What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Opened a downloaded RockSim file for the Estes Geo Sat LV. I recently found the instructions sheen in an old box. From that I learned what that old nose and payload section assembly is from (it's been in my odd salvage drawer for a few years) and now I want to clone the rest. The RS file is wonderfully detailed.

Andrew K (@BSNW) advised me that the rocket is overweight/underpowered on a C6, so I should either upgrade to a 24 mm motor mount or use only composite motors. Simulations confirmed that. It gets over 300 feet on a C6, but it's too slow off the rod.

I made a second copy of the RS file, then both A) upgraded to a 24×95 mm motor mount and B) added 13 mm mounts to the side boosters. I'd build it with the side boosters' aft centering rings far enough forward to put the plastic ends in for display and single motor flights.

A D12 gives plenty of speed off the rod, as does a C6 assisted by a pair of 1/2A engines (pretty much any of them). E9 + 2×A3 gets the apogee well over a thousand feet.

Where did you find the RockSim file? I am about to finish mine, but I changed mine to be able to use three 24mm x 90mm motors. I put it into RockSim, but for some reason, RockSim refuses to fly it.

Where did you find the RockSim file? I am about to finish mine, but I changed mine to be able to use three 24mm x 90mm motors. I put it into RockSim, but for some reason, RockSim refuses to fly it.
I don't remember where I got it, but can go you one better.

Attachments

• oop_estes_Geo_Sat_LV.rkt
    116.4 KB · Views: 1
I thought I would stage the few rockets I have that still need some or all paint and finishing to be completed. I thought I would then primer the few that needed it, and determine which ones to start masking or otherwise prep to get them finished. I knew I had more than a few, but I still have to laugh at what is now my official paint pile. I even feel bad that I put some off as long as I have that I need to repair a tower here and there, some CWF still needs to be removed, some primer needs its first sanding, etc. I'm going to need a new mantra... "complete the build, complete the build, fly the rocket, but complete the build..."

IMG_1068.jpg

I even feel bad that I put some off as long as I have that I need to repair a tower here and there, some CWF still needs to be removed, some primer needs its first sanding, etc. I'm going to need a new mantra... "complete the build, complete the build, fly the rocket, but complete the build..."
Right there with you buddy.
Plus my box of damaged rockets, most of which can be easily repaired. It's been lying dormant for months. I just throw in the newly damaged ones on top. :D

Right there with you buddy.
Plus my box of damaged rockets, most of which can be easily repaired. It's been lying dormant for months. I just throw in the newly damaged ones on top. :D
I didn't include the ones that just need decals, or clear coat only either... and PLEASE let's not talk about the repair pile... :cheers:

Golly gee, I got some rocket stuff out today! The painted model is one my boy designed 4 years ago and it's almost done. I want to get the Nike apache finished for LDRS this year. Way too many hobbies (that's what the picture is illustrating) and not enough time! View attachment 459492
Looks loke rocketry, RC Buggies, wood turning (faceplate on log under bench) and reloading looks about right to me.....

Today I finished a TeePee. After I saw SoonerBoomer's I wanted one also. My version is 29" tall and weighs 13 ounces with a chute. The body tube is 29mm. I just added a 29mm retainer. The legs are 3/8th dowels and the ring is a piece of 4" body tube. I also put primer on my version of an Alien Space Probe, that I first saw on BigDaddy's thread. Thanks for the inspiration guys. And I've been trying to decide what color to paint another rocket.

Attachments

• 20210410_163255[364].jpg
    20210410_163255[364].jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 22
  • 20210410_223102[374].jpg
    20210410_223102[374].jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 23
Clearing junk from my shop, opened a small metal ammo box, found a 29mm 40/120 casing, two G64 reloads, and a bag of about 20 ematches, none of which I remember buying.

Best -- Terry

"Of all the things I've lost in life, I miss my mind the most"
I would tell you about all the times I have done this, but i don't remember...

Clearing junk from my shop, opened a small metal ammo box, found a 29mm 40/120 casing, two G64 reloads, and a bag of about 20 ematches, none of which I remember buying.
That's like doing laundery and finding a twenty crumpled in the machine that must have been your pocket.

Flew my first Aerotech RMS reload ever--the D15T. I was pretty surprised at how much faster off the pad it is than the D12, though I wouldn't have been if I'd looked at the thrust curve. It was a pretty light rocket and it just teleported.

These were new old stock, like 15 years old. Thanks to many "Are these still OK to fly" threads, I wasn't worried about swelled grains, though I did learn some things about installing spacer liners. There was a bit of swearing when I first assembled the motor a couple of weeks ago. I also replaced the Copperhead with a Firstfire Micro (a little boosted with Duco cement and black powder) and shaved a bit of propellant at the igniter location.

All good fun and I have another 4 of these at least to fly.

Flew my first Aerotech RMS reload ever--the D15T. I was pretty surprised at how much faster off the pad it is than the D12, though I wouldn't have been if I'd looked at the thrust curve. It was a pretty light rocket and it just teleported.

That was my first RMS reload (and first composite motor ever) and I had the same impression. Just wow, the rocket was GONE! A completely different experience from the D12s I was used to.

Cleared a bunch of stuff yesterday and primed my cluster motor project. Took a family photo of these three. These two parents have big dreams for their child.

Attachments

• IMG_20210411_152553943 (1).jpg
    IMG_20210411_152553943 (1).jpg
    163.3 KB · Views: 7
Indeed. And all the les surprised if you'd looked at the two thrust curves together. (I'm really loving that feature in the current version of ThrustCurve.org.)
1618243042221.png

Sitting in hospital post-op working out how to make the relevant NMEA strings to test my antenna tracker. Should be able to do it in Excel, including generating the checksum bytes.

That's impressive. Most patients in post-op are hard pressed to dribble.

Today I finished a TeePee. After I saw SoonerBoomer's I wanted one also. My version is 29" tall and weighs 13 ounces with a chute. The body tube is 29mm. I just added a 29mm retainer. The legs are 3/8th dowels and the ring is a piece of 4" body tube. I also put primer on my version of an Alien Space Probe, that I first saw on BigDaddy's thread. Thanks for the inspiration guys. And I've been trying to decide what color to paint another rocket.

You don't know how amazing it feels to have one of my ideas be the inspiration for someone else! Really great! Hope you enjoy flying it!

Back