What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sunday I started painting star scream and joker in my new paint booth I built. It’s been about a year since I used my HLVP gun and of course seems like it’s a perishable skill. Yesturday had to spend a bit of time sanding both of them back down to fix a few runs. Turns out after I put the gun away to pack up to move last year I had turned the paint needle out for some reason so it was shooting thick and of course I didn’t think to check spray settings very good. Have to do things the hard way sometimes I guess. Face palm. Despite this, today was much better after adjusting the gun. Painted both rockets with 4 light coats of createx silver sealer. Star scream got 4 coats of createx wicked colors blue copper flair after that . It’s a color shift paint and it fluxutes between a radar blue to green to copper….pretty cool. Joker nose cone got white sealer. Tonight joker will get iridescent purple and the nose cone will get poison green candy. Star scream nose cone will get orange sealer and orange paint along with a custom paint mask for lettering and flames. 7355EA82-51D8-4FED-A204-9D68290D89BF.jpegFE6978AC-AC89-4CAD-8BBA-7327AF5067EB.jpegE44B872D-9EB4-40B9-B537-5A8322DF3DC2.jpeg8E634E23-76B4-4AB6-A037-71649CA28A1A.jpeg1CE4BD89-0AC0-4C69-9A17-89047B569DC9.jpeg

I haven't done anything today rocket wise. Sunday, I launched a few rockets for my 5 year old grandson. A fin broke upon landing on the first flight. Sunday night, I applied 30 minute epoxy to the broken pieces and some on the outside where it was broken. All cured now, ready for another flight.

Finally went to another MRDA launch this weekend. Great weather except for about a hour of very sparse rain.

Flew my Stretched LOC 5.56" V2 with a BlackJack EX-Load for the AeroTech 38-1080 case. J215 Roughly.

Shots from a Casio EX-FH100. using "Pre-Cognition" mode at 40fps with 25 frames saved from before taking the shot...
It's time Travel...lol

Cimg0280.jpgCimg0285.jpgCimg0290.jpgCimg0295.jpg

Today:

- Applied final clear coat on BB2 I made last year
- Applied first coat of primer on 38mm Terrier booster
- Applied final red coat on Smurf rocket
- Ordered motor retainer and shock cord for Smurf rocket

IMG_2139.JPG

After discovering the backwards installed processor on my Eggtimer Quark yesterday, I set it aside and built the other two Quarks I have today. Both work. I think my soldering skills are much improved. Nice and shiny, no blobs. More than anything it helped getting the right sized tip. It helps to read the instructions more carefully, too.

I've decided it's not worth buying a $50 hot air station to salvage a $20 Quark. I'll try to get the processor off the hard way and if I bork it so be it. Just another order for Chris, in that case.

Ready to tackle my third try at the Eggfinder Mini. If I can finally get that done I'll be ready to go for some personal altitude records and my L2 in the fall....

I've decided it's not worth buying a $50 hot air station to salvage a $20 Quark. I'll try to get the processor off the hard way and if I bork it so be it.
SOICs such as that are readily removable with solder wick and or a solder sucker, depending on how much access you have (some of the chips on the Quark are butted up against other things, which makes it much harder). A hot air machine is nice but by no means necessary. Go for it.

Mistakes were not made!

The Modge Podge was cured enough this morning to run an x-acto along the payload and nose cone separation points. They came apart nicely. 👍🏻

After work, I sprayed a couple of coats of Modge Podge Iridescent Acrylic Sealer to the mini-piñata rocket. This is not a product I’ve used before. It’s added a subtle shimmering effect in the sun. I’m going to let it sit for a couple of days before deciding if I want to add MOAR SPARKLEZ! (Additional coats)

50088BDA-3008-45BD-9232-874C509A8D49.jpeg

View attachment IMG_1076.MOV

Mistakes were not made!

The Modge Podge was cured enough this morning to run an x-acto along the payload and nose cone separation points. They came apart nicely. 👍🏻

After work, I sprayed a couple of coats of Modge Podge Iridescent Acrylic Sealer to the mini-piñata rocket. This is not a product I’ve used before. It’s added a subtle shimmering effect in the sun. I’m going to let it sit for a couple of days before deciding if I want to add MOAR SPARKLEZ! (Additional coats)

View attachment 464987

View attachment 464988

I really like that! Very nice!

Tonight’s work continued with joker getting iridescent plum purple and poison green candy on the nose cone and coupler. Coupler kinda looks like crap so I’ll work on it when I do the green acid drip paint mask on the body tube…getting close. Starscream nose cone got orange.

FA3CCA87-5A96-4E62-A039-64BC6E0B1A16.jpeg9B7FF23A-65BD-4D3C-871E-746A435FC736.jpeg

Tonight’s work continued with joker getting iridescent plum purple and poison green candy on the nose cone and coupler. Coupler kinda looks like crap so I’ll work on it when I do the green acid drip paint mask on the body tube…getting close. Starscream nose cone got orange.

View attachment 464991View attachment 464992

That's a *GREAT* purple! (a *grape* purple?)

Prime, sand, prime, sand, paint, paint, paint, prime, sand, prime, sand, paint, paint.... multiple rockets working on I am. I have a winter's worth of builds that need to be dressed. So its off to the paint store again, this time to get reds and greys...

Got the long shot covered in white (see post in staging) and MY ANTAR kits arrived today. Haven't looked forward to an LP kit for a while. One to be a display on a flying stand. It is 'advanced' skill level due to the paint job.

Cheers / Robert

Some photos from Saturdays launch.

Attachments

• DSCF4345.JPG
    DSCF4345.JPG
    189.7 KB · Views: 18
  • DSCF4347.JPG
    DSCF4347.JPG
    175.9 KB · Views: 22
  • DSCF4353.JPG
    DSCF4353.JPG
    256.6 KB · Views: 20