What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks great! Got your motor picked out?

Motor....hmm. Well I have a lot of options. My goal is 800-900 Feet simmed. It will probably be an E something with around 6 seconds of delay. I will run a few options before flying though.

Got more done today that I expected. Hosed the white onto the Saturn V. Shaped fin edges and attached to the 1.6" diameter BBX, and loaded up a bunch of LP birds for tomorrow.

Attachments

• IMG_20220115_140424414_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220115_140424414_HDR.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20220115_140434288.jpg
    IMG_20220115_140434288.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20220115_190643388.jpg
    IMG_20220115_190643388.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_20220115_190617563_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220115_190617563_HDR.jpg
    162.1 KB · Views: 16
Looks great! Got your motor picked out?
I'd be interested in a flight report if you have time!

Weighed, cg measured, simmed and files printed. I don't want it to fly very high so the first flight will be on an estes e12-4 to about 350', second flight may be on an e30-10. I say may as I do not have any information on the e30. The delay is not adjustable and I would rather be at about seven seconds. On the e30 it sims to about 1000'

I will check here in the am before using this motor.IMG-20220115-WA0012.jpeg

Mailed out another group of free stuff from Doug Frost's estate. I'd say the volume of nosecones is still about 60%, but a lot of the other building supplies have gone down a good bit. There's still a lot available, so if you want some free (+ shipping) LPR parts, check the yardsale for my username and the filter 'free'.

Also realized that the nichrome length poll expired, but i haven't started spooling that off. Tomorrow's weather in Charlotte is supposed to be icy, so I imagine I'll get some time in the garage to take care of that and post it up for free sooner than later!

Sandy.

Weighed, cg measured, simmed and files printed. I don't want it to fly very high so the first flight will be on an estes e12-4 to about 350', second flight may be on an e30-10. I say may as I do not have any information on the e30. The delay is not adjustable and I would rather be at about seven seconds. On the e30 it sims to about 1000'

I will check here in the am before using this motor.

My Arreaux has some little changes, so I don't have a stock weight to use in sims. But, estimating 15 oz dry weight:
I'm getting a bit over 300 feet on E12, with 25mph off a 6 foot rail. That's slow for my taste, but if it's not windy...
The old Aerotech E30's are full E impulse, my OR shows about 775 ft and 45mph off a 6' rod.

I've almost always flown these on G-motors (64W/G80T/G77...) and had long recovery walks, so being apprehensive about the low-thrusting E could be more of a gut reaction than it needs to be.
What are your concerns about the E30?

I went to the Amtrak site as I have never ridden on a train before and it would cost $713 to go from Charlotte to LA ( 2 people, and the senior rate) , round trip. they list sleeping rooms but they want an extra $1600 for the 3 day trip. :eek:
It used to be a heck of a lot cheaper, but covid has really messed up all kinds of stuff. Amtrak has really cut their service almost everywhere they go.

I will check here in the am before using this motor.View attachment 499904
Is your E30 motor an older motor? I’ve never seen that one with a 10 second delay. I have just used a E30-4 or E30-7

The delay is not adjustable and I would rather be at about seven seconds.

Why not? Remove the ejection well cap, pour out the powder (into a safe container), drill the delay, put powder and cap back in place. It's no different from a DMS single use (except that you need an 1/8th drill bit). You can shorten the delay, within reason, but there's no way to make it longer.

My Arreaux has some little changes, so I don't have a stock weight to use in sims. But, estimating 15 oz dry weight:
I'm getting a bit over 300 feet on E12, with 25mph off a 6 foot rail. That's slow for my taste, but if it's not windy...
The old Aerotech E30's are full E impulse, my OR shows about 775 ft and 45mph off a 6' rod.

I've almost always flown these on G-motors (64W/G80T/G77...) and had long recovery walks, so being apprehensive about the low-thrusting E could be more of a gut reaction than it needs to be.
What are your concerns about the E30?

Is your E30 motor an older motor? I’ve never seen that one with a 10 second delay. I have just used a E30-4 or E30-7

I posted the picture of the e30 as it doesn't come up in my sim software and a quick search on NAR shows a 4 and 7 which led me to believe this motor is pre internet and a 10 second delay, which may be too long.

Why not? Remove the ejection well cap, pour out the powder (into a safe container), drill the delay, put powder and cap back in place. It's no different from a DMS single use (except that you need an 1/8th drill bit). You can shorten the delay, within reason, but there's no way to make it longer.

The end of this motor doesn't have the typical delay style cap, other wise yes I would drill 2 seconds out.20220116_055514.jpg

You can do that? Huh. That opens up some possibilities.

