What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Amazing Point and Mars Lander kits landed on my porch yesterday . I am currently working on the Point. I bought these from Jon Rockets.

I will make an unsolicited testimonial for Jon Rockets. Jon Rockets will be my new go to place for model rocketry. They are located in central Florida and I am on the west coast of Florida. Online orders usually arrive within a week. Some out of state vendors usually takes longer. Estes is the exception. I don't know how they do it, but it is fast. JR Prices are a little higher than some of the other vendors, but there is free shipping in Florida for orders over $20. So it comes out in the wash on small orders. On one order I asked for expedited service after the order was placed. JR policy states that the customer should request expedited delivery at the time the order is placed, and they will try to comply, no guarantees. My order was expedited anyway any arrived in 2 -3 days. On this order, right after I placed my order, I used email to request a sticker. The email was promptly answered and he sent 2 stickers. These are good people, please consider ordering from them.
20201204_113654.jpg20201204_140429.jpg

It's a small design element, and I know it's not unique, but I just gotta say it. I really like the region of the fins' trailing edge-root edge-boat tail corner. The way the root edge extends below what would be the bottom of the rocket if not for the boat tail, making this short little separated bit. I just like that look.

The details on the Estes "D" Region Tomahawk are amazing. I was going to post a picture of the original rocket and compare it to the Estes model, but the only record relating to the "D" version is that it was launched from Wallops Island by NASA back in 1968. No pictures that I can find of that rocket, but there are thousands of pic's of models, and a few blurry shots of the "Nike" version from back in the 60's

This actually happened a couple weeks ago, but I've been procrastinating. A new guy was hired on at work, and I was talking to him one night about my model rocket interest. He mentions that he was into rockets about 20 years ago and has flown LPR/MPR at Blackrock. I ask him to send me some pictures of his rockets and this is what he sent. He said he has more, but they are packed away.

x-wing.jpg

This actually happened a couple weeks ago, but I've been procrastinating. A new guy was hired on at work, and I was talking to him one night about my model rocket interest. He mentions that he was into rockets about 20 years ago and has flown LPR/MPR at Blackrock. I ask him to send me some pictures of his rockets and this is what he sent. He said he has more, but they are packed away.

View attachment 441122
The Green and Black rocket looks similar to the 24mm 3 fin 3 tube engine mount NCR Replica 2650 that came out about 1990.( My photo ). I have one. replica 2650.pngHis pictured in your thread is a 4 fin 4 tube engine mount. You can do many engine configurations with his 4 tube model.

The details on the Estes "D" Region Tomahawk are amazing. I was going to post a picture of the original rocket and compare it to the Estes model, but the only record relating to the "D" version is that it was launched from Wallops Island by NASA back in 1968. No pictures that I can find of that rocket, but there are thousands of pic's of models, and a few blurry shots of the "Nike" version from back in the 60's
Here are some photos that I have.tomahawk.jpgtomahawk_dr_1.jpg

Got fin #5 on my 4" black fly yesterday (I did one per night)

I did the first of the 5 fillets (2 actually; one per side) 4 more days of fillets, then sanding & bondo time.. then the rest of the build.. then "Head end" or "no head end" deploy..

Sprayed some 2K Clear glamor on Slick Willy today. Went out around 1 pm and suited up with full coverage clothing, my Harbor Freight P95 respirator, a hoodie and a face shield. I've used this epoxy paint before, so I knew that you have to separate the parts or risk gluing them together, so I had the N/C, avbay, payload tube and fincan set up ready to spray before I pushed the red button on the can to mix the catalyst with the paint.
This rattle can has a great tip on it and fans the paint out for most excellent results:

2020-12-05 Slick Willy.jpg

Still had a bit left in the can, so I went back out later and put another coat on the nosecone, and finished up the can on my DS Jr. nosecone, which I had recently repainted.
2020-12-05 Slick Willy NC.jpg
It's hard to tell how nice and wet this stuff looks, even after drying for several hours, but I'm very pleased with the results.

I came back in a while ago and noticed that I had a tingling sensation on the back of my hands and face. Realized that when I finished up the can that I had failed to add the double layer of gloves, facemask and hoodie. Immediately got up and took a shower, which reduced the tingling but still feeling it an hour later. So I looked up Isocyanate exposure and realized that I need to be more careful using this stuff:

2020-12-05 Slick Willy 2K.jpg
Went on Amazon and ordered a new respirator and OV/P100 cartridges.
So if I don't post up anything after today, it was nice knowing you all. 🏴‍☠️

Had my rocketry hopes dashed by Ma' Nature this morning.

Today was a scheduled launch day for the local club (SEVRA), and I fully intended to head out to their field for inaugural flights on my Sprint clone, Long Tom, and a Semroc Iris that I finished up the night prior. Unfortunately we had rains come through in the night, and the winds this morning were gusting 20's to 30's so club officers made the decision to scrub. Next launch day is scheduled for the 19th... 🤞

Posted photos of the Iris in the Scale gallery to do at least something rocketry related.

I got back from another work trip tonight & needed to relax to some rocketry.

Much against the “perfect is the enemy of good enough” mantra, I’m sanding the fillets on my AI38 tonight. When you lay Proline 4500 fillets they’re glossy smooth looking. I plan to paint these fillets, so I’m getting them ready for that. Once Proline 4500 is sanded, it has a cool metallic look.

Getting there...

10E9C052-A9EC-44F3-A8EA-AD72FEFEF125.jpeg

Also trying to figure out a good way to clamp this launch lug when I epoxy it in place. I don’t want to use screws. The opposite fin makes any normal garage clamp not fit. Hmmm.

4FDDF3D2-44F9-43BC-B333-E8FAED6C2173.jpeg

Last edited:
Did a quick resto on a Custom Razor. It had seen better days. Just did the basics. Filled the gaps between the tube fins, Painted the insides of the tube fins, New launch lug, Fixed a minor dent in the body. Internally it got a Kevlar leader and about 4ft of 1/8 elastic cord. Everything was premiered, sanded then painted with Krylon Pumpkin Orange.

Next I finally did the decals on my Puma. I hate water slide so much that I put this off for over a year. It's been sitting one the side of the bench collecting dust since Sept 2019. Finally did the decals and added a tail number cut from vinyl.

Will stick more pics of the Puma in the Gallery section.

Attachments

• IMG_9363.jpg
    IMG_9363.jpg
    168.8 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_9364.jpg
    IMG_9364.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_9370.jpg
    IMG_9370.jpg
    195.1 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_9373.jpg
    IMG_9373.jpg