What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
got started on mounting pegs on an old board that I'm using for a workbench and cutting 3 in Poplar dowel rods so that I can stick the rocket over top of them and keep them from falling over.
Fz79xmB.jpg

I am CAD modelling a pitot-static tube mount for my 4" rocket. I have it roughed out so I printed it up on the FDM printer, just to get a feel for scale and size. Looks about right I think. For scale, that hole is 4mm diameter.
PSVeryRough.jpg

Now to add mounting holes and some more aerodynamic shaping to it before printing the final part.

This sounds like a different level of cool...
It lets the Vertical Trajectory System change the gain of the control loops which should allow it to provide effective control over a much larger range of velocities in the flight envelope. Conversely, it is something else I have to get right...

That's the ticket. IMO, one should never have to video or photograph one's own launches. You watch the flight and someone else can use the camera. If there's no one available, then we voyeurs will just have to do without.
It's funny you commented on Antares JS's mentioning the filming of rocket launches with one person launching and filming by himself. I know what he means. About a month ago I did launch and filmed one and never posted it because it came out terrible. Well, here is the video. Filming under the bright sun as it bleaches out the view finder on the camera and looking for the right setting , holding the launcher in one hand and the camera in the other. The audio was not synced right. At least after my little Iris leaped into the air I could let go of the launcher and catch the rocket coming down. That was the best part of the video. So everyone, let someone else do the filming.

Attachments

• iris 18mm film launch.mp4
    43.6 MB
Last edited:
Sanded off the laser scorching from my LOC 4" Goblin fins and centering rings to start assembling Goblin #3. peeled the glassine from the motor tube and the fin slot area. Man, I've got to quit killing these things... :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Since my 3D printed rough pitot tube mount was printed I thought I'd have a go at making the tube itself. Some brass tubes (2mm OD and 4mm OD) were cut to length with a pipe cutter and a scalpel, then soldered and the tip cleaned up with a file. It is not obvious but there are two tubes there, coaxially mounted.
Pitot1.jpg

Pitot2.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pitot_tube
Next up is to refine the CAD on the mount (add mounting holes, spigots for air pressure tubes, airfoil the shape etc) and get it printed in resin. I will make another tube assembly since this one was only quickly soldered together to see what might be possible. I also need to put a clean hole in the side of the pitot-static tube for the static port. I will use my dental drill and a diamond burr for that. I might even get keen and put it in the mill to get three holes around the circumference.

Moving slowly on the Roachwerks 4x24mm Nike-Hercules. Started airfoil on the balsa fins. Glued the profile templates on the root and tip edges. I start with the small sanding block and 220 grit to get the basic profile, then switch to the small black tool on the left and 320 to finish. Not too bad so far. The balsa is extremely delicate once shaped.
FF5FD5F4-EF53-4727-8C47-E4A00980AABF.jpeg
A950FBEF-1A8B-42FD-BF80-795EA6F537D3.jpeg
Just a little more, then skin with the cardstock.

Facebook reminds me that 8 yrs ago I built my first home rocket with a friend and got a little too hasty with the motor mount glue before launchting (and all the other glue come to think of it)

I still have that rocket, it's flown on dozens of B's C's and a few D's now, plus it's signed by Vern Estes.

1623852126147.png

I need to add a bit of filler here and there where the fins got dinged, and a light coat on the fins before it's ready for paint, but getting the Alamo to this stage is what I did today... ;)

View attachment 469024
Those forward finds look like the ones on the Sea Killer I want to build, but everyone has told me that they would cause too much instability.
V1tQ4SI.png

Those forward finds look like the ones on the Sea Killer I want to build, but everyone has told me that they would cause too much instability.
There is actually a lot of rear fin area too, so stability might not be too bad, and easily fixable with a little nose weight. You could also scale the forward fins down a little and still get a remarkably similar look. It might even be easier to transport and less prone to damage ;).

