What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have the 18mm WAC by ASP with Tiny Tim booster. The one you show is it the 24 mm version by ASP? This is going to be a nice looking bird along with your other ones. The yellow version is nice.View attachment 447650View attachment 447650

Hey Arcon, good looking bird you have there yourself!

The one I'm working on is from Semroc. It's got an 18mm mount but it is a bit bigger than the ASP version Sustainer is just under 20" itself. (The Semroc version doesn't have the booster).

The old WAC is one of my favorites. I was never without the old Estes version when I was a kid. Got a four inch version all planned out too... :cool:

How did you like the ASP kit? I've been looking at several of their kits for a long time but haven't tried one yet.

That's -14 and I am glad it hasn't happened this year! Makes farm life bad.

Not sure why the quark doesn't tip much in the wind but may be due to high sweep and the motor being close to unloaded Cg. Either way it's a nice sport flyer. The plywood laminated balsa fins and balsa nose cone are getting a little rough though. No room for a chute release.

Cheers / Robert

Hey Arcon, good looking bird you have there yourself!

The one I'm working on is from Semroc. It's got an 18mm mount but it is a bit bigger than the ASP version Sustainer is just under 20" itself. (The Semroc version doesn't have the booster).

The old WAC is one of my favorites. I was never without the old Estes version when I was a kid. Got a four inch version all planned out too... :cool:

How did you like the ASP kit? I've been looking at several of their kits for a long time but haven't tried one yet.
Hi Mugs, thank you for the nice comment. You can make a Booster for the Saros if you like. That would make the build more challenging. When I was a kid,we also had the Estes WAC. A fun rocket to have and watch fly. I hope you post the 4 inch version. That will be nice to see. The Rocketarium Kits are fun to build and come packaged in their own box with a photo sticker of the rocket. I like how they have the Engine mount assembly and other assemblys packaged in small plastic bags. Nothing gets lost or mixed up and the instructions are well read. I also have the Skyflash model that is 24mm mount. That is waiting to be built. You should try one,they have some nice impressive birds from eRockets. I posted some of their kits for you.

Attachments

• Rocketarium_Sky_Flash_rocket__95621.1506101179.1280.1280 (1).jpg
    Rocketarium_Sky_Flash_rocket__95621.1506101179.1280.1280 (1).jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 5
  • Rocketarium_VK7_Viking_7_rocket__26247.1506101179.1280.1280.jpg
    Rocketarium_VK7_Viking_7_rocket__26247.1506101179.1280.1280.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 6
  • rocketarium-hydra-sandhawk.jpg
    rocketarium-hydra-sandhawk.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Flew with a scout troop here and did some demo MPR flights. Launched 2.6 Quark upscale on a G79W7 and G80T7. Quark displayed it's quantum tree dodging ability and landed in an old railroad yard in a thornbush and next to a park pavilion. 1750' and 2100' by Rocksim and 500mph on the G80. With 80+ kids there, no long recovery walks - they raced to recovery! Started out at 14 degrees so chilly morning. View attachment 447708View attachment 447709
Nice shots and the Blue Thunder flame looks amazing! Almost looks like the Dreaded Big Daddy! I have a Daddy and love the flights. Short and stubby rockets look cool.

LG~

Bought a $7 Husky tool box, so we have something to store the engines, igniters, plugs, and wadding in for our upcoming second ever launch with the kids.

While watching Green Bay's rather depressing performance for the NFC title, I got some stuff done.

Moved the larger rockets back off the guest bed. Space is used pretty well now.

20210124_152229.jpg

Put in some bamboo skewer reinforcement to the Starbiter and filled up the ebay.

20210124_191752.jpg

Why am I doing all this nonsense to a Star Orbiter? Because a club friend and I are drag racing on I205s!

received_2136736486463928.jpeg

Sanded a previously painted 4" Goblin and started Sputnik 1 payload.

Does anybody else deploy model satellites as payload?

Can you make different types of rocket parts with 3D?
Heck yeah. And no. You can make really complex shapes with great precision by 3D printing them. Things that one might make with card stock (if the strength sufficient) or by carving wood, or a vacuum forming rig (which means making forms by one method or another) or by other means. Those methods are harder; that kind of wood carving, for example, is a highly skilled and time consuming hobby all its own.

So are these parts impossible to make by other means? No. Yet they are as good as impossible for a lot of us who are interested in building rockets and not very interested in mastering other crafts to do it.

Here's a different take: one might say the same about many model building skills. If one wants a body tube of a non-standard diameter then one must roll it oneself. Each of us must make his/her own decision about where rocket making ends and some other craft begins. The CAD work that comes before hitting the "Print" button is a also a new skill to be learned. 3D printing is a very powerful tool. Still just one of many, yet such a powerful one that it opens doors that are otherwise closed for many (most?) of us.

I could glue two body tubes side by side, but there's no way other than 3D printing for me to make this nose cone.
1611586004380.png

9.7 oz w/o the T3, so call it 11oz dry. In a BT-60 :D

Thrustcurve is real optimisic calling it 7k' at 1275 ft/s
Openrocket is perhaps more realistic 5.5k', but 1400 ft/s

What it shall be, only time shall see!

What's the betting in finding the speed of balsa? You might have mentioned fin reinforcement, but it's slipped my memory if you have.

What's the betting in finding the speed of balsa? You might have mentioned fin reinforcement, but it's slipped my memory if you have.

A certainty! The stock fins are marginal on a G80 (seems to be assembly technique dependant, some work, others shred)

I laminated 1/32 Basswood on each side with TBII pressed flat between textbooks. Super stiff and light!
Same thing I did to my 3" BMS School('d) rocket fins for flying on Pro24 6 grain motors

When is this scheduled to take place? Sounds like a lot of fun, and should be some good video.

When we're both ready which thanks to the rain could be our February launch. (14th?)

I'm doing electronics and tracker with the basswood laminate, he's going barebones and just using a streamer with light glassed fins.

Video? Probably just a blink-and-miss 'Pzhoot!' and then blue sky

I've thought about laminating fin materials in order to create a constrained damping layer. I wonder if that PVA would have any effect in damping flutter.
What an interesting idea. Never mind PVA, what about laminating, off the top of my head, 1/16 plywood over 1/16 hard rubber? Or, when more strength is needed (i.e. and higher speed) 1/16 plywood in the center, 1/16 rubber sandwiching that, and then FG or CF on the outside? And while rubber is quite lossy, there are certainly better damping materials, and maybe one could get ahold of some. (There's a material called SMRD [pronounced "smerd"] that was invented by GE for damping of acoustic frequency vibrations in spacecraft structures; I don't know 1) if it's effective at lower frequencies [which I bet it is] or 2) if it's available to the public [which I bet it isn't].)

That's quite interesting. And you have to love *anything* called "smerd".

I do wonder, though, if fin flutter isn't pretty much a solved problem in the vast majority of cases, with existing composite techniques. The sort of sandwich you're describing would certainly be as much work as doing the composites.

Back