What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That jives with what I have from Rocksim, which is 30 mph. 13m/sec computes to 29 mph. My Arreaux is one ounce heavier than yours and an E12 gets it to 21.94 mph off the rod/rail.

The best part of this hobby is design and results. It is always interesting to see how it all works out. I agree that 21 mph is too slow.

sat thru 5 (of 6) Student team presentations for Launch Canada!! Some/ most of these will also complete in teh Spaceport cup. And some were to be at FAR this week-end. (But Covid made sure they stayed for the impending snow storm!)

Some pretty neat stuff!! :D

Made it to Argonia Sunday morning. It was a very interesting drive up (and back!). The day started cold and cloudy. We ran into patchy fog on I-35 almost all the way to Kansas. It had gotten cold enough, long enough overnight that the fog had frozen in the tops of trees and grass making them look like they were budding. By the time we got there, thge skies had cleared and it was a great day to launch! I think there were more people from Oklahoma than Kansas that showed up. I launched my Design #2 on an F. Almost perfect flight (maybe a touch too long delay). The SWOSU guys got several launches in, as did my traveling buddy, John.

argonia.jpg

[edit]

I forgot to add, on the way back, heading down the two lane roads to the interstate, we saw about a dozen or more hawks and other raptors (maybe an eagle). They were up in trees and on wires between poles. We see a lot of wildlife on our trips to launches, but never this many big birds of prey! On the highway from the interstate to the airport in Sayre, there was a dead deer that we watched decompose over a year's worth of trips.

Last edited:
View attachment 499941

I think the internet came around in 92 or so. The copyright date in the motor is 1989...

No, the (public side not military) Internet started in 1979, Usenet in 1980, and private networks like FidoNet started in the early '80s. Online services like CompuServe and Delphi began about the same time. That was me back in the mid '80s. What most people think is the "Internet" is only the world wide web portion which was devised in '89 and popularized with the early browsers Mosaic and Netscape in '93. The Web has since consumed most of the interest in the Internet.

The end of this motor doesn't have the typical delay style cap, other wise yes I would drill 2 seconds out.View attachment 499919

Under the paper cap (and black powder) is an epoxy cap with a small brass tube. You can still drill the delay through the small tube. As old as this motor is, I hope it lights off without chuffing. I've got motors 5 and 10 years old that I worry about. I've got a G55 that I don't think I'll ever fly - the last one chuffed and finally took off, only to chuff again about 30 feet up. The rocket layed over then re-lit, going cruise missile - fortunately AWAY from everything.

Finished the build on 4 rockets today, the first rockets I have built in 3 years… the day before I leave on my next 20 day work trip. Paint will have to wait until later in the spring when it warms up.

A892282D-23FD-4916-9BE1-FFBF51F55935.jpeg
From left to right, I have my LOC Park Flyer Sandhawk, Estes Doorknob with Vanderburn upgrades, Estes Hyper Bat, and finally the Aerotech Astrobee D. The Astrobee has been sitting in the box under my work bench for nearly 4 years, started, but never completed… finally got it finished!

Finished the build on 4 rockets today, the first rockets I have built in 3 years… the day before I leave on my next 20 day work trip. Paint will have to wait until later in the spring when it warms up.

View attachment 500342
From left to right, I have my LOC Park Flyer Sandhawk, Estes Doorknob with Vanderburn upgrades, Estes Hyper Bat, and finally the Aerotech Astrobee D. The Astrobee has been sitting in the box under my work bench for nearly 4 years, started, but never completed… finally got it finished!

"I like your style, Dude." (spoken in the voice of Sam Elliot as 'The Stranger' in The Big Lebowski, as it must be).

Sandy.

Found my old Tripoli Member Certification Form. The Level 1 and Level 2 pages were used.

Notice the verbiage relating to Experimental Rocketry/Research. It was still very controversial at times, some folks refused to admit it was something we could even do. Research or "EX" launches had to be held on a separate day, and it seems like only those flying EX motors could be present.

TRA 4907 cover.png

TRA 4907 form 3-ed.png

TRA 4907 member copy-ed.png

Today was another good weather day. I put 3 coats of paint on the short 4" I've been working on. All the prep paid off. I have a nice shiny rocket with no noticeable spirals. I'll let it set for a few days and then do the detail painting. The two MD's I first did have had the rough spots sanded again and tomorrow will get painted again. The rocket I disassembled the other day has been reassembled as a dual deploy. I'll do the detail work when I need something to do. I went to Home Depot today for paint and small screws. I looked for the egg crate louvers for grid fins. They are only available on line. The employee I was talking to said to look in lighting. As I walked over there I saw a rack of 10' long clear plastic tubes. I instantly thought rockets. They are about 2 1/2" in diameter. The plastic is flexible. Would need stiffened. They would make great night flyers. I'll get one the next time I'm there and see what I can come up with.

Diversion from other projects build is ready for paint. BT60 BBX. Made from stuff laying around. Tried to keep it light and the goal is nice cheaper 24mm flights. Sims well on a lot of motors. C11 to 240' to F35 that gets 2028' Fins are 1/64" ply over 3/32" balsa. Has buttons and lugs. Right now it's 161g (5.7 oz).

Attachments

• IMG_20220118_070122334~2.jpg
    IMG_20220118_070122334~2.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 19
Big Bertha build. Applied another light coat of sandable primer. Have taken some time off of this build. Bad weather and pinewood Derby cars.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220118-073924-856.png
    Screenshot_20220118-073924-856.png
    540.3 KB · Views: 9
Ah..ok :) I use that on the fins. Primer on the body tube.
A lot of folks use CWF, slightly thinned with water, to fill tube spirals. Apply to the spirals (some peopled do the whole tube) then sand off. After that, sandable filler-primer. The CWF leaves a lot less for the primer to fill, I'm told, so one apply-sand cycle with CWF can save more than one later.

A lot of folks use CWF, slightly thinned with water, to fill tube spirals. Apply to the spirals (some peopled do the whole tube) then sand off. After that, sandable filler-primer. The CWF leaves a lot less for the primer to fill, I'm told, so one apply-sand cycle with CWF can save more than one later.

Exactly. I use a thinned down CWF to fill the spirals. One pass with 220 grit to take it off and another fast pass with 400 grit wrapped around the body tube to give it a final smoothing and it's ready. Sandable filler-primer is great for catching any minor imperfections after that and laying the base for proper final coat adherence.
IMG_2740.JPGIMG_2741.JPGIMG_2761.JPG

Back