What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got all my foam backings cut out, and silver details painted (over black base coat).

Not sure how I'd have hung them by themselves, the thin sections were already developing layer adhesion issues. Once they're superglued to the foamboard, that won't be an issue.
20200701_211658.jpg

I used hot glue to glue the upper rail Button into a loc vulcanite. I thought it was an ok idea I would have rather used epoxy but it rather far down the body tube. Its not a structure point. Good or bad idea let me know thanks

I sanded fins today.

As Gollum says, “ We must do the sanding...BUT WE HATES IT!!”

Building the fin can for my Cherokee-H outside the body tube so this will be yet another first for me.

Lately I have been doing nothing but firsts rocketry-wise. I believe it’s a good thing considering that we are all locked down in our homes and slowly losing our minds.

Started a mile-high/ Mach 1 project involving a primary and a backup rocket...
Ordered a custom streamer for the minimum diameter birds...
Have an EggFinder GPS in the works with BlackAero case...
Ordered parts and to assemble a serious portable launch pad for 10x10mm, 20x20mm, and 1010 rails...
Invested in lipo batteries and all manner of support gear to power my GPS system, and avionics...
I have a 4” Thor and a 1.2” Thor in my SBR shopping cart as I type this...
Planning to use the actual Estes paint scheme on my PSII Panavia clone...a very stylish bird...but the green will be black, the stripes will be white, and the body tube will be neon pink...

My credit card is whimpering but I pay it off every month AND my savings account is growing. I must be doing something wrong. Perhaps the lockdown has me concentrating my expenditures and not frittering it all away on targets of opportunity. Not bragging, just pondering the mystery of it all.

I used hot glue to glue the upper rail Button into a loc vulcanite. I thought it was an ok idea I would have rather used epoxy but it rather far down the body tube. Its not a structure point. Good or bad idea let me know thanks
I can't say authoritatively that it's wrong, but I sure wouldn't do it. I'd never use hot glue for anything more than trivial loads, and rail button attachment does not qualify.

So this goes straight into the build pile queue and...
Well, maybe I'll open the box and take a quick look....
NO!!!
MUST...RESIST...
MUST...RESIST...
😄

Yeah, the same happened to me: had an Estes Vapor and Executor in the build pile ahead of the Doorknob, but once I opened that box...well.....;)

I actually worked on some rockets today. 😳😁
Got the fillets put on the strakes of my MAC Performance Archer (sorry Mike, I put them on opposite of what you said; looked better to me... 🤫🤭), and finally stuck the centering rings on the mmt of the 6” Interceptor. Yea!!! Tomorrow I’ll fillet the centering rings on the Interceptor mmt.

20200704_001742.jpg
I have had packages delivered the last few days. Today was opening, looking and some planning in OR for first flights and some local altitude record attempt sims, in the G, H, J, K motor categories.

I picked up a Loki 54mm L1040 red motor. 3708Ns of total impulse, I need a Loki 54/2800 snapping case, tail cone and extended bulkhead now. I did a quick burn count in my head over the last 3 years for me and it was not much more then 3700Ns. OR sims to 32,000' and M2.7.
20200703_233625.jpg
20200704_002441.jpg
The SU nozzle vs my Loki 38mm #22 nozzle from my L2 flight.

I plan to head down to the farm and fly this in my MC Tomach 2.2" md bird. I will need to be mindful of room for the recovery gear between the MD retainer and ebay. I also picked up a 38mm and 54mm FWRG, the 38mm is being drop shipped.

Then my WM BH38 with the Loki 38/1200 case and Loki J1026 CT motor will be my J altitude record attempt.

I also picked up a tailcone rear closure for my AT 54/2560 case and I have a few motor option in the K range to fly in my MC Tomach for the K altitude record attempt.

~John

Last edited:
Final assembly of my LOC Goblin and 3D printed Nike Smoke. Epoxied the fin assembly into the Goblin. Epoxied the two centering rings in the fin can of the 'Smoke and then epoxied the mid-portion of the fuselage onto the fin can. Will be able to take a 24mm reload.LOC-Goblin-2020-07-04.jpgNikeSmoke2020-07-04.jpg

My daughter and I finally had a chance to launch some rockets this week at my parents’ farm. Three great flights. One 5-motor cluster that worked perfectly. One perfect flight from my Hawkeye-themed Ventris. And one of them is still in the corn (of course it’s the flight with both an Altimeter 3 and a Chute Release on board). I even climbed the silo with binoculars to look for it. My only hope is for our neighbor to find it in the fall when he combines.

CAEB6E04-FB75-42A5-B352-5071B9A9564C.jpegE5AD7F29-E536-4D4F-8B79-D7E8C7C9AFC0.jpeg354FE141-97DE-4730-AED3-A500E6C2927F.jpeg9F558886-F3E1-4D87-846C-B02251849D21.jpeg

My daughter and I finally had a chance to launch some rockets this week at my parents’ farm. Three great flights. One 5-motor cluster that worked perfectly. One perfect flight from my Hawkeye-themed Ventris. And one of them is still in the corn (of course it’s the flight with both an Altimeter 3 and a Chute Release on board). I even climbed the silo with binoculars to look for it. My only hope is for our neighbor to find it in the fall when he combines.

View attachment 423320View attachment 423321View attachment 423319View attachment 423322
My condolences. In fishing, that’s called going bankrupt.

Best way to celebrate July 4th. Actually, I usually go to the rifle range but couldn’t pass up the good wind conditions.

What am I seeing jettison at ignition..Apogee temporary launch lugs? Please be linear in your countdown.......five evenly space seconds/call outs...just my pet peeve.

Back