What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got a lot done today:

Finished the fillets on my BT-50 Haymaker and foamed the nosecone. I'll start painting it this weekend.

Gave a Mach 1 Boost the first layer of primer.

More sanding and painting on a Wildman Mini build.

Foamed the nosecone on a BT-55 Saberhawk, sanded and added the 2nd layer of primer.

Working on fillets for the Mach 1 BT50 Black Brant, and struggling with modifying a Big Daddy rocksim file into a 4" fiberglass Bigger Daddy from AMW. I failed to weigh and measure parts prior to assembly, thinking there was a database of fiberglass parts that would be easy to match. What I find in rocksim 10 is limited, so modifying things like a 54mm x 5.25 inch centering ring to 4 inch. Very much a rookie with rocksim, I think once I get sizes at least close to accurate, I can adjust total weight with some mass object, yes? Is there a better way to do this? Recommended forum thread?

Playing with one of the coolest bulkhead pass through connectors I've seen. They were just the things for my L3 bulkheads, and yes, I'll be selling them soon.

View attachment 417984 View attachment 417985 View attachment 417987

Got the bulkhead connectors added to the web store. These generated so much reaction here I figured I'd get the most of my forum sponsorship and announce them here too.

Store Link: https://www.labratrocketry.com/product-page/electrical-connectors
Announcement: https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/premium-bulkhead-electrical-connectors.159698/

1515_3-6197.jpg 1515_3-6207.jpg

Working on fillets for the Mach 1 BT50 Black Brant, and struggling with modifying a Big Daddy rocksim file into a 4" fiberglass Bigger Daddy from AMW. I failed to weigh and measure parts prior to assembly, thinking there was a database of fiberglass parts that would be easy to match. What I find in rocksim 10 is limited, so modifying things like a 54mm x 5.25 inch centering ring to 4 inch. Very much a rookie with rocksim, I think once I get sizes at least close to accurate, I can adjust total weight with some mass object, yes? Is there a better way to do this? Recommended forum thread?
In Open Rocket, can adjust the final weight and C.G. for the entire rocket. To me, seems more accurate than weighing each component but not sure if that’s true.

In Open Rocket, can adjust the final weight and C.G. for the entire rocket. To me, seems more accurate than weighing each component but not sure if that’s true.
In the finished product it is more accurate to do CG and Mass overrides, however as a build in progress simply weighing the parts and imputing the mass as you go helps you "see" what effects mass has on your build. Some builds can use less noseweight by simply knowing that you built the rear as light as possible also by knowing the mass of each object before it went in to the build you know how much the "extras" were like adhesives and paint after you are finished.

Today the temperature hit 101 degrees.

I waited patiently until the temp in the garage dropped down to 90 at about 10pm before picking up where I left off on my Madcow / RW Formula 54...internal fillets.

I even used BSI 30 minute thinking that would be the smart thing to do.

Reached gel state at 10 minutes...I use a timer...and had done only one (1) fillet.

Tomorrow I’m going to use West Systems and Extra Slow hardener.

After that fustercluck, I dug out my Giant Leap Rocketry hardpoint and considered using it in my LaserLOC 1.6 so I could switch from baffle to AV bay. Then I weighed the hard point at almost 2 ounces...not good for a MinDiameter 38mm rocket with an airframe weight of 14 ounces.

Some days I’d rather just go to the range and shoot...

Today the temperature hit 101 degrees.

I waited patiently until the temp in the garage dropped down to 90 at about 10pm before picking up where I left off on my Madcow / RW Formula 54...internal fillets.
Better off in Indiana, but at 90 in the afternoon, is why I'm gonna finish installing a hefty window unit in my workshop/garage today.

This morning, those rocket parts I've been waiting for were finally at my doorstep. If I can now remember what I had planned to do with them, I'll be back in the workshop very soon!

Both methods should be valid in the calculations. It just depends on how versatile you want the sim to be.

If i have a pretty basic kit rocket that I'll only fly recommended motors in, I'll just create the outline in OR and use the CG override function.

But if I'm building from scratch or modifying or using a wide range of motor lengths (3-6XL grain), then I go by components. That allows me to put noseweight objects in the front, and adjust that object to stabilize the rocket with different length motors. Plus I can put in an object to account for case spacers if necessary.

At the end of the day, its user preference

Both methods should be valid in the calculations. It just depends on how versatile you want the sim to be.

If i have a pretty basic kit rocket that I'll only fly recommended motors in, I'll just create the outline in OR and use the CG override function.

But if I'm building from scratch or modifying or using a wide range of motor lengths (3-6XL grain), then I go by components. That allows me to put noseweight objects in the front, and adjust that object to stabilize the rocket with different length motors. Plus I can put in an object to account for case spacers if necessary.

At the end of the day, its user preference

Plus when you weigh as you go, the final override acts as a checksum -- if the CG suddenly jumps you know you've got some double-checking to do.

Plus when you weigh as you go, the final override acts as a checksum -- if the CG suddenly jumps you know you've got some double-checking to do.
Both methods are useful.

Weighing as you go is good for planning.

For final determination of stability before launch, weigh the whole thing and measure CG. That is *always* most accurate.

Thats what the "Paint and Glue" mass object is for :cool:

ShotokuTech has been putting multiple cameras in rockets. It simply a matter of iterations and adaptation of the next generation technologies. Now, ShotokuTech has done it: VR Headset Rocket Ride.
#VRHeadsetRocket #VRHeadset #Rocket #VR #VirtualReality

I also started working on some nose cone detail stuff, which involved finding a glue that would stick to a LOC nose cone. Actually found something that actually seems to work and is cheap... :oops:

That is amazing. Of course it happens right after I said "literally nothing will stick to it" lol - thanks for the followup!

Bit of a big one for me today. My first rocket arrived (Klima Pegasus). It's an RTF so today's most challenging lesson was trying up and attaching/folding the chute. Planning maiden flight soon, subject to Covid 19 restrictions and weather.

yesturday our tripoli launch was scrubbed for winds. Today was at the upper end of the wind limits but turned out fine. Long story short got my level one back, haven’t been certed since 2000. Loc amraam 2.6” on a h123. Once I get all the media and data together I will make another post. On the pad. Then flew the MDRM on h148. Both good flights. View attachment 418116View attachment 418117
I wish I had some wide open spaces like that to fly, but I bet the wind can be quite tight from time to time. Nice job!

Finally got my Fliskits "Night Whisper" done. Here's a few pics of the rocket, details, and the carrying case I made. (There's so many fragile bits on this thing, I'd beat it up before I got to any launch. Therefore, the carrying case, made of 1/8" plywood and reinforcements.)

This was a challenging project, but it turned out beautifully. Cannot stress enough how cool this kit is, and what gems these complex Flis kits are. I'd love to get Jim Flis to sign it!
View attachment 418292View attachment 418293View attachment 418294View attachment 418295

Nice build!

Back