What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What am I seeing jettison at ignition..Apogee temporary launch lugs? Please be linear in your countdown.......five evenly space seconds/call outs...just my pet peeve.

I see the igniter plug getting spit out and ricocheting off the blast deflector. I also believe on some of the launches @rklapp is using a red Estes motor adapter as a stand off and can see it bouncing into the grass. Reference Honest John launch time stamp 5:58 for example.

Last edited:
Having clearer off my workbench, I filled it up again with rockets in need of repair. First up is this one. I don't remember where it came from (either my kids built it or it was a gift from someone leaving the hobby, or something), but some fins had come off, some I had, but three were missing.

View attachment 422276

The painting was terrible and the decals were either falling off or were only half there. So, rather than just slap on some new fins, I took them all off. Then cut new (basswood) fins, sanded tapers on appropriate edges, sanded the paint (on the fins) to a smoother finish, scraped off the decals, and sanded most of the paint off both the BT and the NC.

View attachment 422277

The end of the BT was a little worn after all the scraping and sanding so it got soaked in a few drops of super glue.
Next, spiral filling (and more sanding)!
After some filling, sanding, a couple coats of primer, more sanding, I'm up to the first coat of paint.

IMG_20200701_203853477_HDR.jpgIMG_20200704_103809480_HDR.jpgIMG_20200705_130912177_HDR.jpg
I also made two new basswood fins for my very veteran Fliskits Triskelion.

IMG_20200705_135938484_HDR.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20200705_130953504.jpg
    IMG_20200705_130953504.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 6
What am I seeing jettison at ignition..Apogee temporary launch lugs? Please be linear in your countdown.......five evenly space seconds/call outs...just my pet peeve.
Yes, engine plug. For smaller rockets, I use a tiny clothes pin to keep the rocket from touching the plate. Tape on the rod was becoming annoying. For larger rockets, I prop it up with the adapter. It’s kinda fun to see it spinning away at launch.

Its funny because I dislike long countdowns. It’s practical purpose for me is to let the cameraman know when to expect the launch.

Said goodbye to my recently built BiSix that I scaled up to a 24mm MMT. Farewell fair BiSix, I hardly "flew" ya.

1st flight w/ D12-7..... caught a crosswind (or so I thought) and immediately went unstable. Hit the ground while still in delay mode, cracking one fin and breaking off another.
2nd flight w/ D12-5 after repairs..... good flight to about 300' when it started corkscrewing pretty badly but made it through the flight and recovery ok. Winds were about 6 to 10 mph, so not out of range for stability according to my sims.

3rd flight w/ C6-5 and motor adapter. Very slight breeze (under 3mph). Weather-cocked noticeably and began it's now normal corkscrewing about 2/3 of the way to apogee. Recovered OK.
4th flight on the same day w/ D12-5. (I knew this would be it's last before I even loaded in the motor) Corkscrew with sever instability started at about 100'. Deployed chute 50' off the ground about 20' from the pad.

So it is now relegated to salvage for whatever usable parts can be had. I must have botched the construction somewhere along the line but everything looked good and the pre and post construction sims all looked nominal. Chalk it up to an unrecognized screwup or simply one of those rockets with a really bad attitude!!

This is one of the next ones that need repair. During one of it's periods of storage, nice ate part of the nose cone. Replacing it should be easy enough, but what the heck is it? I don't remember. It could be a school rocket, or almost anything by Estes or Fliskits, or Balsa Machining. It has an 18mm motor mount and only slightly larger BT.

Look familiar to anyone?

IMG_20200705_181256223_HDR.jpgIMG_20200705_181744840_HDR.jpg

This is one of the next ones that need repair. During one of it's periods of storage, nice ate part of the nose cone. Replacing it should be easy enough, but what the heck is it? I don't remember. It could be a school rocket, or almost anything by Estes or Fliskits, or Balsa Machining. It has an 18mm motor mount and only slightly larger BT.

Look familiar to anyone?

