What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I saw the "rocket of the day" special and mulled it over yesterday. The code still worked this morning, so it was an impulse buy. I wanted the parts to try and adapt the Electron kit for a larger motor anyway. I didn't want to pay that much shipping for a few dollars in tube sections, so I added a whole new kit.

It's called weather cocking, named after rooster-themed weathervanes.

My heart almost stopped when I saw you were going to launch a Hi-flier on a C6... then I saw it was a Hi-flier XL and I resumed breathing. :)

You should get some C6-0s for the Vortico for maximum entertainment. :) They'll still land right nearby...
Thanks. My understanding for weather cocking is that the wind will push the rocket into the wind, not perpendicular.

I did shoot a Viking with C6. Never saw it again. They're cheap and easy to build. I figure some kid found it.

What was interesting about the Vortico is that there didn't seem to be much difference between the A10-0T (first flight) and B6-4 (second flight).

Was it just the Vortico that behaved that way? or was it all of them? Maybe a gyroscopic type effect from the spin? Otherwise what neil_w2 said... 🤔 :rolleyes:
It's happened a couple times with the larger rockets (Hi-flier XL and Red Nova) using an engine adapter so it's underpowered. Perhaps it wants to go upwind but not enough power so ends up going sideways.

The trade winds have been 15 to 20 mph for the past month and probably for another month. The C11 and D12s will go straight up once the winds die down.

ossible winds were moving slightly differently above the tree level.

This is entirely possible. At HARA's field, its easy to tell when a rocket clears the altitude of the hills (alabama mountains lol) because the smoke trail can have a slight jog

I got the last set of fillets on a BT60 Speed Demon. Started looking at assembling the SMT Designs Ebay. I've got a Missile Works RRC2+ and a Venom 7.4v lipo. I would like to use some ferrules on the wire ends that go in the terminal block and have seen them mentioned in other posts. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I've got a crimp took I bought for another purpose and wonder if it would work.

Did the final weigh-in and CG verification for a scratch build 2 or 3 stage project. (one that I filed under " successful launch or lawn dart"). So the Ternion-D is awaiting it's maiden flight.
However the best thing I did today was to load up 3 rockets with some A8-3s and head to the small soccer field behind the house so that my grandson could finally push the button and make the "wockets go woosh". Best thing today....scratch that....best thing all week!!

Ternion-D.jpg

To paraphrase Hamlet: Tubes, Tubes, Tubes!

20200529_212821.jpg

I've set up temporary building measures until my table gets moved over with the rest of the furniture

Last edited:
And even more nosecones, nosecones, nosecones!

How will your rocket building facilities at your new space program headquarters compare to your previous space program headquarters?

Well, I actually have a room for it now instead of just my living room. Small backyard for painting instead of a balcony. Overall its a plus

A big event for me today, 1st ever rocket launch. Klima Pegasus on a B4-4. SNAFUd the first launch which spectacularly cartwheeled at apogee of about 30 feet and plowed into the bushes at warp speed (don't ask why, it's too embarrassing). Second launch however was perfect, I reckon I got to about 350 feet and probably about 500m downrange, total flight time 30 sec. The Pegasus is a very sturdy airframe and flies well. Good quality materials, better than Estes. Then watched the Dragon launch. Superb day!

Awesome launch by Space X
^^THIS^^
We logged into the SpaceX stream at about T-20:00 and put it up on the big screen in the living room so my whole family could watch it together. My boys were interested but did not seem super excited, although the 12 year old announced that he was setting his alarm so he could get up early and watch the docking in the morning.

^^THIS^^
We logged into the SpaceX stream at about T-20:00 and put it up on the big screen in the living room so my whole family could watch it together. My boys were interested but did not seem super excited, although the 12 year old announced that he was setting his alarm so he could get up early and watch the docking in the morning.
They just docked a few minutes early, hope he caught it... :goodjob:

Trying to solve a weird problem with the Crealty. Building that Quest Mini Space Clipper. It's in sort of a lull as the first salvo of glue dries.

I'm wondering how many here brain fart and say "drying" when talking about resin, epoxy, bondo, or even solder? Or saying warming up when your computer is booting up because you use to come home from school and had to wait a few minutes for the family console TV to warn up before you could watch Bugs Bunny?

Back