Do you want to fly rockets on these new Quest 24mm motors? These composite rocket motors have some interesting characteristics compared to black powder rocket motors. Let's test the new Quest E26 rocket motor.

There is actually a lot of rear fin area too, so stability might not be too bad, and easily fixable with a little nose weight. You could also scale the forward fins down a little and still get a remarkably similar look. It might even be easier to transport and less prone to damage ;).
yes, I figured that if we took the forward fins and just made them 1/2 size of normal that it would still look great and may solve the stability issues

It is not obvious but there are two tubes there, coaxially mounted.
And the fact that it's not obvious is a tribute to your craftsmanship. What need is there of doing it again?

Antar is short for Antares.
Yes, I know. I never imagined it was actually named after Eddie. People call it "Antar", which is sufficient to induce errant thoughts.

That's the second thing I thought when I saw them, specifically that it would need a bunch of nose weight. The first thing was that the look really breaky-breaky.

Been meaning to build myself a cloned Sizzler #1906 for a long time now. This was one of my favorite rockets to fly back in my childhood. Always flew straight as an arrow and never did me wrong.

Nothing ground breaking here. ERockets Fins, Apogee BT50 tube, Estes plastic nose cone (still looking for the correct PNC-50Y). Standard Estes motor mount with 200# Kevlar around the upper ring as a leader for the shock cord. 1/8" Kevlar line attached for the shock cord.

Built with TBII and thick and quick for the fillets. Fins filled with Minwax Sanding Sealer.

Sprayed with Krylon gloss White then taped off and sprayed the top with Gloss black. Vinyl was cut on my Cricut.

View attachment 446857View attachment 446858View attachment 446859
Very sharp. Sizzler was my first rocket too. It was a great flier with good balance. I lost it some time ago but would like to replace it with a scratch build like you did.

Very sharp. Sizzler was my first rocket too. It was a great flier with good balance. I lost it some time ago but would like to replace it with a scratch build like you did.

For me, the 1906, also known as the Sizzler is THE rocket. The re-releases of a rocket named Sizzler are not real Sizzlers.

I built 2 as a kid, not using stock colors as spray paint was what we had on hand, but otherwise used the decals etc.

When I BAR'd the first time, I built a white one (using the original nosecone from childhood) and built various up-scales. All are in trees or mulch at this point, but anyone who is a 1906 Sizzler fan is a friend of mine and I want to see the rockets!
Sandy.

Took some time off from picking lemons. Got the fins on my 3FNC proto, now known as 'Yalga', a local Aboriginal word for the barb on a spear*. Fillets and lugs tomorrow, primer prolly Sunday.

OR shows 750ft on a C6-5, but the possibility of making it a two stage design is appealing...

DSCF8874-cr (FILEminimizer).jpg

DSCF8875-cr (FILEminimizer).jpg

DSCF8877-cr (FILEminimizer).jpg

*Better than the previous name of 'Tube offcut 3FNC with greebles'.

For me, the 1906, also known as the Sizzler is THE rocket. The re-releases of a rocket named Sizzler are not real Sizzlers.

I built 2 as a kid, not using stock colors as spray paint was what we had on hand, but otherwise used the decals etc.

When I BAR'd the first time, I built a white one (using the original nosecone from childhood) and built various up-scales. All are in trees or mulch at this point, but anyone who is a 1906 Sizzler fan is a friend of mine and I want to see the rockets!
Sandy.

Sandy,

I'm currently collecting parts for various upscale build this summer and the Sizzler 1906 is on the list. I'm currently looking for an appropriate nose cone but I'm thinking I want to do at least a 2.5" using the Estes Pro tubes.

Started on the Solar Warrior kit.

Want to buy a replacement Redstone capsule from Estes and leave off the tower for launching (keep the nice one from getting smashed), but having trouble deciding if I want to get up to $50 to get free shipping. It doesn't make much sense to spend $30 on a capsule, some BT50 that I need and shipping.

Back