What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This week I went through every (very old) issue of Model Rocketry Magazine and found plans for rockets to build or modify and generated a list of parts needed. Build pile just got a lot bigger....

Today was our launch day. We got blown out again. That 3 months in a row. I only flew my traffic cone. I discovered that it needs more nose weight. It was a sky writer. A few hardy soul did launch in a couple of lulls. Long recoveries.

Down to my mentor's place to test rocket motors. There's a stick of graphite in my lathe that will be six 38mm nozzles but since they're not finished I couldn't test my stuff. However, Jim's "Bluestreek" propellant worked very nicely. Looks kinda neat, the way that the visible flame appears almost separated from the motor.
1618703163096.png

Our club set up the range for any TARC teams in the area to be able to get some practice in. several teams showed up, but far less than anticipated. This allowed me to get in a couple of launches myself. The Madcow Little John flew well, good recovery, but I failed to arm the Flight Sketch for launch, so no data. I remembered to arm it for my Big Daddy launch on a G53FJ-10, with it's Vanderburn upgrade to 29mm. Also set the JLCR to 500 feet. It flew nicely, and landed somewhere in our swampy brambles thicket. Long story short, hours of searching did not locate it, so I'm sad. My best guess is it went into the pond/creek there, and completely sank. It could certainly be among the thickets somewhere,I found two other rockets that had likely been in there for years, not salvageable, but now disposed of. I may go back for another look tomorrow, as between the rocket with upgrades including Stickershock, motor case, JLCR and FS mini there's a not insignificant investment involved, but hopes are very low.

Madcow Little John

Estes Big Daddy with Vanderburn upgrades

Back