What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kinda what I've been thinking. 18mm tubes. Even with an A and two 1/2As it'll go damn high.
How about 13 mm adapters and ¼As?

I think it would be easier to fill the plates and fins separately before gluing them together.
Oh heck yeah. The seams between the two pieces of fin plate you'd be a fool to deal with with the fin in the way.

Holy crap! 942 of 1032 is 91%. What am I missing?
Nothing. It was a serious slog to get to that point. Probably 8 hours of work. The remaining 90 parameters are going to take much greater divining of the values than most of what has already been dealt with, and they are the more critical values that the control systems depend on for a successful flight.

Thanks. It's a scratch build. I borrowed the fin design from the Mach1 65mm plan and went from there. I wanted something fairly simple as this was my 1st experience with rail buttons, ttw fins, and epoxy fillets not to mention my 1st mpr build. So far, no major snags....fingers crossed.

Primary color done. Next up is the red detail, probably mid week.

View attachment 454063
Smart idea to test with this nice sounding design. What size motor do you plan to use on its maiden flight?

Glued on the fin plates of the SLS Arcas.
Dry fitted one fin.
I think it would be easier to fill the plates and fins separately before gluing them together.
Still sanding the fin tapers. Cough cough.
View attachment 454077

And need to glue on the hex bolt heads.
Laters.
Glued on the fin plates of the SLS Arcas.
Dry fitted one fin.
Still sanding the fin tapers. Cough cough.
View attachment 454077

And need to glue on the hex bolt heads.
Laters.
Wow! These fins are not coming off at all. What is the rockets length?

Oh wow that’s really cool. So you remember this kit well. That’s great !!! How does she fly pretty well ? Thanks for sharing ,it’s a cool looking rocket
Your upscale you made is great looking !!
It fly's very well on single stage or using the booster with it. A nice performer. You will love it. It was my first 2 stage rocket. Thanks for the nice comment on my upscale Arcon Hi.

Awesome John. Have you ever used West systems black dye? This rocket will put on a nice show.

This is my first time using the dye. All my other HP rockets are painted, but this one will not be, so I'm probably better off in the looks department by having black epoxy than the default yellow.

Wow! These fins are not coming off at all. What is the rockets length?
It's just surface mounting and glue.
Length is 45.5 inches.
Hey, have you done an Arcon-Hi build thread yet?
I have a Semroc Arcon kit and parts for the booster in the build pile.
Arcon-Hi was OOP last time I checked.

I am just taking baby steps with Ex motors. I mixed up rocket candy and poured some 24mm grains using spent AT 24/40 casting tubes, nozzle, o rings etc.

Screenshot_20210307-195301_Video Player.jpg

I am grateful the motor produced enough thrust to clear the rod at a decent velocity, but man was it a slow flight. I saw it slow and nose over at 100' shortly after burn out. It was a 1.8s burn, was looking for a E30 but it was not anything close to that.

Screenshot_20210307-195317_Video Player.jpg

I had a 808 cam and Raven 3 in the payload section. I will look for video, but it was so slow and low the Raven never armed after launch :(. So I am sure there is no flight data but will look.

~John

Last edited:
It's just surface mounting and glue.
Length is 45.5 inches.
Hey, have you done an Arcon-Hi build thread yet?
I have a Semroc Arcon kit and parts for the booster in the build pile.
Arcon-Hi was OOP last time I checked.
Thanks for the info on your rocket. Arcas is a nice looking rocket. Are you going to paint it to the scale paint scheme? I have an Aerotech model from years ago and it is a great flyer. No, I never did a Build thread on Arcon Hi or my scratch built up scale. I wish I did. I see they are all out of stock of them. It is a fun kit to build and a cool looking rocket. You should hold on to it and build it. Its a good one for any collection.

I am just taking baby steps with Ex motors. I mixed up rocket candy and poured some 24mm grains using spent 24/40 casting tubes, nozzle, o rings etc.

View attachment 454166

I am grateful the motor produced enough thrust to clear the rod at a decent velocity, but mam was it a slow flight. I saw it slow and nose over at 100' shortly after burn out. It was a 1.8s burn, was looking for a E30 but it was not anything close to that.

View attachment 454167

I had a 808 cam and Raven 3 in the payload section. I will look for video, but it was so slow and low the Raven never armed after launch :(. So I am sure there is no flight data but will look.

~John
All nice shots.

Pretty much completed the PowerPoint presentation on the VTS for the next club meeting. Just need to finesse it a bit now.

More work on VTS parameters. Managed to get some more worked out, and I also worked out there were about 100 more that I need to do, so even though I made progress today the percentage done didn't move much at all :( .

Next up is to find the CG after burnout. The locations of the IMUs need to be programmed in, relative to the CG.

Last edited:
I watched the video on YT. Nice time lapse video. Nice launch too! Was it a cluster flight? I noticed how your drink in the glass got smaller and smaller. :) Great job on the build.

hahaha! Yes 1st flight was a cluster of 3xC6-3’s, going to try 5 next :)

Back