What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is this Prometheus 5 a kit? You stated the OR file is scratch, but is the rocket, or is it a proven design? If it's proven, then I'd say just fly it as is, and that we've been wasting a lot of bandwidth discussing it.

Its a kit, but its a Composite warehouse kit, and I imagine there aren't all that many of them in circulation unless people bought them on sale. as it normally retails for 549.99. What I meant when I said scratch was that I looked around for an OR file for my version of the prometheus and couldn't find one. So I built one in Open Rocket from scratch with measurements and weights ect. of components.

Its a kit, but its a Composite warehouse kit, and I imagine there aren't all that many of them in circulation unless people bought them on sale. as it normally retails for 549.99. What I meant when I said scratch was that I looked around for an OR file for my version of the prometheus and couldn't find one. So I built one in Open Rocket from scratch with measurements and weights ect. of components.
You would probably be surprised at how many have been purchased. There seems to be a fair number of TRF'ers who have a fairly large rocket budget (money to burn....😀).

I bought one on sale earlier this year. It's in my build pile now, which might be a problem. First I would have to find it...
2021-10-20 Build pile.jpg
You would probably be surprised at how many have been purchased. There seems to be a fair number of TRF'ers who have a fairly large rocket budget (money to burn....😀).
That might be me, but I'm blaming Sharon!

Today I prepped a few rockets for this weekends launch. Aguila Skies is the first launch of the season for Tripoli Phoenix. Friday is LPR/MPR and I have my Kick Asspire on a G80, Smokin' Nike on a G77, Tommy 2.5 on an F35, and the Viper 3 on 3x E12's. Saturday is all HPR, and I'm hoping to fly Fast Freddy on an L935, 3" Blackstar on an L852 research Sharon's Sparkler II in a 54/2550 casing, Big Bad Dog for it's first flight on an L875 DM, and Slick Willy on an M2047 Not Your Wimpy Red in a 75/6000 casing.
2021-10-20 Aguila Skies.jpg
Since Sharon has been slaving away in the office all week, she probably won't be adding much to this pile. She has her Jimbo Jart prepped with a K360, and we might be able to find a couple more that we prepped for Airfest and didn't fly. There is some room on the red carpet though.

I bought one on sale earlier this year. It's in my build pile now, which might be a problem. First I would have to find it...
View attachment 486587

That might be me, but I'm blaming Sharon!

Today I prepped a few rockets for this weekends launch. Aguila Skies is the first launch of the season for Tripoli Phoenix. Friday is LPR/MPR and I have my Kick Asspire on a G80, Smokin' Nike on a G77, Tommy 2.5 on an F35, and the Viper 3 on 3x E12's. Saturday is all HPR, and I'm hoping to fly Fast Freddy on an L935, 3" Blackstar on an L852 research Sharon's Sparkler II in a 54/2550 casing, Big Bad Dog for it's first flight on an L875 DM, and Slick Willy on an M2047 Not Your Wimpy Red in a 75/6000 casing.
View attachment 486593
Since Sharon has been slaving away in the office all week, she probably won't be adding much to this pile. She has her Jimbo Jart prepped with a K360, and we might be able to find a couple more that we prepped for Airfest and didn't fly. There is some room on the red carpet though.
Well you did kind of come to mind, but I was not being specific about any single rocketeer. I envy you that you and Sharon have been successful enough to be able to really enjoy our hobby as much as you clearly do!

View attachment 486587

hehe. I think at a glance its probably the tall greyish one in between the two windows on the right, or possibly the blue one in between the two windows on left. I'm also interested in that big nosecone with a metal tip on the right... that looks intimidating.

Yeah, I got that the OR file was from scratch, just didn't know if the rocket was also.

So the designer/manufacturer has tested it, and several other people have shelled out the shocking price, and flown it. Just fly it.

(Rule #1 of rocketry: Think it through carefully.
Rule #6: Don't overthink it.
Rule #7: But see rule #1.
Rule #8: Yeah, but that doesn't mean you should forget rule #6 either.
Rule #9: I'm breaking rule #6, aren't I?)

Release the Kraken!
(Sorry, couldn't resist).

Since it's not quite a Kraken, I have been trying to think of names. My brain landed on "Kinda Kraken Klone" but then in an instant I realized the awful acronym from that! So, it's just the Kraken Klone for now.

A little more Goony Warrior work. Cleaned up scans of the original Solar Warrior (3225) decals and adjusted them in Gimp. Printed on laser decal paper. Turned out nice. Next up, clear coat and nozzle attachment. This is turning out better than I expected.

Attachments

• IMG_20211023_093955113.jpg
    IMG_20211023_093955113.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Shot base white over the primer on 3 rockets. Wouldda done 4 more but the humidity started to climb and I don't want to sand it down and start over so the rest will wait for another day

@Scott_650 and I ran the range for a three (almost four) hour Cub Scout launch today. Because it was a district-wide recruitment event, most of the rockets hadn't been built yet. So, Scott, God bless him, helped two dozen Cub Scouts while I loaded motors and chatted up parents. Obviously, Scott did a LOT more work than I did, but it was a lot of fun to see the look on those kids faces when they see their first rocket go "whoosh" off the pad.

LCO at the Music City Missile Club Jack-O-Launch. Pushed the button on at least a hundred flights. Lots of rocketeers including eight cert attempts. (I think only one wasn't successful.) Many thanks to Merlin Missiles! Lee Berry and his partner in crime made the long trek from Dayton OH to deliver motors and vend their other wares.

Peter Tarle flew his Dodo 1, a hodgepodge of 10" concrete form tubes, 3/4" plywood, centering rings cut from a 2x12, a giant plastic easter egg half, and lots of decking screws and fender washers. It flew twice, first on an M1350, and a second time (just before the waiver expired) on a hybrid M3000.

Oh BTW, thanks to Brad the Rocket Rev for designing such a fine wireless launch system. At the end of the day when everyone's tired, NOT having to wind up five hundred feet of very heavy cable was MUCH appreciated!

Best -- Terry

Firestreak build. Engine mount assembled and fins sanded and cut out.

Attachments

• Untitled picture.jpg
    Untitled picture.jpg
    175.8 KB · Views: 5
  • Untitled picture 2.png
    Untitled picture 2.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 4
Venus Probe build. First time fitting the alien probe to the tube body. It's all starting to come together. Just a few details left.

Attachments

• original-26a3b00c-c934-4e6b-8bde-30e4e2c09db0.jpeg
    original-26a3b00c-c934-4e6b-8bde-30e4e2c09db0.jpeg
    142.7 KB · Views: 14
Started 24m Fliskits tres bt 70 mmt.
Not sure at the moment what kind of rocket it will power .
Plane- Rocket?

Used spare parts for cockpit on Transporter.

Attachments

• 20211025_184353.jpg
    20211025_184353.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 14
  • 20211025_184206.jpg
    20211025_184206.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 16
  • 20211025_184323.jpg
    20211025_184323.jpg
    165 KB · Views: 16
Back