What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got tree’d this past week. Still trying to figure out how to get it down as the closest part to the ground is like 40 ft upView attachment 493181
Unless you know a professional tree climber, I'd ask for permission to cut the tree down. You might gte some additional damage, but it looks like that bunch of limbs below it would cushion the landing - but then they'd collapse and tree would continue coming down on them, which could injure the rocket a bit more.

Unless you know a professional tree climber, I'd ask for permission to cut the tree down. You might gte some additional damage, but it looks like that bunch of limbs below it would cushion the landing - but then they'd collapse and tree would continue coming down on them, which could injure the rocket a bit more.
I’ve been trying to contact the landowner about cutting it down, but haven’t heard back yet.

Also looking into a cherry picker too😂 Nice that’s it’s literally right next to the road

Hopefully one of those will come to fruition for sure.

Or a so inclined, adequately fit nine year old.
Id be impressed if a 9 year old could rescue this one, but I’d sure take it as an option!

I'm in the process of making a rocket & RC airplane tree removal tool. I have a Hyperdog slingshot which I use to shoot tennis balls for my dog to chase. I'm going to add a spinning reel to it with a golf ball attached to the braided fishing line of the reel. I launch a golf ball over a branch & let it lower to the ground & then attach parachute cord to the fishing line & pull it up & over the branch to the ground again and use that to try to get the rocket/ airplane off the branch.
Hyperdog slingshot.jpg

I haven't finished it yet but it seems it should work pretty well depending upon my aim.

Last edited:
I finally found some 2x cans and worked on finishing the paint on my Thor 54. It just needs 1 more coat of yellow and then I can apply the replacement decals I bought from Stickershock since the included wrap and I didn't get along.

I’ve been trying to contact the landowner about cutting it down, but haven’t heard back yet.

I use bricklayer's string and a horse shoe. 40 ft isn't that far up really.

Local farmer? We have an ex-electricity company extension ladder that would get you very, very close to that BT.

Local fire brigade? Some of these are amenable to rocket recovery and they treat it as a training exercise. (Don't dial 911).

As for the tree... If there aren't any expensive electronics in my rockets that get treed I usually don't worry too much. I only cut down trees I absolutely have to.

My $0.02 YMMV.

Started the M.O.B. repair and worked on an Estes Pheonix Bird

Attachments

• 20211208_220054.jpg
    20211208_220054.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 10
  • 20211208_220246.jpg
    20211208_220246.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 11
  • 20211208_220256.jpg
    20211208_220256.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 11
  • 20211208_221148.jpg
    20211208_221148.jpg
    200.4 KB · Views: 15
  • 20211208_220939.jpg
    20211208_220939.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 13
I got tree’d this past week. Still trying to figure out how to get it down as the closest part to the ground is like 40 ft upView attachment 493181

Do you launch with a local club? Do you have access to a recovery pole? Might call the local utility co op and see if a local line worker is willing to lend you a pole after work for retrieval.

Woke up to heavy fog this morning, so I decided not to glue anything until later. So I spent the better part of the day modifying the boosted Bertha kit for 24 mm engines. I had a spare coupler that I used to beef up the MM for the sustainer. It was a little longer than the length of the qtip tube that I used for the Kevlar shock cord conduit, another modification. I cut the coupler to size. It turned out great. Less than 1/16" of the tube stuck out on both ends. I laminated the centering rings with another thin piece of cardboard. I figure a little is better then nothing. I made 8 quarter rounds to fillet the sustainer fins. I did finally glue the centering rings to the coupler. Everything else is dry fitted. I still can move things around to get the staging right.
20211209_145349.jpg

Cleared out some boxes from the patio last night and found a baggie of Q2G2 igniters.
Thought I had used them all up.
Also a baggie of Quest plastic nozzle plugs that came with the old Tiger Tail igniters.
Early Christmas present.
Now where's the Cluster Duck?
😁 :christmastree:

Only thing I really did today - I received an early Christmas present box from AC Supply. Got some parachutes, shock cords, Tube marker kit, and a Vesta Intruder rocket. I think I'll wrap it and give it to myself....or better yet...from "Santa".......

The dog and I stayed up pretty late last night only cause we absolutely had to finish watching the classics Christmas movie
“die hard” lol
I think my four leg friend was into it 😆

I confess and apologize that I wish that I had a year more experience when I came out with the Holverson Designs kits. There's a grocery list of things that I'd fix, do better or correctly. But you don't learn that you would have needed the experience until you've done the experience.

To state the obvious: I do feel cheated to the marrow over Fun Rockets.

I'm 3D printing out a Foldi-pad , which was a Fun Rockets product that never came out, in turn of the millennia, easter egg iMac colors. "Think different!" John Carroll had a hand in dsigning the thing. Each leg takes slightly under 12 hours to print. Since trends changed quickly, I may print out a hypothetical later version in red or platinum, or even Allis-Chalmers orange, cream, and silver or black....

Always exciting finding things you forgot you had 😁

Cleared out some boxes from the patio last night and found a baggie of Q2G2 igniters.
Thought I had used them all up.
Also a baggie of Quest plastic nozzle plugs that came with the old Tiger Tail igniters.
Early Christmas present.
Now where's the Cluster Duck?
😁 :christmastree:

Got the decals on the 2.5" tubed upscale Nike X. Sanded and put a smoother coat of black and clear on the MDRM nosecone and cleared the rest of it. Repainted the fake chrome paint on the 29mm Big Daddy. Too much dust in the first attempt. This one is much better. Still a ways to go overall painting that.

Attachments

• IMG_8201.jpg
    IMG_8201.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 8
Back