What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Began work on 3 rockets: a 220 Swift (boy is it tiny!), an Estes Tigres (looks to be a HL exclusive....I'm planning on using it as an alternate booster for the digital Astrocam) and a Custom Fiesta that was in my unbuilt inventory from a decade ago. Only setback so far is lack of plastic cement....thought sure I had some, but alas do not. Will have to pick up some tomorrow. In the meantime, doing everything I can that involves white glue. It feels good to be building kits again, working with balsa and paper :) (plastic's ok too, but not quite the same sense of craftsmanship).

Blew up a GPS module connecting it to my flight computer :(. New one ordered, with integrated compass too.

Managed to get an OLED display hooked up to it and working. Cute little 0.96" thing.

Diving more into Ardupilot. It looks like I will need to hack the firmware for the functionality I need. It doesn't have much in the way of general purpose inputs that are usable out-of-the-box.

Last edited:
Received the LED for the Rising Star nose cone. Replaced the initial stuffer tube with one a tad larger, and added a platform to raise the LED into the nose a little more. I decided to paint/chrome, so I masked off two stripes for hot glue purposes and primed and then painted black today.

IMG_9095.JPGIMG_9097.JPGIMG_9101.JPGIMG_9103.JPGIMG_9105.JPGIMG_9109.JPGIMG_9111.JPG

Started work on a modified lotus 5 . I cut the fins straight up the back where the end of the fin tab stops . The fin shape and size is very similar to the same fin as my favorite loc rocket. Other then the fin mods , it is a 54mm and 3 29mm duel deploy tank . 13 pounds roughly full up before motors.

Attachments

• 20201019_163030_HDR.jpg
    20201019_163030_HDR.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 24
  • 20201019_160731.jpg
    20201019_160731.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 25
  • 20201019_160712.jpg
    20201019_160712.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 21
Got what I hope is the last primer coat on my Estes Nike Smoke.
Wet sanded the fins and tubes on a Viper 3 clone and added a second coat of Rusto 2X dark blue enamel.
Ordered a Stickershock wrap for it and got shipping info. just a bit ago. Mark is amazing!
Pulled all the HPR motors we flew at the SSS G. Harry Stein memorial launch last weekend, and started cleaning cases.

Tried to fly my little sabre parasite glider twice on my guiness record rocket (A8). 1st time the glider hopped off while still on the rod. Slight adjustment of the lug and it held on till apogee.....only to execute a perfect straight flight NW and never to be seen again.

That's how you know it was a really good glider.

Glue on fins, sand NC, paint 3D printed V-2, sand different NC, 3D print parts for another rocket, order from LOC,, made some CR's, mounted rail buttons, thought about flying.

I've only had cardboard tube LPR. I always felt they were part toy part serious firework. I would expect that a good quality fiberglass rocket seems much less the toy. Is the nose tip metallic? That seems so anti-NAR safety code??

It's a level 1 rocket. Falls under High power safety code (read up on the difference)

Over the past few days I’ve been working on a rocket spike project.

I ordered a passle of rocket spikes from Vander-Burn and single spike from Fusion Rocketry.

Being Mr. OCD, I had to sand off the char and “break” the sharp edges. When satisfied with the smooth rounded plywood, I glued the pieces together.

The Scott Binder spike is interesting in that it accommodates 29mm, 38mm, and 54mm tailpipes. Scott is definitely an “outside the box” thinker.

The Vander-Burn spikes do NOT need to be glued together and can be assembled and disassembled as needed but I’m funny like that and mine are permanently assembled.

I recommend gluing the Scott Binder spike together but that’s based on a sample of one. YMMV.

Received several rocketry deliveries ( Eggfinder Apogee, Estes Star Orbiter and upgrade kit from Vander-Burn, miscellaneous items from Binder Fusion for my 3” Thor, and some random “greebles“ from other vendors.)

Over the past few days I’ve been working on a rocket spike project.

I ordered a passle of rocket spikes from Vander-Burn and single spike from Fusion Rocketry.

Being Mr. OCD, I had to sand off the char and “break” the sharp edges. When satisfied with the smooth rounded plywood, I glued the pieces together.

The Scott Binder spike is interesting in that it accommodates 29mm, 38mm, and 54mm tailpipes. Scott is definitely an “outside the box” thinker.

The Vander-Burn spikes do NOT need to be glued together and can be assembled and disassembled as needed but I’m funny like that and mine are permanently assembled.

I recommend gluing the Scott Binder spike together but that’s based on a sample of one. YMMV.

Received several rocketry deliveries ( Eggfinder Apogee, Estes Star Orbiter and upgrade kit from Vander-Burn, miscellaneous items from Binder Fusion for my 3” Thor, and some random “greebles“ from other vendors.)
Don't mean to sound like a dummy (as I am a relatively new BAR), but what do you mean by a "rocket spike"?

Back