What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I went to a launch earlier today. I had my first AstroCam flight since a cato melted the lens on the previous camera. I'm trying to do some RCBG projects. One is a micro brick in a Apogee Condor just to get it out of my system and see if it accidentally works. One is finishing up a recreated Malewicki RCBG. I'm trying to revive an Arcie II. And I started my own RCBG design from scratch with the working title "Caliby".

For what it's worth, I discovered that I didn't have any BT80 on hand for the interlocking rings on my Sagittarius A build. Not wanting to wait for an order to arrive (and not wanting to pay more for shipping than for the actual BT) I ran into my local Micheal's craft store and picked up a 4" x 10" cardboard shipping tube for $3.50 and cut the rings from it. They certainly added more weight to the build but I wasn't going for any altitude records. The other plus was the thickness of the tube over a BT80. It was easier to make the cuts to interlock the tubes and the final assembly was very sturdy with zero flexing. Just throwing it out there for consideration.
View attachment 479384View attachment 479385View attachment 479386
I assume you used balsa for the spars on the two fins? One of mine cracked on the last launch, needed a repair. If I built it again I would use basswood for the spars. Make sure you have a big enough chute that it lands gently...

Finished my first full fledged AV-Bay, a 13 month journey starting with a build of an Eggfinder Mini (which I borked - twice!). SMT Designs NC Deployment/Tracker AV Bay with a Quark and Mini. Continuity on both channels (green LEDs). Today was a good day...

View attachment 483053
Looks great!
After a particularly "hard landing", the GPS antenna on mine sheared off from it's underlying circuit board. When I ordered another from Cris at Eggtimer, he recommended I run a bead of epoxy completely around the antenna at that junction point to strengthen it. Can't tell for sure from the photo, but it looks like a fore and aft epoxy bead between the antenna and the motherboard which is not the failure point... it's the antenna assembly itself.

I have that same chute in 6' and really liked how it performed at LDRS! (Though, I don't have the fancy pouch. Color me jealous :) )

I’m a bit nervous about flying with a deployment bag, to be honest. It feels like a risk to give the parachute another step to complete before deploying. However, it’s vital that the massive parachute that is going to be needed on my level 3 rocket uses one and I am determined to not try anything for the first time on that rocket except the 75mm motors. It was somewhat reassuring at least how easily the parachute falls out of the bag when it is packed according to Ky Michaelson’s demonstration video on the website.

Put some nose weight (copper BBs drowned in epoxy) in the nose of the Gobblin' - should get its maiden flight Sunday on a F42-4T at the club launch. Whipped up a list of other rocket/motor combos possible to fly then as well. First go with JLCR as well, will probably loft a beater (my old Alien Space Probe) to get the hang of that before doing anything valuable :)

Painted a LOC Photon, LOC Park Flyer IQSY Tomahawk, the replacement forward section of a LOC 2.6" AMRAAM and an Estes Vapor.

It was 72 degrees and low humidity. Had to paint while I could. Hope tomorrow is similar since I have 5 or 6 more ready for paint.

Drilled holes in the Big bad dog. Static ports in the avbay, vent holes in the payload tube and fincan, little holes for connecting the avbay to the payload tube. More holes in the avbay for 4-40 pem nuts, and even more in the nosecone and the coupler. Then a couple more little bitty ones for the shear pins.

Back