View attachment 423409View attachment 423410
I could be mistaken bot the fin shape looks similar to the Estes Cherokee.

Said goodbye to my recently built BiSix that I scaled up to a 24mm MMT. Farewell fair BiSix, I hardly "flew" ya.

1st flight w/ D12-7..... caught a crosswind (or so I thought) and immediately went unstable. Hit the ground while still in delay mode, cracking one fin and breaking off another.
2nd flight w/ D12-5 after repairs..... good flight to about 300' when it started corkscrewing pretty badly but made it through the flight and recovery ok. Winds were about 6 to 10 mph, so not out of range for stability according to my sims.

3rd flight w/ C6-5 and motor adapter. Very slight breeze (under 3mph). Weather-cocked noticeably and began it's now normal corkscrewing about 2/3 of the way to apogee. Recovered OK.
4th flight on the same day w/ D12-5. (I knew this would be it's last before I even loaded in the motor) Corkscrew with sever instability started at about 100'. Deployed chute 50' off the ground about 20' from the pad.

So it is now relegated to salvage for whatever usable parts can be had. I must have botched the construction somewhere along the line but everything looked good and the pre and post construction sims all looked nominal. Chalk it up to an unrecognized screwup or simply one of those rockets with a really bad attitude!!

Got any preflight pictures?

I could be mistaken bot the fin shape looks similar to the Estes Cherokee.
Funny I had the same thought.

Or the magician

Got any preflight pictures?

Or the magician

The body isn't right for the Magician, and I don't recall ever owning a Cherokee. I looked up the BMS School Rocket and that's close but not right either (unless there were earlier versions with a different fin shape, this is certainly at least ten years old).

Finally got around to adding red paint to my 54mm MAC Performance ARCAS. The masking was tedious but I think it turned out well. Same color red used for the nose cone and the tube, but the nose cone is a Wildman FWFG cone and the coloring is definitely different. I should’ve laid white on that too, but oh well. Still working on perfecting the painting process but I’m pleased with the progress so far.

935B5B1A-6D7C-4A27-A2A6-37CE1EBE6226.jpeg6BCFA711-DC96-4B27-8EFC-2487D9E1C914.jpeg2B104952-E27E-408C-ABD2-FAEC4E8438DB.jpeg

Look familiar to anyone?

View attachment 423409

Must have been some hungry mice... that was a looong nose cone originally.

Are you sure it wasn't a beaver? :oops:

Cherokee D.jpg

Finished the Semroc Mars Lander, Estes Swift 220, primed the V2 and a Swift upscale. Started repairing my Big Daddy, weather cocked and lawn darted (rear eject so nose cone took the brunt) but the nose cone rivets tore through to the upper extension down to coupler so some battle damage repair work underway. Ranger and Leviathan CRs cut, fins cut, sanded and ready to be papered but forgot the glue while at the big box today!
IMG_0621.jpgIMG_0622.jpgIMG_0623.jpg

Last edited:
Been a long time since I've done this, but super-glued 3 fingers together. :facepalm:

I had to get my wife to help me open the can of acetone
True story:

I was building a model airplane using CA when I did the inevitable, glued my fingers to the model. Fingernail polish remover was across the room, so I called my wife from the bedroom to the sunroom to bring me the bottle. She does and while I'm detaching my fingers from the balsa, she says, "There's a 'possum in the house."

Thinking it was a dead opossum brought in by one of the many cats we lived with, I said something along the lines of "Oh, great. One of the cats brought in their dead toy."

Wife says, "Nope. It's not dead."

I look to my right and there it is, sitting *in* the cat food dispenser, enjoying its meal. I ask for the wife to hand me a large, heavy book to trap it inside. I'm still partially adhered to the airplane, so not moving as freely as I'd like. While she reaches over to grab the book, the opossum decides to vacate the premises. I figure it came in through the cat door, so I close the cat door with the little metal plate that slides over the flap.

