What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I learned this design does not fly, but it was fun to watch the first test flight on a small motor (center position only). Typical BT55 size rocket, but with added side boosters (no motors installed). Simulation shows no issues but the empty side boosters actually caused some major stability problems.

With the test confirmed as a failed design concept, I have disassembled and rebuilt this into three standard rockets.

Test flight #1

shuttlelauch.png

Its working!!!...............

shuttle_photo1.png

Initiate unexpected roll program

shuttle_photo2.png

Thats no good.

I got the Quest Space Clipper and Mini Space Clipper ready to fly tomorrow. I tied up a loose end from the Holverson Designs days by donating six old 144yard rolls of 1/4" elastic to the Omaha Maker Group for some of them there can make covid masks.

I must sadly admit that I've done NOTHING rocket-wise in weeks! Despite having purchased nearly a dozen new rocket kits during the lock-down, I still haven't finished painting my AeroTech ARCAS HV, mostly due to constant rain, and I haven't put the decals on the Estes Bullpup that I recently finished. I really must get back to the ARCAS so I can get it off the workbench for other projects!

To make matters worse, I just renewed my AMA (Academy of Model Aeronautics) membership, as well as membership to the local model airplane club so I can do final assembly on a 1.5M span Harvard SNJ model and start flying it. Obviously I'll need my workbench for that too, so I need to get my backside in gear!!! :rolleyes:

Have you determined the source of failure? Insufficient nose weight? Too small fins? both? Stranger designs than that have flown, so i'm curious

Thanks for asking. I believe the design could be improved with larger fins or having them mounted outward on the boosters instead. The boosters were blocking some of the fin surface area, and flies ok without them installed. That is just what I think...

To whatever extent the pods are acting like (weird looking) fins, they are really far forward, so they might be raising the CP themselves, as well as maybe by interfering with the (regular, intentional) fins.

Have you got a RS or OR model?

To whatever extent the pods are acting like (weird looking) fins, they are really far forward, so they might be raising the CP themselves, as well as maybe by interfering with the (regular, intentional) fins.
Agreed. Those pods are very large compared to what seem to be fairly small fins.

Have you got a RS or OR model?

I do, but it has since been modified with some changes for the next version. Totally agree, its like having two long fins running up the side which is less than ideal.

Must be good painting weather everywhere. Full disclosure: I really didn't do much rocketry wise today. Mostly I went fishing (I know, different thread). I did sand some rough top coats which was the results of what I have been doing the last few days - painting. I finally broke down and made a trip to ACE to buy some spray paint: White, orange, red, yellow. I had a bunch of naked rockets that I have been building from Estes Designer Special. I got at least a base coat of white on all but one rocket. I plan on top coating a couple of the white rockets and maybe painting a fin or two. Finished painting the WAC corporal. 20200603_165617.jpg

I went to a late morning launch before things got too hot. Another guy flew a RC 150% Estes Hawk on a C6-3. It went quite well. I flew the Mini Space Clipper on an A10-3T that blew through. It did fly right on an A3-4T. I also flew the regular Space Clipper on an old C5-3 which didn't cato. I had one of the original Silver Hawks from the late '90s fly away. Plus other flights. I got home and made and glued a new fin on the original Tangent. I'm also making elevators and a rudder for a Mediocre Fred that somebody gave me. Dialing the Crealty back in.

I went to a late morning launch before things got too hot. Another guy flew a RC 150% Estes Hawk on a C6-3. It went quite well. I flew the Mini Space Clipper on an A10-3T that blew through. It did fly right on an A3-4T. I also flew the regular Space Clipper on an old C5-3 which didn't cato. I had one of the original Silver Hawks from the late '90s fly away. Plus other flights. I got home and made and glued a new fin on the original Tangent. I'm also making elevators and a rudder for a Mediocre Fred that somebody gave me. Dialing the Crealty back in.
Was that the same Silver Hawk that tried to escape/disappear previously?

I was waiting for other folks to chime in as I certainly remember waiting for the TV to warm up... Now I just feel old...
I remember tv, radios, my old 286 computer, and it felt like waiting on the internet to warm up as slow as it was on dial up back in the early 90's.

Epoxied a rail button backing strip to the rear centering ring of my Formula 54.

Its not much but the shop in the garage was well over 90 degrees today and I waited until about 11:30pm before venturing out to do rocketry.

Built some rocketry orders today for things I need (North Coast Rocketry, LOC, Wildman,etc) and some Aerotech research that didn’t pan out.

Primer, primer, primer
View attachment 419156
View attachment 419157

Paint, paint, paint
View attachment 419159
View attachment 419160
View attachment 419161

But no build, build, build.:(
Laters.

Now that silver beauty on the right - I think I built that one as a kid! Somebody even told be the name and I forget it again! Starliner or something? All that balsa was tough, I didn't have the patience then that I do today. And I was just recounting to my dear beloved last night, I was so impressed on its first flight how much fire came out the back! My dad knew better - sure enough, when it got back down, the whole back end was burned up. Brilliant teenage rocket scientist had forgotten to glue the engine mount in! (I must have been 12 or 13, no more than 14 at the time).

🤣 Don't forget in the original "Duck Dodgers in the 24th & 1/2 Century", Duck Dodgers has his rocket in reverse when he attempts to take off, and he ends up with only tip of the nose cone sticking out of the ground! Those cartoons and Peanuts pretty much defined my childhood, best stuff ever. The only thing that I've know to ever come close since (and it is in a class by itself as well) is the truly great "Calvin & Hobbes". .... <stunned realization> Oh good glory! I'm out of sides and no Spaceman Spiff! Blast it all!

🤣 Don't forget in the original "Duck Dodgers in the 24th & 1/2 Century", Duck Dodgers has his rocket in reverse when he attempts to take off, and he ends up with only tip of the nose cone sticking out of the ground!
Duck Dodgers is for sure one of the all-time classics. I must go and watch it now.

Try Roger Ramjet.

Personally, I just never got Calvin and Hobbs. Probably because I was never a child.

Oh, that's rough. I've never NOT been a child! Calvin's hyperactive, can't pay attention in school fantasy world is really hilarious. complete with an imaginary tiger friend to act as a conscience/comic foil; a baby sitter that he's scare witless of; a class bully, a love/hate "girlfriend", Suzy Derkins - to me it's really a great comprehensive childhood strip, obviously exaggerated.

Now with Roger Ramjet thrown in there... what about George Jetson? Glory, I need an octagonal box!

Last edited:
Back