What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This was at a big grassy field on Route 9 just outside of Dennisville that is just a few minutes from Cape May . I put in Cape May because I dont think many people know of Dennisville New Jersey.
I was curious because whenever we’re in cape may I wonder where I’d fly rockets if I lived there. :)

Is there a standard bit of rocketry slang for "flaming fireball of death"?
I think you came up with a good new usable slang term in Rocketry. We have the terms , "Lawn Dart" ,Ballistic , Land Shark, etc. "Flaming Fireball of Death" is now in the List of slang sayings. Thumbs up . I like it. However , I hope that saying won't be said much in future launches. LOL. ;) .

Last edited:
I was curious because whenever we’re in cape may I wonder where I’d fly rockets if I lived there. :)
I was a great field. Spectators where pulling over to watch all the flights we had that day. Have not been there in years. We were visiting relatives that weekend who flew rockets too. So we made a day of it.

Modified a fincan design off Thingiverse and 3D printed my 6-fin setup for this modified Hi-Flier XL.

The balsa fins that come with the Hi-Flier XL weigh about 8.9g each. This 3D printed fincan weighs 14.8g total. The stability numbers look good, so it should make for a fun test of these fins.
5EAFD120-5BE6-4C44-8CDA-6B8F4FAABFF3.jpeg4824B05B-07B1-41E0-B7B8-9970D78A99EA.jpegA4BEE431-1207-4FE4-BA6A-C1476B585349.jpeg

Last edited:
Here is a nice NCR Kit from the late 80's the Big Brute. 29mm , 4.0 body tube, 35 inch long sport model. Very rugged model and stable flight. This flight the chute went over the power lines and hung there for about 10 minutes and slipped over the lines and landed on the ground. No damage. Taken in Tamarac, Florida. At Ignition you can here the plastic ignitor cap pop off from the engine firing.
View attachment big brute.mp4

Last edited:
Got my Formula 98 kit from Composite Warehouse.
Nicely done. Well packaged.

I own probably 2/3rds of the RW/CW/MadCow fiberglass kit line, either built and flown, or still in boxes.
This is the first one where the entire fin set has been perfectly matched and not one being a 'little off' enough to want a new fin. (I have 3 sets of 38mm Go Devil fins where NO TWO of them are even close!)

Formula 98.jpg

Got my Formula 98 kit from Composite Warehouse.
Nicely done. Well packaged.

I own probably 2/3rds of the RW/CW/MadCow fiberglass kit line, either built and flown, or still in boxes.
This is the first one where the entire fin set has been perfectly matched and not one being a 'little off' enough to want a new fin. (I have 3 sets of 38mm Go Devil fins where NO TWO of them are even close!)

View attachment 439036
I got mine yesterday, in blue. Perfect fins, but the fin slots need to be squared off. They appear to be the correct dimension, just the bit used to cut left the corners rounded.

I got mine yesterday, in blue. Perfect fins, but the fin slots need to be squared off. They appear to be the correct dimension, just the bit used to cut left the corners rounded.
That's normal since they're CNC cut with a round bit. Fiberglass kits define 'builder' when it comes to rocketry.

That's normal since they're CNC cut with a round bit. Fiberglass kits define 'builder' when it comes to rocketry.
My Lotus 5 slots are perfect. Definitely a focus on building with these kits. Have to clear the bench and repair a small zipper from my L1 cert. flight before I go to fay. It's just too good of a deal to pass when these kits are half off.

Black Aero box arrived... All went well with the assembly until I got to the GPS unit. The holes for the screws that hold down the GPS unit are way to big (no thread grab whatsoever). So, I filled the holes with epoxy, drilled pilot holes, and all was right with the world again. Made a small addition though...
Eggfinder.Receiver.jpg
That handle is not coming off unless the batteries need to be changed out, not just charged.

Last edited:
Modified a fincan design off Thingiverse and 3D printed my 6-fin setup for this modified Hi-Flier XL.