I posted the picture of the e30 as it doesn't come up in my sim software and a quick search on NAR shows a 4 and 7 which led me to believe this motor is pre internet and a 10 second delay, which may be too long.

Maybe pre-2000, but not pre-internet. You can drill the delay, and I think it's still the same rule of thumb with an 1/8" drill bit. A lot of folks talked about it back then but never did it myself- just took took the chance with long delays.

20220116_063555.jpg
Maybe pre-2000, but not pre-internet. You can drill the delay, and I think it's still the same rule of thumb with an 1/8" drill bit. A lot of folks talked about it back then but never did it myself. I usually used long delays and took the chance.

I think the internet came around in 92 or so. The copyright date in the motor is 1989...

View attachment 499941

I think the internet came around in 92 or so. The copyright date in the motor is 1989...
The internet was around in 1992, however it was still a number of years before we got what we have now (not sure exactly when but iirc modems and bulletin boards were still the thing in 95. In 1993 or so while on leave (US Army) a friend and I went to an associate of his office and they had an early internet access, it was all command line driven. My memory of those days are getting fuzzy as it was almost 30 years ago.

Got more done today that I expected. Hosed the white onto the Saturn V. Shaped fin edges and attached to the 1.6" diameter BBX, and loaded up a bunch of LP birds for tomorrow.

Is that a Kraken I spy on the right hand side of the LPR picture? If so a drag race might just have to be contemplated at a future club launch :bravo:
IMG_2775.JPG

Is that a Kraken I spy on the right hand side of the LPR picture? If so a drag race might just have to be contemplated at a future club launch :bravo:
View attachment 499978

It is; a clone. Flew it for the first time today on a C11-3 to make sure it worked. Textbook perfect flight. I'm up for a drag race!

Attachments

• 20211021065842_IMG_8143.JPG
    20211021065842_IMG_8143.JPG
    48.6 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_8725.jpg
    IMG_8725.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Tacked the Super Big Bertha fins to the MMT with Gorilla Super Glue gel, and applied four of the MMT-to-fin internal fillets. Should be able to do two more before bedtime, and the last two in the morning. Hoping to fly it Saturday if the weather cooperates. Taking a leaf from Chuck Bullet, I'll fly it naked. If I get it back it will have earned its paint. ;)

VideoCapture_20220116-120446.jpgVideoCapture_20220116-120502.jpgVideoCapture_20220116-120519.jpgVideoCapture_20220116-120534.jpg
I'd be interested in a flight report if you have time!

Flight report:

Flown on E12-4 twice.
JL2 for data. On board video lost on second flight. New camera ordered thanks for the sale Estes. It is on a 6' 1/4" rod. When I get more buttons they will be installed.

Data was corrupt on the first flight. Second flight data as follows:
Apogee 124m
Peak acceleration 6.2g
Max V 36 m/s
Total flight time 15.9s

This flight had a very hot ejection charge that separated the rocket with substantial force causing the nose cone to pop from the payload bay with the altimeter attached hence the short overall flight. Prior flight was 28.2 seconds.
The hot ejection spat the motor and adapter as well as dislodged the on board camera. The snow was soft at the field and the motor and camera were not found, a grid search was performed.

Overall a great success and a great rocket to build over breakfast!

Edit:

I will use the atlusmetrum next as the data format may be easier for record keeping

Last edited:

I will check here in the am before using this motor.View attachment 499904

Glad it worked out for you, Rocksim showed an E12 would be unsafe due to speed off the rail or rod and severe weathercocking.

LOL, that E30-10 is definitely an old motor; note the copperhead igniter.

Last edited:
Finished up Twin Factor, it's heading for the paint pile now, to be painted when spring rolls around and it's warm enough outside for spraying. I picked out another simple one from the build pile. This one is a replacement for the Supernova I lost at the Higgs Farm last year.

20220116_185058.jpg

Glad it worked out for you, Rocksim showed an E12 would be unsafe due to speed off the rail or rod and severe weathercocking.

The finished weight of this build with recovery gear sans motor is 340 grams. The slowest rail speed I accept is 13m/s in ideal conditions.

Edit: video below
Aerotech Arreaux

Last edited:
The finished weight of this build with recovery gear sans motor is 340 grams. The slowest rail speed I accept is 13m/s in ideal conditions.

That jives with what I have from Rocksim, which is 30 mph. 13m/sec computes to 29 mph. My Arreaux is one ounce heavier than yours and an E12 gets it to 21.94 mph off the rod/rail.

Back