What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sure.
The nose cone is Estes #033315.
It is approx. 4 7/8 inches long.
The BT-20 tube is 12 inches long.
Streamer recovery.
Thank you. Pictures were indecipherable. Looks like a straight taper to about a 1/8 dia. from a radius blend to the body tube.
Al S

Today, I lost count of how many coatings the smurf rocket nose cone has. Here’s what I think:

- 1 wood filler
- 2-3 filler primer
- 2-3 stainless steel color (should not have done this here)
- sanded off ss color
- some putty
- 1-2 filler primer
- more putty patches
- 1 filler primer
- more to come

:questions:

At least it‘s getting better. And don’t blame me, I learned most of that on this forum here place.

Still cheaper than buying a catamaran or racing dogs or whatever it is non-rocket people do these days.

Today, I lost count of how many coatings the smurf rocket nose cone has...
It's remarkable and remarkably annoying how so many things can go so smoothly and then one damn thing just fights you all the way. Even when your own mistakes make trouble, you can bet it'll be on that same one damn thing.

Readying virgin rocket number 9 for the month, a scratch build super big bertha intended for electronic deployment practice, ready for paint along with a PML Bull Puppy. Then the FlisKits Tesla (virgin rocket #10 of the month) made it out of the bag and onto the workbench....still figuring out when, how to paint that one.

EDIT: I've just realized I've started basing my definition of a month on the spacing between club launches...this may be problematic...or emblematic...hmmm

Finished a couple more. The first one is a 2.6", 88" long with a 38mm motor mount and weighs 50 ounces. It has two 18" clear tubes for the payload bay. I'll fill that with lights. It is a night flyer. I plan on launching it at our Springfest this month. If I can get it bright enough maybe someone on the freeway will report a UFO over the Jean dry lake bed. The other one is a 3", 46" long and weighs 36 ounces with a 38 mm motor mount. The light ship I'm calling Blaze On and the rocket plane Manta Ray. The tail letters are for Nellis AFB in Las Vegas. That's numbers 112 & 113 scratch builds. And started the next one.

Attachments

• 20210303_012041[247].jpg
    20210303_012041[247].jpg
    129 KB · Views: 20
  • 20210303_233328[252].jpg
    20210303_233328[252].jpg
    210.2 KB · Views: 23
  • 20210303_233342[253].jpg
    20210303_233342[253].jpg
    190.2 KB · Views: 15
Watched SpaceX nail the Starship landing for the first time. Amazing for such a massive craft. That fire at the end sealed the fate of the craft though.

About to watch another SpaceX F9 flight.

Changed the CAD model for my VTS fins to reduce surface area a little. Will get them printed in SLA within the week.

Answered some CAD questions my uni team has on their PCB they are developing for the electronics in their rocket. For a team that has NEVER designed a PCB before they have done an amazing job designing a 4-layer PCB with controlled impedance traces and 30MHz comms on it. It actually looks like a professionally laid-out PCB.

About to formulate a powerpoint presentation on the VTS for our next club meeting.

I uploaded some short clips to youtube of our launches yesterday:
Ryan, you can imbed your YouTube videos in your post.
Click on the Insert icon (three dots with a down arrow)
Click on Media
Then copy and paste the YouTube URL into the "Enter media URL" box.
Great videos by the way. Your daughter is a sweetie.

Click on the Insert icon (three dots with a down arrow)
Click on Media
Then copy and paste the YouTube URL into the "Enter media URL" box.
Better yet: use some simple video editing SW on your phone to compile into a single video.

Great videos by the way. Your daughter is a sweetie.
💯

Better yet: use some simple video editing SW on your phone to compile into a single video.

100% lazy on my part. I got home after the park and internet was out, I was so antsy to post videos that I just slapped up 20 second clips. I'll edit them together and upload a final one. :)

When I get a longer video I will absolutely embed it! Thanks for the tip.

Last edited:
I have several camo rockets. Just use a bright parachute.
Reminds me of a guy down in Florida. Painted his rocket green but used a white and orange parachute. Only problem was the rocket drifted into an orange tree orchard. Green leaves, white bloosoms and orange fruit. Don't remember if he found it.

Back