The balsa fins that come with the Hi-Flier XL weigh about 8.9g each. This 3D printed fincan weighs 14.8g total. The stability numbers look good, so it should make for a fun test of these fins.
View attachment 438982

...and its great work such as that which makes me regret my complete lack of 3D/CAD skills. 🤢

Got in some nice launches today with my CT club
Zephyr rocket got some air time on a cti H motor
Little dude and myself sprinting to try for the rocket catch lol

Attachments

• FFA8B2A4-3FD1-4A34-BD44-B76278C99706.png
    FFA8B2A4-3FD1-4A34-BD44-B76278C99706.png
    307.3 KB · Views: 27
  • DD8F3090-23E0-45F8-BBE2-0D31E108F505.png
    DD8F3090-23E0-45F8-BBE2-0D31E108F505.png
    292.6 KB · Views: 26
Getting ready for tomorrow flights. Hope it's a good one. Aerotech Arcas, NCR Aerobee Hi , LOC Little Nuke , Arcon II. All 29mm mounts.

Attachments

• DSCF3592.JPG
    DSCF3592.JPG
    50.8 KB · Views: 11
Needed a down and dirty launch pad for the grandkids...
01.01.Launch Rod Assembly.jpg
A trip to Harbor Freight, Lowe's, and the local hobby shop...
01.02.Launch Rod Assembly.jpg
1/4" hole through the center, polish and thread, drill and tap, and insert the knob...
01.03.Launch Rod Assembly.jpg
Screw on the blast deflector, insert a launch rod (up to 1/4"), and tighten the knob. Assembled...
01.04.Launch Rod Assembly.jpg
Remove the material rest from the stand, slip in the launch rod, and tighten.

Ready to go.

Laughed the 2 stage multi-roc for the first time. Surface winds were almost none but it looked like it got a little weathercocked when it cleared tree height. The launch lug for the little glider got torn off. Actually not sure how it flew. But my son watched it while I tracked the sustainer. Everything happened so quickly. I modified the kit and put streamer recovery on the booster and sustainer and both worked well. My "bent disk" toothpicked baffle worked perfectly!

We also launched but one of the foot pads was broke off. That was a mistake. Having 2 foot pads acted like rudders and made the rocket fly horizontal. I also noticed the 3 piece Estes launch pad rail had the upper section on the ground. So the other possibility is that the rocket grabbed the rail and that disoriented the flight? I think I will buy a different launch rail from the hardware store. Thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_20201115_121525.jpg
    IMG_20201115_121525.jpg
    187.9 KB · Views: 19
  • 28dc779a5d36ba596a3aab170955cc43.image.180x180.jpg
    28dc779a5d36ba596a3aab170955cc43.image.180x180.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 18
Thanks
It was a lot of fun and a lot of good people there .
We enjoy going there a lot
And more events to come is something to look forward too. Keeps the love for the Hobby in us. Also, when we take an old rocket or broken one that we fix up,it brings the love back in to the rocket.

20201122_094937.jpg
Assessed yesterday's rainy windy club launch
Total flights:10
Rockets flown: Centurion, Nike Smoke, PSC Infinity, Goblin (scratch built clone), Everglades Mosquito
Engines used: B6-4, C6-5
Damage: PSC Infinity and Centurion fin broke and cracked respectively, both repaired, Everglades Mosquito MM shifted forward. The MM has been removed and will be replaced.
Rockets lost: Goblin. Drifted too far on last C6-5.

All in all, a small price to pay for a delightful day despite the dicey weather.

Disassembled a 2-grain Research motor that had been sitting for a week. (Go ahead and yell at me, I deserve it). Aft closure didn't want to come out. The end is badly pitted but if memory serves it was pitted when I assembled it.

Finished building my replacement 220 Swift (still need to paint). Also designed and printed (3d in PETG) a couple micromaxx to 13mm motor adapters for use in the 220 Swift and other models. I had planned on painting some models that are in need, but weather wasn't at all what was forecast a few days ago (supposed to be sunny and low 60's....instead we had rain and upper 40's :( ).

Back