What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been tempted a few times by this kit. You've done a superb job with the build/paint, I'm interested in how it flies.

It was a scale model for the Estes Pro Series II and that was enough for me to get it. I'm a big fan of long burn/low thrust motors like the E16 and F15 and am always up for a rocket that will fly on them.

Well, sort of. When I glued on the centering ring I wanted to locate the nut and washer (which is the back end of the eye bolt for the shock cord attachment) equally spaced between the fins. Had it been rotated a little more it would have interfered with the fin contacting the motor mount tube, I would have had to notch the fin tab which I didn't want to do. Fortunately I test fit the fins before the epoxy set. The aft ring was in place, to keep the tube aligned, but not glued yet so I didn't notice how close it was to the fin tab. Anyway, I'll finish doing the internal fillets and glue on the aft ring and no one will ever see it.
I was going to say the nut doesn't look like it's epoxied to the bolt such that it might come loose over time....

I hope I get to see that rocket body go over. I went over to see Bill at BMS and picked up a large order of tubes, coupler stock, nose cones, bulkheads and motors. Should keep me in supplies for the month. I am so lucky to have him so close to me.

Got some carbon CNC cut fins in the mail. The cut quality reinforced my thoughts of “I need my own CNC router.”

I received a Rocketman 48" 2.2cd chute in the mail. I primed a new space plane build and started another dual deploy rocket. And I'm waiting on paint to cure on another build so I can put on the second color. And went over to BMS.

I had six rockets that I wanted to fly on Saturday that needed work, so I got the work done on four of them. The ASP Corporal is ready for primer, I printed a decal for the Estes Voyager II, added nose weight to a TLP Exocet MM:40, and epoxied the launch lug back onto my LOC Lil' Nuke. I have a Beta that needs fin work today, and a Solar Flare that I'd finish if I could find the rest of the parts for it.:rolleyes:

Yesterday, I made up some new lighters for our research motors while two electricians re-wired my work area. They were a bit surprised when I lit one to test it.
This morning, I woke up at 2 am thinking about the 2.6" Madcow Fireflyer that I'm sending up to 25K ft. at NSL later this month. I decided to extend the charge cups by about 1 inch to improve the combustion of BP at high altitude. Got out of bed and measured the drogue space with an L935 installed, just enough room.

I’ve been fighting a cold for the last few days, so I haven’t done much besides lay on the couch. I did manage to try out prototype version 2 for one of my rocket electronics designs today - everything works perfectly so far.

Shot silver and brown on my 3" BBX and just now pulled all the masking. Need to drill shear pin holes and mount a Quantum in the av-bay and it'll be done.

What's the reason for the poking the nose cone through the box?
I had just coated the parts with thinned epoxy. It was windy out, and while the transition section and base piece were stable, I was concerned the nose cone would blow over. The epoxy was tacky so I wasn't concerned about it running down onto the shoulder of the nose cone.

I started studying up for my CAR Lvl 1 exam. In the mail came my first issue of Sport Rocketry. Later I picked up a 1010 x 6' rail from Acklands-Grainger. Tonight I will be sanding some plywood fins (putting on a chamfered leading edge).

I wish my hand stitching looked that good.
[/QUOT

This is the second shockcord I've stitched (first was on my Zephyr--man was I nervous when I went for my L1.) I learned how to do this watching John Coker's video. Like most things, you get better the more you do it !

Well... the first and only stitching that I've ever tried was when I sewed a loop in the shock cord of my LOC IV that I flew for my L1 attempt (I'm happy to say it was successful) on 5/1/21. I watched John Coker's video too. His stitching went better than mine and recovery was the most nerve wracking part of the flight. I just knew my stitching was going to tear out on ejection and my chute would go one way and the rocket parts would go another. But it held with no apparent damage.

AFTER I got home from the launch I read the directions and found out that the side that formed a loop when you pull it bac was where I was supposed to pass the cord through. That was good info LOL

Back