What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Broke my own recently established rule about not putting a final clear coat on until at least one successful launch is done. The graduated paint scheme created too much of an orange peel effect, so I gave the LBR2 it's last satin clear coat today to minimize surface drag. This is a purpose built model to fly on the Apogee E6 long burn motors. It sims out at a touch over 2000' so I'm waiting to get a JLCR before I put it up. Should be entertaining to watch!
LBR2.jpg

My mentor at the rocket club told me that the WAC corporal was special to the club. He then pointed to the club emblem, and there it was. That's what I get for not paying attention. That little one is a great sounding rocket. I use it to start my day at the range. I put an A8-3 in it and it goes high enough to figure out the winds, but not so high that I lose it. I base my motor selection for my other rockets on that flight. The black was done with a Sharpe and the tunnel is the straw from lube spray can; looks good in the picture, but don't look too close.

I see the Wac Corporal at the bottom
My mentor at the rocket club told me that the WAC corporal was special to the club. He then pointed to the club emblem, and there it was. That's what I get for not paying attention. That little one is a great sounding rocket. I use it to start my day at the range. I put an A8-3 in it and it goes high enough to figure out the winds, but not so high that I lose it. I base my motor selection for my other rockets on that flight. The black was done with a Sharpe and the tunnel is the straw from lube spray can; looks good in the picture, but don't look too close.

I see the Wac Corporal at the bottom.
Boeing? Full scale? What motor do you use?

Broke my own recently established rule about not putting a final clear coat on until at least one successful launch is done. The graduated paint scheme created too much of an orange peel effect, so I gave the LBR2 it's last satin clear coat today to minimize surface drag. This is a purpose built model to fly on the Apogee E6 long burn motors. It sims out at a touch over 2000' so I'm waiting to get a JLCR before I put it up. Should be entertaining to watch!
View attachment 426786
I’m using Pledge floor gloss now so don’t have to worry about the clear coat messing up the paint.

I took a couple of group photos...
Nice Bertha family.
And soon to be Trivecta family.

Here's my orphan child:
0802201920[1].jpg

Semroc/Estes SPEV clone.
Put together in one evening and one morning.
While the glue/filler/paint was drying on my other builds.
Very important to know how to multi task in this hobby. ;)

The A8-3 is a fun motor to put in a small light rocket. I think I will use it on my Wac's first flight. It was fun watching my old Estes Polaris go up on the A8-3 the other day. Nice to see the flame burning before deployment.

The A8-3 is a fun motor to put in a small light rocket. I think I will use it on my Wac's first flight. It was fun watching my old Estes Polaris go up on the A8-3 the other day. Nice to see the flame burning before deployment.
I can remember thinking (a lifetime ago) that using a B6-4 was taking a risk, and anyone flying a C6-5 was flat out crazy- this was true for any small rocket, which all of mine were at the time... 🤔 :rolleyes::D

Went to Home Depot to buy some build materials for my “Rocket Tray”, Rusto 2X White Primer, Rusto Protective Gloss Enamel in red, and Rusto 2X Apple Red.

The rattlecans are for my Cherokee-H but I haven’t decided wich of the two reds to use for the nosecone yet.

Also bought a small one handed Milwaukee Hackzall ( recip saw ) that runs on the Milwaukee M18 rechargeable battereies I favor. Will be using the saw to shake my rattlecans AND do some lightweight pruning of “volunteer” Liquidamber and Swamp Maple trees trying to establish a foothold in my side yard. Dragging a 100’ long power cord is awkward so battery powered is my go-to solution.

My rocket tray is a 4’ length of aluminum angle supported on rubber bumper feet and lined with thin (1/8”) weather stripping foam tape. I have discovered that it IS possible to join tubes with a coupler and still not get a true alignment of the the two pieces even with epoxy. The tray will act either in the horizontal direction or clamped to the tubes in the vertical direction to ensure a true joint. I can also lay the tray in a rocket cradle if need be.