Thinking the incident over with, I continue with my evening's activities and end up sitting at my computer, browsing the Internet, when I hear a loud crunching noise. I think, "Man! That cat is being loud!" I look over the desk and there's the opossum, munching merrily away at the cat food and one of our cats, Heckle, sitting less than a foot away, all puffed up and three times larger than normal. I decide I'm going to handle this once and for all, so I grab my SCA (a medieval reenactment group) sword. It was a 3.5 foot long piece of rattan covered over in duct tape with a basket hilt made out of steel bars welded together.

I approach the miscreant marsupial with the rattan sword, when I find out how it got back inside. Seems that there was a gap that was open where one of the girls had broken some of the glass in the sliding glass door and the opossum slid through the gap. It heads through the gap to make its escape, so I quickly head outside (back door was in the sunroom) and confront it while it's between what's left of the glass doors. Naturally, being an opossum, it freezes. I pull the door aside quickly and it comes out on the wooden deck and hisses at me, showing its full set of needle-sharp teeth.

Having been the victim of a home invasion by this critter, I execute a near-perfect snap from the shoulder and strike the opossum just behind its shoulder blades, across its spine, paralyzing the 'possum. (It would have been perfect if I had struck it on the head, which was my aim point.) I then proceed to pummel the 'possum on the head until it is obvious that it is a dead opossum.

And that, dear folks, is how my sword earned its name, "Opossum Bane."

Dang. I'm going to have to name a rocket that in the near future.

The Crazy Jim stories of CAing his phone to his head and his tongue to the back of his teeth twice are the stories legends are made (fun) of...
To hear him tell it, they get funnier each time they are retold.

Finally got around to adding red paint to my 54mm MAC Performance ARCAS. The masking was tedious but I think it turned out well. Same color red used for the nose cone and the tube, but the nose cone is a Wildman FWFG cone and the coloring is definitely different. I should’ve laid white on that too, but oh well. Still working on perfecting the painting process but I’m pleased with the progress so far.

View attachment 423415View attachment 423416View attachment 423417
Looking speedy!

I’ve learned to wear nitrile gloves when using thin CA. When it got on the glove, it started to burn and had to quickly take off the glove. I’ve had CA stick to my fingers but not burn before.

Last edited:
Cherokee's have no transitions, BT55 all the way (at least for the D or E-size).

Looks like a Cherokee-D with the fins on backwards, as so many of them are. :)
Wide at the top was a reference to the fin shape.

Cherokee body tubes are as you say a BT55...

Except for my Vander-Burn Cherokee-H which has a three inch tube and an internal baffle.

EFB8859F-7450-4965-9518-4B2A8A27609C.jpeg 02E237BD-AA4B-455E-8BC2-BE9B0126F2E7.jpeg

I’ve learned to wear nitrile gloves when using thin CA. When it got on the glove, it started to burn and had to quickly take off the glove. I’ve had CA stick to my fingers but not burn before.

I hear you on that
Been there and that stuff could hurt lol !!!!

20200705_190558.jpg
Ground testing the apogee event on my 1/4 scale Viking 7 sounding rocket. I tried 3grams of fffg black powder for the first test and the airframe did not move and I noticed I have a lot of blow by in the ebay to booster connection. It's a snug fit but the weight of the payload is causing a slight sag (1/8" - 3/16") and a air gap on the top of the joint.

I had used a online calculator with the 1200 some cubic inch space I need to pressurize and the 3g should have been 3-4psi, after the first test I felt ok to double the amount. So 6 grams separated the airframe, the deployment bag made it out, but landed on the ground at the base of the cooler, so just enough I think.

VideoCapture_20200706-085641.jpg

7.5 grams produced a more energetic event, the booster pushed back on the fence and slide forward 3" vs the 6 gram test of only 1". With the heat of the day the fiberglass resin on the inside of the booster was a little sticky, with the rocket vertical the payload slides in and out of the booster with no problem.

VideoCapture_20200706-085720.jpg

I feel this was a good worse case scenario for the apogee event, I will make some improvements and try again.

~John

Attachments

• 20200705_204300_001.mp4
    6.4 MB
Back