead with too many slots and a sled. I bought a kit after my scratch built got destroyed after a few years. Built it before he came out with the kit version. I wouldn't fly it on a G motor unless you have tracking. I got my previous version up to like 1500ft on an F42 and that was without a tracker or dual deploy so a G will make it vanish.

The bay attaches to the nose cone and fits perfectly in the upper payload section. A G motor will be pretty stout for sure without a tracker with this rocket. The real vanishing act is going to be another Binder build I'm starting soon....3" LDRS40 Fusion dual deploy 54mm K185 capable of 10k. 😲

Attachments

• Fusion-3-LDRS.jpg
    Fusion-3-LDRS.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 12
After taking a road trip and being back for a week or so, I started working on my Estes Crossbow SST. Pretty quick build but with the small fins, it's hard to use any jigs on them. So, I just made due. I am putting another layer of fillets on the fins then finishing up with launch lug, shock cord mount, and the small dowel "space probes" on the wing tips. Then it will sit until it warms up again for paint.

Just ordered a gallon of West Systems epoxy, 105/206. My existing stock is well past its use-by date and almost empty anyway.

Planning on actually building some rockets on the weekend. At least moving some further along in their builds.

I might even put in a decent order to AC Supply for some smaller Estes rockets that I have been meaning to do for some time. It is so worth doing as even LPR rockets here are astronomically priced.

My son and I absolutely had to launch some rockets! Right in front of out home, in the neighborhood. So our max impulse was an A8-3. The Quest PayLoader One almost got lost. 198 feet and a solid parachute deployment at apogee, it somehow sailed through the trees and got hung up on a branch 2 houses away right at eye level. A badminton birdie, a Nitro and a Starstreak all went up on 13mm motors.
7BF3B683-C59A-4C54-832C-0BE5356DDE8E.jpeg162E0E7B-080B-45DB-83DA-59E6503E3A5A.jpeg66749A02-D3B8-4B72-9CA8-D01FD5541EA0.jpeg3C18D06A-F3F4-4AB7-A975-D753893A4183.jpeg2C9597D2-C1CC-44E9-8D40-721B5C7E820B.jpegC517EC38-E66F-4427-8860-927E55512A07.jpeg

Still working at MIL’s. No balsa, no BTS, no centering rings…

Not to be discouraged, I attacked the cupboards and found cardboard and a cling wrap core.

Who needs balsa? “We don’t need no steenkin’ balsa!”

Anyhoo… played with some shapes and it’s pretty strong. I’ll play with the idea more when I get back to the farm with real BTa motor mount and a nose cone.

Followed by a swing test or three.

F975217C-46A7-408F-9B29-96198C32CC63.jpeg
7C3B5927-F788-451D-A691-5E209FB18C20.jpeg
CD6F219B-0451-4892-8D74-53E6C6F6756C.jpeg

Back