What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
CA'd my finger to a fin while trying to tack it to the CR.

I had a CA fiasco this weekend while hardening a motor mount tube edge.

As it is happening an outside observer would think you were having a stroke or something. . .its basically like walking through a spider web (done that twice this week too. . .). A rocket guy would see the same event and go 'oh, too much CA' and move on.

Sandy.

I had a CA fiasco this weekend while hardening a motor mount tube edge.

As it is happening an outside observer would think you were having a stroke or something. . .its basically like walking through a spider web (done that twice this week too. . .). A rocket guy would see the same event and go 'oh, too much CA' and move on.

Sandy.
The fumes given off from too much thin CA is something we all could recognize and commiserate with. I've started using a small desk fan with the air blowing from behind me and past my face to prevent it from getting too bad near my face.

Something not quite as good as thin CA but much easier to deal with is a brushing lacquer that has been thinned significantly. Soaks in like thin CA, dries fairly quickly and is easier to sand. For a larger MMT, I've switched to this from CA. It has a mucher lower risk of transferring layers of skin from the pads of your fingers too.

I did a big step forward in the new build, I bonded motor tube assembly to the air frame and now I am ready for filleting the fins. I also installed the buffle, all scratch build. Once the fillets are done I will start scuffing the entire tube for a single layer of 195 gsm glass fibre. Will do a tip to tip also for the fin section but I still not fully convinced I need a proper layup, like 0/45/-45/0.

Attachments

• E6AC58AA-1F42-4CB8-BFF8-CEEAAECD6259.jpeg
    E6AC58AA-1F42-4CB8-BFF8-CEEAAECD6259.jpeg
    67.8 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
The fumes given off from too much thin CA is something we all could recognize and commiserate with. I've started using a small desk fan with the air blowing from behind me and past my face to prevent it from getting too bad near my face.

Something not quite as good as thin CA but much easier to deal with is a brushing lacquer that has been thinned significantly. Soaks in like thin CA, dries fairly quickly and is easier to sand. For a larger MMT, I've switched to this from CA. It has a mucher lower risk of transferring layers of skin from the pads of your fingers too.
For what it's worth, those CA fumes are actually a form of tear gas. That's why it feels like you've been tear gassed.

Jim

I just finished packing the Explorer with rockets and assorted gear for tomorrow. It is the first day of Tripoly Las Vegas Octoberfest. Weather forecast looks good for the whole weekend. Glory Be. Finally a launch day without 15 mph winds. I hope the weatherman is right this time. I'm taking 6 rockets one of which is The Flying Pumpkin.

I just finished packing the Explorer with rockets and assorted gear for tomorrow. It is the first day of Tripoly Las Vegas Octoberfest. Weather forecast looks good for the whole weekend. Glory Be. Finally a launch day without 15 mph winds. I hope the weatherman is right this time. I'm taking 6 rockets one of which is The Flying Pumpkin.
Enjoy sounds awesome

<<snip>>
Both pieces successfully retrieved, I hope? Without (further) damage?
<<snip>>
Oh yes. They landed about 60' apart, and other than a little mud on one of the fins, all was fine. The range safety officer even commented that it looked like I planned it that way! :bravo:

For what it's worth, those CA fumes are actually a form of tear gas. That's why it feels like you've been tear gassed.

Jim
There is an odorless CA on the market, but I'm not convinced it is as strong as the stinky stuff, I choose to stick with stinky!

Wet sanded the nosecone on my Big Bad Dog today. Yesterday I painted the entire rocket with 2K epoxy clear glamor, but the N/C came out a bit fuzzy, so I let it dry overnight and wet sanded it with 400 grit this morning, wiped it off with alcohol and sprayed it again with the same can. It worked so good, I wiped off the N/C and payload tube of my old 3" Darkstar and sprayed it too. I was surprised that the epoxy paint didn't cure in the can overnight, but the instructions said it would last for up to 48 hours before curing. The paint on the N/C was completely dry this morning.
The Wildman Bad dog was modified to fit a 75mm motor in it, and finished up last month. I added Stickershock decals and a small Marine bulldog to it:

2021-10-15 Big Bad Dog.jpg

First flight will be on a single use L875 Dark Matter.

Back