What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mice eat balsa? Who knew...

That's not even the bad one. I'll get the other one in a week or two. This nose cone wasn't originally much bigger than it is now. It was always a bit stubby but the pics didn't show it well. It couldn't have been a Cherokee.

Last edited:
@o1d_dude Mice eat anything!
Not really, but they do chew everything.
Ground testing the apogee event on my 1/4 scale Viking 7 sounding rocket. I tried 3grams of fffg black powder for the first test and the airframe did not move and I noticed I have a lot of blow by in the ebay to booster connection. It's a snug fit but the weight of the payload is causing a slight sag (1/8" - 3/16") and a air gap on the top of the joint.
Have you considered placing a jack of some sort under the ebay? With the booster supported as shown, you could place a straight edge on it an raise the jack just enough to align things then try with the three (or four) grams you calculated.

Is that a good idea? I don't know, it's just a thought. You'd probably want a towel or something under the ebay to avoid cosmetic damage.

I have thought about testing with the payload bay supported in some way. My initial concern with doing that is am I getting away from the forces that will be on the rocket at apogee?

I will come up with a way to get the Ebay sealed to the booster a little better with out added force to eject it. I have a pressure gauge I can install in the booster to see the actual pressure from the charge.

I could build 2 carts with large bike tires, or 2 wagons, one for the booster and one for the payload and test on a flat parking lot.

~John

Satellite City (the Hunters) was one of the companies early on to market CA glue.

Their product was named “Hot Stuff”.
I am another of the old timers who remembers when Hot Stuff first came out. It was available only in Thin viscosity and there was no accelerator. We had to keep baking soda on hand to sprinkle on to help it set. But even without accelerator there are conditions that make it set fast, such as putting it on porous materials.
Once when I used it I was holding my project out past my knees so I wouldn't drip it on my pants. The drop fell onto the top of my sock, kicked instantly and glued my sock to the second degree burn that it gave me. OUCH!!

I got a white base-coat on 3 rockets: Estes Indicator, Semroc Micron, and a modified design old Estes plan of a Cloudbuster I updated. Sorry - no pics right now.
Steve

Epoxied another Cherokee-H fin to the motor mount.

The third and final fin will be a cluster.

I’m admitting defeat on getting the warps out if the fins. Two of the fins I was able to steam, press, and counter-warp to get at least the fin roots straight. The third fin will never have a straight fin root.

Fortunately, the skews/warps are all in the same direction so I fully expect a roll under power.

Maybe I should add a roll pattern just for fun.

My Estes Doorknob kit finally showed up at quarter to ten this evening. WTF? They knocked on the door and RAN.

Was hoping they would finally deliver my Rx’s that they claim they delivered two weeks ago. Nothing important. Just heart medicine.

I will “go postal” on the USPS someday just for the irony.

Epoxied another Cherokee-H fin to the motor mount.

The third and final fin will be a cluster.

I’m admitting defeat on getting the warps out if the fins. Two of the fins I was able to steam, press, and counter-warp to get at least the fin roots straight. The third fin will never have a straight fin root.

Fortunately, the skews/warps are all in the same direction so I fully expect a roll under power.

Maybe I should add a roll pattern just for fun.

My Estes Doorknob kit finally showed up at quarter to ten this evening. WTF? They knocked on the door and RAN.

Was hoping they would finally deliver my Rx’s that they claim they delivered two weeks ago. Nothing important. Just heart medicine.

I will “go postal” on the USPS someday just for the irony.

o1d Dude,
Sorry for your shippers issues and hope that the meds arrive soon, heck with the stress they cause I can see the Going Postal on the Post Office!! Hope the Doorknob is in good shape though!! On the matter of the Roll under power just call it a Spin Fin and let it rip....

:headspinning: I have the Tomahawk I should have tried to straighten out the fins better but ill say its an issue with onboard computer system these warheads have.. LOL! :headspinning:

Always hope for the best as long as it is safe, Right?

Best of Luck on it
Victor

Okie Dokie - The Goblin is completed, just got 3 more coats of clear on it after decal duty it last night/this morning as I finished up after midnight.. lol Hope she is a good flier, she looks cool....

My pup decided it was a good time to play in the hay while dad was spraying the clear on the rocket .. lol Good news is the breeze blowing the opposite way I was spraying, Jokes on him!!! Bad news im sure he will be getting a bath today :music1::music1:

Now to get back to the Sidewinder Project I started and stopped for the Zephyr and Goblin Builds... Mostly done just a few more trim pieces and she is ready for primer/painting...

What to build next hmmmm... Seriously thinking of splurging on a Fiberglass Park Shooter to try it out... I hear a lot of you folks doing it and enjoying the kits.

Goblin Cleared.jpg

What to build next hmmmm... Seriously thinking of splurging on a Fiberglass Park Shooter to try it out... I hear a lot of you folks doing it and enjoying the kits.

View attachment 423665
Take a look at the SBR L’il Rockets. They’re 29mm motor tube cardboard, plywood fins, and come with full color vinyl wraps, streamer recovery, and sell for under $30. I WILL be buying the L’il Thor.

FusionRocket.biz

If you prefer fiberglass, Mach 1 Rocketry makes some fine kits. I have the Micro Mamba.

Mach1rocketry.com

Loc Precision also has a line of Park Flyers. I have flown LOC since my BARhood began and highly recommend them for cardboard rockets.

Locprecision.com

Well after clear coating the Goblin I couldn’t resist it any longer. Grabbed my oldest son and headed to the school to launch it. I was excited as all get out and praying it came home with us. Nose cone was a bit lose so I put tape on it, maybe to much but the nose cone came out easy by hand, so off it went to he pad. It blew motor out and burnt 1 of the 2 streamers, so needless to say tape comes off and leaving nose cone a bit lose on next launch.
She had a great flight weather was absolutely gorgeous... landed 20 feet from my car and 30-40 feet from launch pad!!! Awesome way to end a day off from work!! Have video to get posted then I’ll share..

Bought more rockets and rocket building tools today.

FusionRocket.biz: L’il Thor (29mm diameter body tube), 3” Thor w 54mm motor tube, no parachute

Badass Rocketry: Build Guide set BT 4-fin guides 1/16” fins, Build Guide 3” HP 4-fin guide 1/8” fins

Then I did some rocket-wrenching.

Even pulled out my old manual calipers to measure some parts. The digital caliper was available but all I needed was a quick and dirty assessment.

Cherokee-H: Sliced the laser cut fin slots and test fit the motor mount with it’s squirrelly warped fins into the body tube. Not pretty but it will work. Now I have to fillet the internal fin/motor tube joints before I install the mount permanently. Pulled out my nose cone/motor mount rotisserie to make the task a bit easier.

Estes Doorknob w VanderBurn upgrades: Did a dry stack assembly to get an idea of what it will look like once assembled. Nice kit...also my first scale model rocket so I’ll be painting it according to real life color scheme instead of my normal flying colors.

I’m running out of rocket spikes. Looks like my next order from @Big_Red_Daddy ( Vander-Burn.com ) will include some of them as well.

Filled out a YouTube copyright claim because someone took my video footage and uploaded it as their own. Seriously, who steals model rocket videos?

Also tapped my toes a bit, waiting on a new high power kit that I'm very excited about to arrive. I'm on the road and looking forward to checking out the kit when I get home.

Back