What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Where did you get that. I want one.

My daughter and her husband-to-be gave it to me about 23 years ago. It sat a long time before I resurrected my childhood hobby in January 2020. The also gave me an AstroCam that takes the old 110 cartridge film, but that stuff is so expensive now that I doubt I'll ever take any pictures with it. This picture is kinda busy in the background, but there they are along with my son's "Power Patrol" - painted orange and black - and the Odd'l Rockets Birdie.
20200210_063017.jpg

Wish I could help, it's a really neat vintage kit. I'd hoped to actually put a minature Elvis ducktail wig on the alien, but really couldn't figure out how.

You could just replace the alien with Elvis. We know he's out there.
Awesome. Almost looks like a Space Elvis.
Yeah, that was basically the idea. You all may recall the tabloids with the alien meeting various presidents, Elvis is alive, Elvis captured by a UFO, etc. Just kinda riffing on that, as I don't take the bug-eyed depiction of aliens very seriously either! Plus it made it a little less creepy for the grandkids, who just had a giggle fit when they saw it upon landing (I had it packed before we went to launch).

2 years ago I bought 26 Estes rockets from a guy who was selling out but none of the Rockets had parachutes on them, so today I put three parachutes on and are now at least a little bit more ready to show up at a rocket launch and have something ready to launch, and it will be something for my grandson to get into.

My electronics design shipments are getting closer. Amazon Prime takes 4+ days to reach us these days, so everything else is sloooowwww.

I put Bama Blastoff on my calendar. I have a few rockets to build before then. Better get to work!

Today I finished an oddroc. I used an Amazon box as the body. It's 5" x 5" x 56" It weighs 55 ounces with a chute. The box by it's self was 27 ounces. I put a 38mm mmt in it. I used 1/4" birch ply for the centering squares. I put a 2.2" BT 24" long with 1/8th inch foam board centering squares from the mmt up. Both as a stiffener and to reduce the internal volume. The fins are 1/8th" foam board laminated together to make 1/4" fins. Tacked to the mmt with JB Quik Weld and then epoxy external filets. The nose cone is pieces of the box end put together with hot glue. I put 5 ounces of BB's and epoxy in the nose. Made a cardboard coupler and used 1/4" ply for the bulkhead. Thrustcurve puts it at about 800' on a H182. I'm Calling it Amazon Prime.
How Cool this is.

Started charging lipos and cameras for a launch this weekend.

LOC 5.5 AIM54 on an AMW K600WW (last one I have)
LOC HyperLOC 835 on a Loki J350SK
Not sure what else yet. Maybe a Sheri's Titan if I can find a pair of 29mm Hs

2 years ago I bought 26 Estes rockets from a guy who was selling out but none of the Rockets had parachutes on them, so today I put three parachutes on and are now at least a little bit more ready to show up at a rocket launch and have something ready to launch, and it will be something for my grandson to get into.

For the record, only a few of my rockets have parachutes built-in. Most have a loop tied in the elastic or in the kevlar that attaches the body tube to the nose cone. Separately, I have a ziploc bag of parachutes and streamers that have a snap swivel on the end. Before I fly, I choose a chute or streamer that seems best based on motor selection, wind speed, and direction and snap the swivel to the loop. It makes it easier to change chutes if and when they get damaged as well.

Ordered a few more parts and a pile of Estes motors from AC Supply. And, I decided I needed to build a Redstone so that made it into the virtual cart. Kid wants to build a Goblin, so ordered that as well.

Last week I had to drive to Duluth, MN to get a hip injection. I'll need a hip replacement one of these days. While there I went to Harbor Freight and ended up buying one of their Gordon hobby knives. $6. It it much heavier than the aluminum Exacto knives I have and has a rubberized body with a nub so it doesn't roll off my table. I really like it.

1618581290211.png

Last edited:
Last week I had to drive to Duluth, MN to get a hip injection. I'll need a hip replacement one of these days. While there I went to Harbor Freight and ended up buying one of their Gordon hobby knives. $6. It it much heavier than the aluminum Exacto knives I have and has a rubberized body with a nub so it doesn't roll of my table. I really like it.

View attachment 460170
I still have a membership on a tractor forum, as I own a slightly-larger-than-lawn tractor for my small acreage - it has a front loader, mid- mower, 3 point hitch and rear PTO but it's only 18 HP... anyway every time I see a reference to HF, I recall a sticky thread they had on there... "Harbor Freight tools that actually work". This looks like one of them! I like it!

Got lucky on 2 fronts.

First, these recent photos from jfcusson are exactly what I needed to keep going on my first two-stager project, the CSA HQ BB9 model, made of Loc materials. When I visited, they wouldn't let me take photos from up close, because of "9/11 regulations". Now knowing the booster is entirely white, I filled in the spirals with Tamiya putty a couple of times, and sanded.

Second, the smurfs let me rent their rocketshipyard as a photo studio. So they won't be building the rocket, but they'll let me take photos of my progress on the same lot. Savvy little crittiers.😒

IMG_2079.JPG

Drove to a Lego store and purchased the recently-released Space Shuttle set.
I'm so jealous!

Last week I had to drive to Duluth, MN to get a hip injection. I'll need a hip replacement one of these days.
I had mine done about 15 months ago, it was the best decision I ever made. I didn't realize how much I was catering to the pain until it was gone.

My coworker built this the other day. He's not even into rockets!

This is absolutely gorgeous, I'm a fan of your co-worker's work.

Back