My Panavia clone tube is about 1/8” or less out of true. Impossible to see but obvious when a straight edge is applied. I’m pretty certain there will be a bit of an arc in the boost. Nothing to worry about but I’ll be able to see it.

The Cherokee-H tubes came out perfectly straight. Yay!

10:30am I measured a tube to determine what nose cone to buy. Got distracted before I could even hit "search" and now its well passed midnight lol.

Went to Home Depot to buy some build materials for my “Rocket Tray”, Rusto 2X White Primer, Rusto Protective Gloss Enamel in red, and Rusto 2X Apple Red.

The rattlecans are for my Cherokee-H but I haven’t decided wich of the two reds to use for the nosecone yet.

Also bought a small one handed Milwaukee Hackzall ( recip saw ) that runs on the Milwaukee M18 rechargeable battereies I favor. Will be using the saw to shake my rattlecans AND do some lightweight pruning of “volunteer” Liquidamber and Swamp Maple trees trying to establish a foothold in my side yard. Dragging a 100’ long power cord is awkward so battery powered is my go-to solution.

My rocket tray is a 4’ length of aluminum angle supported on rubber bumper feet and lined with thin (1/8”) weather stripping foam tape. I have discovered that it IS possible to join tubes with a coupler and still not get a true alignment of the the two pieces even with epoxy. The tray will act either in the horizontal direction or clamped to the tubes in the vertical direction to ensure a true joint. I can also lay the tray in a rocket cradle if need be.

My Panavia clone tube is about 1/8” or less out of true. Impossible to see but obvious when a straight edge is applied. I’m pretty certain there will be a bit of an arc in the boost. Nothing to worry about but I’ll be able to see it.

The Cherokee-H tubes came out perfectly straight. Yay!
Went to Walmart to buy paint but their selection was limited so went to Home Depot and their inventory was worse. I anticipate a large ship of spray paint arriving on the island soon. I've been really happy with Rusto white high gloss but can't find it anywhere.

I've done this with aluminum angle and no padding, since the compression of the padding allows the tubes to move a little. If you don't clamp too hard the angle won't damage the tubes, though polishing the edges might not be a bad idea.

I suggest using either rubber bands or velcro straps for the "clamps". And use two on each tube, since it takes two points of force applied to apply a torque. If you clamp hard in one place then the contact with the angle can provide the other force*, but if you use two then they don't need to be clamped so hard, and the angle's only job is to sit there and be straight.

* A force is a force, of course of course.

Went to Walmart to buy paint but their selection was limited so went to Home Depot and their inventory was worse. I anticipate a large ship of spray paint arriving on the island soon. I've been really happy with Rusto white high gloss but can't find it anywhere.
I imagine sometimes how being on an island might limit local availability of many things at times. My biggest concern with Hawaii would be the limited space for recovery- is there any HPR launching anywhere on Oahu or elsewhere in the state? Retirement planning wants to know... ;)

is there any HPR launching anywhere on Oahu or elsewhere in the state?
Nope. Our club's honcho has to fly to the mainland to launch his big birds.
Ron's pic above is Sandy Beach, where I have lost many low and mid power birds to the golf course or sewage treatment plant across the street, or to the Pacific Ocean.

I can remember thinking (a lifetime ago) that using a B6-4 was taking a risk, and anyone flying a C6-5 was flat out crazy- this was true for any small rocket, which all of mine were at the time... 🤔 :rolleyes::D
You are correct about using a C motor in a small rocket. My friend had a Scout III painted yellow and flew it on a C6-7. It went up on a clear blue sky day and we never saw it again. Forget about seeing the tracking smoke. We calculated @2000 ft.

Your right, we got crazy putting a C motor in a Centuri "Little Hercules" painted black. He went up and the tracking smoke gave him away.What was nice we could keep an eye on him from the glossy paint flickering as he Tumbled down about 200 feet away.
Sometimes I wish I lived in the desert. Or in Kansas.
Me too. I could go out of my home and launch anything anywhere and not to worry about trees.

Latest posts

Back