What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Still on vacation. Stopped at CO springs last night.

Drove through Garden of the Gods this morning

20210222_091342.jpg received_482367236113182.jpeg

Swung by Apogee on the way out of town
20210222_094136.jpg

And took a slight detour to Green River Utah to grab a new profile pic on the very same dinosaur I mounted as an IREC competitor in college. We saw the Athena missile and Loki display in the park while we were there too.

received_716620465677209.jpegreceived_172404104467669.jpeg
20210222_205725.jpg

Drove through Garden of the Gods this morning

That's a beautiful place, I'd love to go back and explore more.

And took a slight detour to Green River Utah to grab a new profile pic on the very same dinosaur I mounted as an IREC competitor in college.

Ah, so that is why your pic improved in resolution. It seems to me that your avatar has slowly improved in quality over the years.

My flight at work canceled this afternoon, so I was able to fill some pinholes on my AI38 nose cone and do some more electronics work. I also did some design tweaks on a sport 38mm MD rocket I'm working on.

My son asked me, "what's the biggest rocket motor?" So, we had a great time looking through different rockets & their motors, from tiny Estes rockets through high power, then on to "what's the biggest missile you shot in the Air Force" then through the AG-class Saturn V and beyond. Good times.

We're itching for a rocket launch over here.

Finished scratch build # 107. It's a 2.6", 58" long, weighs 42 ounces with chute and has a 38mm mmt. I'm calling this one AAM-107 RAAMER, Radar guided Air to Air Missile Extended Range. I've had this camo pattern running around in my head for awhile. I just needed something appropriate to put it on. Number 108 got it's second color on today. It should be done in a day or two if the wind cooperates.

Attachments

• 20210222_220350[225].jpg
    20210222_220350[225].jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 17
  • 20210222_220418[224].jpg
    20210222_220418[224].jpg
    223.7 KB · Views: 17
Repaired a 3” zipper on my “Parts Bucket Dive” while contemplating the background clutter.

View attachment 451984

That's not really clutter by my measure. My problem seems to be flat surfaces (tables) that collect.....stuff. I have a rocket area that needs some policing--and possibly some extermination, or yard selling.

I wish my mancave was as well insulated as yours. Mine's air-conditioned and heated, but some better insulation would be worthwhile.

Nice job on the rocket repairs.

That's not really clutter by my measure. My problem seems to be flat surfaces (tables) that collect.....stuff. I have a rocket area that needs some policing--and possibly some extermination, or yard selling.

My wife claims that any flat surface in my workshop will soon be cluttered beyond all usefullness. But that's because I'm working on so many things - at once! Usually because I can't figure out how to fix'em...

My wife claims that any flat surface in my workshop will soon be cluttered beyond all usefullness. But that's because I'm working on so many things - at once! Usually because I can't figure out how to fix'em...

My only savior is that one of my tables is portable and is the one I take to launches, so I HAVE to clean it before going to a launch. I have tended to use it more than my nice work benches, which seem to be buried.

That applies to my flat surfaces AND my wife's flat surfaces in her quilting room and other places in the house.
Flat surfaces are designed to put things on...including the flat floor.

Forget "Pseudarcas". That's the winner.

The tossup is now between Arcas Falsus and Anarcas. Tough choices. I really liked Pseudarcas. While I have the utmost respect for the RSO and LCO at my club, they've had a hard time pronouncing some of my naming choices in the past. So I fear that Pseudarcas might just cause a stroke.

The build moves along. I need to finish up on the last 2 epoxy fillets. So far the new building skills are coming along without any major catastrophes. The one potential problem occurred in the installation of the rail buttons. I drew the alignment line exactly between 2 fins to make sure I'd have the proper clearance. When cutting the BT to accept the fins, I placed the right edge of the 3/16" thick fin on the fin alignment line then marked the left edge of the fin tab on the BT and made the cut. I failed to take that into account and shift the rail button alignment line 3/16" to the left when I installed the backing nuts. So it's going to be a little tight to the side of one of the fins. I have a short section of 10/10 rail on the way so I will be able to determine if I'm going to have an issue well before the maiden launch.

IMG_2071.JPG

Well, I just did some picking at this over the last week or so out of curiosity. I've mentioned that my 2 yr. old grandson wants to watch the Space Shuttle and "Moon Rocket" launches every time he comes to visit. Eventually my wife got curious and was finally amazed by it all. And her brother started asking questions. And I've been wanting to try it anyway. So to make a ridiculously wordy intro even longer, I pulled out my Saturn V Haynes manual, got the actual masses, thrust, and mass flow rates, and wrote out the acceleration vs. time equation for the vertical segment and integrated it a couple of times and by gum, near as anything calculated the time to clear the tower at 10 sec. Very simple first steps into flight and vehicle dynamics, but I was tickled that such a simple shot at it could get such respectable results!

Last edited:
One more. Completed assembly this afternoon.
Modified Apogee-roc, a design by Scott Rudisill in the May 1970 issue of Model Rocketry.
Mods:
The fin design was super pointy, and I had a set of Baby Bertha fins left over from a kitbash so I used them.
Also no fin template included in the plan.
The design uses motor eject and no recovery system. Seems too heavy for tumble or featherweight recovery so added three streamers.
Did not have three of the same nose cones so used three different ones. Hey, look at my signature.
0223211744[1].jpg0223211744a[1].jpg
Laters.

Last edited:
Back